71 Mach shut down

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sca5234

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach One
I'll preface by saying I'm quite the novice mechanic. Car was running perfectly fine during a normal weekend drive till I got 100 yards from the house and it just completely shut off.

Nothing happening when turning the key over besides the occasional flash of the radio

After pushing it in I'm trying to figure out exactly where should I start. I took the battery to get checked by AutoZone and O'Reilly's today both said it was fine🤨 when I hooked everything back up and cleaned up some terminals I still got the occasional flash of the radio.

But when I put the battery charger on it the radio stayed on and any additional trying of starting or trying to cut the lights on results in it going black again

Battery issue? Grounding? Starter solenoid? Ignition switch? Have to get a volt meter tomorrow as I can't find mine so some of these I couldn't test .
Any help will be appreciated! Included some pictures of the solenoid and everything just to see if something looks off

Attachments

• PXL_20240818_210042462.jpg
    PXL_20240818_210042462.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 3
  • PXL_20240818_210023070.jpg
    PXL_20240818_210023070.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 3
I wouldn't think it would be the battery. Even if the battery is crap, once its running, it'll keep running if you take the battery out and toss it in the river. If everything is working correctly, the alternator will keep it running.

I guess the cheapest and easiest is to look at all your connections for lose connections and/or something shorted. I see you have a bunch of home-made wires with hand-crimped ends. One of those could have come lose. And if you have a set of jumper cables or a battery in a different car, you can rule out a bad battery. I'd hook it up to a different car and see if it tries to crank.

I'll preface by saying I'm quite the novice mechanic. Car was running perfectly fine during a normal weekend drive till I got 100 yards from the house and it just completely shut off.

Nothing happening when turning the key over besides the occasional flash of the radio

After pushing it in I'm trying to figure out exactly where should I start. I took the battery to get checked by AutoZone and O'Reilly's today both said it was fine🤨 when I hooked everything back up and cleaned up some terminals I still got the occasional flash of the radio.

But when I put the battery charger on it the radio stayed on and any additional trying of starting or trying to cut the lights on results in it going black again

Battery issue? Grounding? Starter solenoid? Ignition switch? Have to get a volt meter tomorrow as I can't find mine so some of these I couldn't test .
Any help will be appreciated! Included some pictures of the solenoid and everything just to see if something looks off
Very simplictly, these cars need two things to run; spark and gas. You can look down your carb after you remove the air cleaner and pump your accelerator linkage and you should see two small streams of gas squirt. If there, now you can focus on electrical.
Pop your distributor cap and trip your solinoid and look to see if your points have a strong spark and not locked closed. Double check that you have a ground strap from back of passenger side head to fire wall.

I wouldn't think it would be the battery. Even if the battery is crap, once its running, it'll keep running if you take the battery out and toss it in the river. If everything is working correctly, the alternator will keep it running.

I guess the cheapest and easiest is to look at all your connections for lose connections and/or something shorted. I see you have a bunch of home-made wires with hand-crimped ends. One of those could have come lose. And if you have a set of jumper cables or a battery in a different car, you can rule out a bad battery. I'd hook it up to a different car and see if it tries to crank.
I agree I bought this car from a electrician who decided to make this a living nightmare for me I've included some pictures of the before when I got it to trying to narrow down the headache to what I have now. It's been running great for months just decided to have this episode and I'm just trying to figure out where to start but I agree probably more it's probably in this over complicated mess

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240818-181029.png
    Screenshot_20240818-181029.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20240818-181054.png
    Screenshot_20240818-181054.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 4
Very simplictly, these cars need two things to run; spark and gas. You can look down your carb after you remove the air cleaner and pump your accelerator linkage and you should see two small streams of gas squirt. If there, now you can focus on electrical.
Pop your distributor cap and trip your solinoid and look to see if your points have a strong spark and not locked closed. Double check that you have a ground strap from back of passenger side head to fire wall.
Carb is doing it's thing. I'm trying my best to locate this ground strap right now

Yeah, if power to the whole car is blinking off and on as you see with that radio, sounds like maybe the ground is very loose or not connected or the same thing on the positive side. If you have a test light or multimeter, I'd work my way out from the battery and see what has power and what doesn't. That wiring on the fender well might be a bit challenging to sort out but if all power is blinking off and on for everything, it should be pretty close to the connections to the main + or - of the battery I'd think.

Looks like you have aftermarket battery cables, which means the factory battery to chassis ground is no longer present. These cars did not use the head to firewall ground strap. The factory negative cable had a strap that attached to the fender apron by the lower fastener (of the no longer present) voltage regulator. Add a heavy gauge cable from battery (-) to the fender apron.

What is all that stuff under the mat? Any ideas? Guessing it has been removed? The PO ain't wiring my house!
Looks like maybe headlight relays and circuit breakers. I wonder if it has upgraded halogen headlights?

In the pics I see the electric fans (if not relays for headlights, maybe for the fans?) and it looks like a relay for the ignition.

Could be too much electrical draw over the weekend.

Last edited:
I agree I bought this car from a electrician who decided to make this a living nightmare for me I've included some pictures of the before when I got it to trying to narrow down the headache to what I have now. It's been running great for months just decided to have this episode and I'm just trying to figure out where to start but I agree probably more it's probably in this over complicated mess
Your after pictures in the OP look like you're missing the voltage regulator. Did he do some sort of 1-wire alternator setup or a 3g swap?

Looks like the mat covers up quite a hornet's nest. It looks like you have a PowerMaster one-wire alternator. The distributor appears to not be the stock distributor. Is that the ignition box on the top of the radiator? If so, that may be the source of your problem, bad wiring and overheated ignition box. I'm guessing (betting) the previous owner didn't have a clue about wiring a vehicle.
I agree with other posts, I would start by checking grounds, make sure the fender apron is grounded, and then a ground from the fender apron to the engine block. Even though not stock, I like having the ground strap from the engine block to the firewall. Too many chances for ground connections through the sheet metal and chassis to have become corroded. When I'm done with my build I'll have 10-gauge ground wires running to the dash and to the trunk area for good grounds for the taillights and gas tank.

What is all that stuff under the mat? Any ideas? Guessing it has been removed? The PO ain't wiring my house!
All that has been removed after a long tedious stint. This guy went absolutely bonkers on wiring adding fans, jump start mechanism under the hood, to kill switchs to whatever else that I had to remove from the unnecessary things he did 🫨

Your after pictures in the OP look like you're missing the voltage regulator. Did he do some sort of 1-wire alternator setup or a 3g swap?
Yes voltage regulator is gone after the one wire alternator swap

Looks like the mat covers up quite a hornet's nest. It looks like you have a PowerMaster one-wire alternator. The distributor appears to not be the stock distributor. Is that the ignition box on the top of the radiator? If so, that may be the source of your problem, bad wiring and overheated ignition box. I'm guessing (betting) the previous owner didn't have a clue about wiring a vehicle.
I agree with other posts, I would start by checking grounds, make sure the fender apron is grounded, and then a ground from the fender apron to the engine block. Even though not stock, I like having the ground strap from the engine block to the firewall. Too many chances for ground connections through the sheet metal and chassis to have become corroded. When I'm done with my build I'll have 10-gauge ground wires running to the dash and to the trunk area for good grounds for the taillights and gas tank.
Yeah I was showing someone what the before looked like when I first bought the car. it was overwhelming. Currently there is a ground going from the battery to the engine block. Do I need to change that to the
Looks like you have aftermarket battery cables, which means the factory battery to chassis ground is no longer present. These cars did not use the head to firewall ground strap. The factory negative cable had a strap that attached to the fender apron by the lower fastener (of the no longer present) voltage regulator. Add a heavy gauge cable from battery (-) to the fender apron.
T
Yeah right now the

Yeah I was showing someone what the before looked like when I first bought the car. it was overwhelming. Currently there is a ground going from the battery to the engine block. Do I need to change that to the

T

Yeah right now the
Currently the negative
Currently the negative is hooked directly to the engine block, included the picture. Should I have that attached to the fender apron instead?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240819-080216.png
    Screenshot_20240819-080216.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 1
Do what Mac said and add a cable from the negative terminal to the apron or core support. Leave the cable on the block.

Currently the negative is hooked directly to the engine block, included the picture. Should I have that attached to the fender apron instead?

You need to add a cable from the battery (-) terminal to the fender apron. Unless there is another engine to body ground strap hiding somewhere we can't see, you have no ground connection from the battery to the chassis. Engine, trans and radiator are all rubber mounted.

Each person has their own ideas as to what they do to their car. I come from the K.I.S.S. school of automotive mechanics. I like everything simple, functional. It appears that the previous owner's ideas were to change the factory cooling fan /shroud, with electric fans and relays. Don't know why, not my Beeswax, but if you could go back in time and buy a brand new Mustang right off the lot, I'm sure you'd, we'ed, be suprised how well it ran and how everything works.

Each person has their own ideas as to what they do to their car. I come from the K.I.S.S. school of automotive mechanics. I like everything simple, functional. It appears that the previous owner's ideas were to change the factory cooling fan /shroud, with electric fans and relays. Don't know why, not my Beeswax, but if you could go back in time and buy a brand new Mustang right off the lot, I'm sure you'd, we'ed, be suprised how well it ran and how everything works.
Yes previous owner didn't abide by that mantra 😆 quite the headache he has left me to resolve.

Latest posts

Back