72 sprint conv up for sale soon - 2F03F184285

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Life2b1.JPGDicksCars.JPG

I didn't know anything about Sprints in general until I saw Rex's car on this site.
I remember those Sprint Mustangs from back when new. Never seen any Sprint Mavericks or Sprint Pintos though
So you probably have not seen these pics either.

Ford_Order.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Great thread. Great postings. Big thanks to Rex for all the extra documentation and info!!!!

:idea::idea::idea:

Probably need to consider placing all that type stuff on a WIKI thread concerning Sprints!

I have always liked the Sprints. Especially the Q code ones and the convertibles.

Dana - I hope you get it bought. I think it will always be a rare car and desirable.

Ray

Anyone know if this convertible found a new home?

It is serial ending #300 and used to owned by Ralph Gissal.

The new owner added the NACA hood and wheels and "new" paint scheme.

Evidently it was bid up to $30K per the Mecum site.

I should send him a bill for the sign - those pictures are of my car.

I'm an all original kinda guy....guess ya'll havent figured that out. I have one hope...this is a Magnum 500 car...there were only a few distributed with those wheels. IF its the wheel covers...so be it!

I've seen the Pinto, Maverick at different stages of my life. the Pinto was WAY back when...the Maverick seems like 15 years ago. I looked at a coupe here locally, that i posted. It had some blemishes in the top as in tree branch, not bad but a crease enough to turn me away. Well I dont do TOPS! I passed on it for 4500.00. GLAD I did! I go to a LOT of shows...cant say I've seen more than 2 Mustangs of any configuration in all those years.

Great thread. Great postings. Big thanks to Rex for all the extra documentation and info!!!!

:idea::idea::idea:

Probably need to consider placing all that type stuff on a WIKI thread concerning Sprints!

I have always liked the Sprints. Especially the Q code ones and the convertibles.

Dana - I hope you get it bought. I think it will always be a rare car and desirable.

Ray
I created a facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/185145434963713/

Of course I could go on and on about sprints.

With regard to the Magnum 500's, there were no options on the convertibles - all 50 were identical. AM/radio, whitewalls, etc.

Rex,

Do you know where that photo of the coupe, convertible, and fastback was taken? The area looks familiar to me for some reason. Were these Dick Smither's cars?

I met another couple of sprint nuts a few weeks ago. The guy is collecting all the sprint types he can. He still needs a pinto and a vert to finish the collection.

Here's a pic of them. Note of the shirts he had made up.

IMG_20150328_153959.jpg

You can't see it in the pic but the guy had a bright red belt to complete the look. Cool guys to talk to. I invited him to join the forum. I feel sure he would have jumped at the change to buy the Florida vert had I remembered to tell him about it.

There's a Member of the Mustang Car Club of New England that has a Sprint FB, the car looks like it just rolled of the show room floor.

if anyone has a chance to get to any of the MCCNE shows you need to check out his car, he's at every show.

Every time I see Bob's car it makes me want a Sprint convertible even more!!

DSCN0255 copy.jpg

DSCN0291.JPG

20130615_105343.jpg

20130615_105409.jpg

20130615_105630.jpg

Maybe they are not that rare. Heck - here is a picture of four in the same place which was probably the largest gathering since April 1972. Seriously - this did not happen by dumb luck. I contacted every owner and four of us met in Nashville at the 40th. Can you tell whose car is whose? :rolleyes:

Mine was the only one with the original wheels and trim rings and hupcaps.

If I recall there was not ONE other sprint (coupe or fastback) at Nashville.
Well, 1970 Twister Special Mustangs - there were only 96 built... and California Specials, 4118... with 251 of them becoming High Country Specials.

1972 Sprints on the whole?

Overall, Ford made 9,383 Sprints between March and June of 1972, 3,086 of which were fastbacks, out of a total of 125,405 Mustangs manufactured in 1972. An additional 50 convertible Sprints were specially produced for the Washington, D.C., Cherry Blossom Festival parade and later sold through regional dealers.
http://www.hemmings.com/hcc/stories/2013/06/01/hmn_feature4.html

So, that's 50 Sprint 'Verts. Of course, I'm pretty sure there are better sources of information, but from what I can see by quoting a website I found, "only 50 'verts" seems pretty rare to me.

There's a Member of the Mustang Car Club of New England that has a Sprint FB, the car looks like it just rolled of the show room floor.

if anyone has a chance to get to any of the MCCNE shows you need to check out his car, he's at every show.

Every time I see Bob's car it makes me want a Sprint convertible even more!!
Very nice car Iyman! See if he'll join us?

Ray

Rex,

Do you know where that photo of the coupe, convertible, and fastback was taken? The area looks familiar to me for some reason. Were these Dick Smither's cars?
Yes those were Dick's cars back in the 80's. He died and they were sold off before I knew about it. I called his relatives to see if they could send me all his research he did on the convertible owners. That did not happen but Dick did send me a list of owners in 1985 which I still have and used to try to keep up with ownership changes over the last 30 years. I plead with people to send me pictures or to tell me when they sell their car but often I find out via other means. The production #'s are from Kevin Marti so anything else you read is bogus. 6,247 Mustang Sprints coupes, 3,086 sportroofs and 50 convertibles were produced for a total of 9,383.72busriders.JPG Enjoy the picture of some of the 1972 princesses. I've got a bunch of pics like this that I have not shared before.

Rex,

Yes those were Dick's cars back in the 80's. He died and they were sold off before I knew about it. I called his relatives to see if they could send me all his research he did on the convertible owners. That did not happen but Dick did send me a list of owners in 1985 which I still have and used to try to keep up with ownership changes over the last 30 years. I plead with people to send me pictures or to tell me when they sell their car but often I find out via other means. The production #'s are from Kevin Marti so anything else you read is bogus. 6,247 Mustang Sprints coupes, 3,086 sportroofs and 50 convertibles were produced for a total of 9,383. Enjoy the picture of some of the 1972 princesses. I've got a bunch of pics like this that I have not shared before.
Rex

Those dolls are grandmothers now!!!! :s lollerz

Wheels ...so your telling me all of them came with the center cap and rings like yours right? Well...maybe I'm not TOO hung up on original. I think the Magnums really make the car look good. So I'll have the cap,rings and wheels spare in case I ever sold as original.

Rex

Those dolls are grandmothers now!!!! :s lollerz

Wheels ...so your telling me all of them came with the center cap and rings like yours right? Well...maybe I'm not TOO hung up on original. I think the Magnums really make the car look good. So I'll have the cap,rings and wheels spare in case I ever sold as original.
Yes - all fifty were 100% identical off the assembly line.Ms.VT.JPGcbparade2010 002vt2.jpgnuggets 085.jpg

One of those gals is Shelly Moore Capito and one is Debbie Dingell. I have spoken to Ms. Vermont and Ms. Wisconsin. Half the fun of owning the car was seeing how many newspapers. magazines and websites I could get in, how many of the original princesses I could track down, and how many current princesses I could get to pose in the car in the annual parade. In my spare time I tried to keep the other owners in the loop and I wrote the book. I think I did a pretty job job even though the pay was terrible. :rolleyes:

I just bought a 72 vert parts car a couple weeks back. It had the dog dish hub caps and rings on it and they had the blue in the recess. I figured that someone had painted them that way. Did they only come on Sprints with blue stripe? I sent for a Marti on the car hate to crush it after I get the parts off. Will let the group decide if it goes to crusher or not.

David

Wheel.JPG

I just bought a 72 vert parts car a couple weeks back. It had the dog dish hub caps and rings on it and they had the blue in the recess. I figured that someone had painted them that way. Did they only come on Sprints with blue stripe? I sent for a Marti on the car hate to crush it after I get the parts off. Will let the group decide if it goes to crusher or not.

David
As far as I know only the sprints came with the blue stripe hupcaps.

Have you check the VIN against the sprint list?

David
As far as I know only the sprints came with the blue stripe hupcaps.

Have you check the VIN against the sprint list?
That's what I was wondering too. Since the 72 vert came with Sprint caps with the blue line, this car "could" be one of the missing 50.

David
Is the VIN between 2F03F184256-305? If so, you have a sprint convertible.

David
Is the VIN between 2F03F184256-305? If so, you have a sprint convertible.
man good thing for those serials...he would have NEVER figured that out.

Back