72 sprint conv up for sale soon - 2F03F184285

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting....

I really like the pic's just posted showing the really cool car that would lure anybody to purchase it at 6000. But what is bothering me is that all the cars around the neighborhood are ALL early 2000's kinda makes me feel a little weird that these beautiful example photos making one think this is a pretty nice car...until I notice the photos may be 15 years old or close. Any idea why they would send such aged photos?

Interesting....

I really like the pic's just posted showing the really cool car that would lure anybody to purchase it at 6000. But what is bothering me is that all the cars around the neighborhood are ALL early 2000's kinda makes me feel a little weird that these beautiful example photos making one think this is a pretty nice car...until I notice the photos may be 15 years old or close. Any idea why they would send such aged photos?
I cannot vouch for anything unless I saw it with my own eyes. When I had my sprint, I tried to keep in touch with ALL of the other known owners via mail, email or an occasional phone call. This lady (Della) would call me out of the blue for advice and I gave he general info since I had not seen pics of her car and had not seen it myself. I was on vacation in that area so I decided to check it out as a favor to her and for my own curiosity. I wanted to check out the "rest" of the car and not go based upon some pretty pictures. I have see pics and/or in person half of the fifty convertibles and please note that 90% of the info on the convertibles on the website www.1972mustangsprint.com was provided by me after countless hours of research finding the owners and contacting them. So, this was just another car I wanted to see before it was shipped overseas or taken apart for a ten year restoration which has happened to more than one of them. The bottom line is I have an interest in these cars. The person that bough mine bought it solely based upon my pictures and description. Is there a risk in buying this car - of course - but if I wanted one badly enough you could do a lot worse or spend $20K or more for the handful of restored ones if you could convince the owner to sell. If it makes you feel any better I think those same cars were in the driveway when I saw the car last summer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay....so I can see "buyer be ware". Fair enough because the 10,000 value dont match the pic's you took verses the nice ones recently posted. Oh and I get it, that the other cars in the drive are still there I was referring to the cars at other homes in the background being early 2000 year models. Just about all my neighbors at my house in Florida still drive the same cars they had in 2000 when we moved there except 2 ....one died and the other trades his 2005 Caddy in because it was 3 years old and too many miles. I think it was wearing about 18,000 miles :s :s Oh to own a dealership in FloriDUH!

I called the guy ....this car is not for sale!

Thanks for the new pics, Rex. ::thumb::

But they beg the question of whether this is a real Sprint 'vert, a poorly done copy, or just bad restoration/maintenance. Some of the things I noticed right off:

• Hood stripes are all wrong, and poorly done (not straight or duplicated well at all)
  • blue front bumper should be white
  • rocker paint is all wrong - should not continue over the fender flares

Don't get me wrong, I know you know Sprints. This could very easily be a poorly done repaint from a past restoration effort. But I'd be concerned (given the information available) that this could be a white/white/white-blue vert trying to be a Sprint tribute.

Given the fact that you haven't already pointed these things out after having owned an essentially perfect example of what this car should be looking like, I hesitated to post these concerns. But to the casual observer, they wouldn't be that noticeable.

It would be easy to verify a "real" Sprint and I'm sure Rex can spot one in the dark. No telling what P.O has done to paint and other minor details. Car would need full resto anyways. If I had 6 large avail at this moment, I would be headed that way with trailer.

It would be easy to verify a "real" Sprint and I'm sure Rex can spot one in the dark. No telling what P.O has done to paint and other minor details. Car would need full resto anyways. If I had 6 large avail at this moment, I would be headed that way with trailer.
So I've followed the owners of the fifty sprint convertibles for THIRTY YEARS so I think I know what I'm talking about. This car has been in the family for a very long time (maybe even the original owners) and is on the registry which no one seems to pay attention to. The last three digit are 285 so let there be NO QUESTION - it is the real deal with a old cheesy repaint. As for the pictures - yes they could be older. She sent me them in a email but I did not ask how old they were. The car I saw (at dusk and raining) matched the pictures she sent. I was on my way to Tampa, snapped some pictures and spoke to the woman for a few minutes and was on my way. It's a 20 footer and needs restoration for sure. I'm just putting the info out there and I could care less who buys the car. The owner is not very computer literate and I said I'd post the info (and I've put in my two cents) and so there you have it. It would be great if some that lives closer would give the car a 2nd look. I'm a 1,000 miles away too and since I have no interest in buying it I've done more than most people would and yet get dogged for doing so. If anyone cares the car is in Coral Springs near the Sawgrass Expressway.

Nobody's "dogging" you for posting this, Rex. Pull the wedgie out and re-read the words. :angel:

Without the VIN information and knowledge of Sprints that you have, anybody would be concerned when they see those pictures. It's no different than seeing misplaced Mach 1 stickers and tons of non-standard options and later finding out it has an "02" VIN, or seeing those Boss 351 stickers on an "05" VIN. People do lots of stuff to make their cars seem more "rare," desirable, and valuable.

Again - Thank you for the new pics and information. Because of your Sprint knowledge and input, there's no reason anybody should feel leery about inquiring about this car. Especially since the 1971MustangSprint site seems to be down, broken, or otherwise... despite your hotlink having a typo. ;) :D

I still really want it, but the 6g's at this moment is holding me back per my financial advisor (wife)!!!

As Rex pointed out Vin 285 it is the sequence of the real deal.

I also think Rex went above and beyond what anyone else would do the help someone sell a car that wasn't his.

Thank you Rex for all of the info you have supplied us with :)

After a LOT of research I found the response from our beloved Mustang'rs in other forums dont really give these cars any credibility at all. 9.5 out of 10 gave these less credit than our standard 71-3's. Comments like "it's JUST a paint job"

Even pointing out a sale in 2013 and the car brought the same amount as a base model convertible. So VA...I see how you have built up some frustration after all the work you've done. Even our own Mustang community gives these cars a thumbs down.

Well for the record I did call the fellow twice and we've come together on a price!! Now VA, the only thing I ask is that you dont call them back up and convince them its a 10,000.00 car!!! From the brothers description those "nice" photos are just that....15 plus years old. I was SPOT on in my observation.

sprintsforsale1972.jpg

After a LOT of research I found the response from our beloved Mustang'rs in other forums don't really give these cars any credibility at all. 9.5 out of 10 gave these less credit than our standard 71-3's. Comments like "it's JUST a paint job"

Even pointing out a sale in 2013 and the car brought the same amount as a base model convertible. So VA...I see how you have built up some frustration after all the work you've done. Even our own Mustang community gives these cars a thumbs down.

Well for the record I did call the fellow twice and we've come together on a price!! Now VA, the only thing I ask is that you don't call them back up and convince them its a 10,000.00 car!!! From the brothers description those "nice" photos are just that....15 plus years old. I was SPOT on in my observation.
When I first got the pictures I never realized they were that old. I starting asking for pictures ten years ago so maybe they took them and just forgot to send them. When finally I saw the pics I thought the car looks pretty good but many questions remained. Well - when I saw the engine, underside and interior that is when my estimated of value dropped, especially given it may have been ten years since it was started. Anyway - it's hard to peg a value on these cars. While they are nothing special from a nuts and bolts perspective, they are documented and have an interesting history and I'm convinced fully restored can sell for $25K or more based upon actual sales. Since there are not a lot of them they are usually sold by word of mouth. If you need anything let me know - after all I did write a book about these cars. http://www.blurb.com/b/43843-cherry-blossom-sprint-mustangs

Dana I take payment for college advice in the form of 71-3 verts. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lollerz yeah I've been chasing convertibles and for the price I feel like I'm getting a 2fer here. OH and the college advice..... rofl: :blah::

jeremycfr Wrote:  Dana I take payment for college advice in the form of 71-3 verts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yeah I've been chasing convertibles and for the price I feel like I'm getting a 2fer here. OH and the college advice.....

When I first got the pictures I never realized they were that old. I starting asking for pictures ten years ago so maybe they took them and just forgot to send them. When finally I saw the pics I thought the car looks pretty good but many questions remained. Well - when I saw the engine, underside and interior that is when my estimated of value dropped, especially given it may have been ten years since it was started. Anyway - it's hard to peg a value on these cars. While they are nothing special from a nuts and bolts perspective, they are documented and have an interesting history and I'm convinced fully restored can sell for $25K or more based upon actual sales. Since there are not a lot of them they are usually sold by word of mouth. If you need anything let me know - after all I did write a book about these cars. http://www.blurb.com/b/43843-cherry-blos...t-mustangs
Cool thank you! We'll be in touch we've scheduled to meet within the next few weekends. Tomorrow I start a new project and it will consume most of my life. I'll put the car in storage or heck may keep it here and put the 67 in storage who knows. When the 71 sells it will come back to the house as a permanent resident.

Now instead of being "that guy that has two Mustangs in his garage" I hope to be "that guy that has the two old Mustang CONVERTIBLES in his garage"

As soon as I can get there I hope to send you guys some pic's and description of what I hope is a diamond in the ruff!!!!

Sorry about all the CHALLENGES I presented but I don't let go of my money easily, and after 2 bad experiences I am not ashamed of asking a LOT of questions.

"diddy why do ask SO many questions .... you're mean (aka daddy your an azz)" my daughter ...."if you want to live in a trailer park I'll stop protecting the family's money... you can get a minimum wage job instead of going to college like I did" she pretty much shuts up after that.

When I first got the pictures I never realized they were that old. I starting asking for pictures ten years ago so maybe they took them and just forgot to send them. When finally I saw the pics I thought the car looks pretty good but many questions remained. Well - when I saw the engine, underside and interior that is when my estimated of value dropped, especially given it may have been ten years since it was started. Anyway - it's hard to peg a value on these cars. While they are nothing special from a nuts and bolts perspective, they are documented and have an interesting history and I'm convinced fully restored can sell for $25K or more based upon actual sales. Since there are not a lot of them they are usually sold by word of mouth. If you need anything let me know - after all I did write a book about these cars. http://www.blurb.com/b/43843-cherry-blossom-sprint-mustangs
They may be "nothing special from a nuts and bolts perspective," or "JUST a paint job," but they ('72 Sprint Verts) are also a lot more rare than say, a "California Special," or the revered "Twister Special."

Just more Vintage Mustangers hatin' on the '71-'73s, IMHO. :dodgy:

4-4.JPG4-25.JPGMaybe they are not that rare. Heck - here is a picture of four in the same place which was probably the largest gathering since April 1972. Serioulsy - this did not happen by dumb luck. I contacted every owner and four of us met in Nashville at the 40th. Can you tell whose car is whose? :rolleyes:

Mine was the only one with the original wheels and trim rings and hupcaps.

If I recall there was not ONE other sprint (coupe or fastback) at Nashville.

Rex...I loved that Sprint you sold. Beautiful car. I have not seen another Sprint here in Nashville on the road. There is a nice coupe Sprint for sale in the Knoxville area.

I didn't know anything about Sprints in general until I saw Rex's car on this site.

Latest posts

Back