72 Sprint Coupe

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcdivad

Reaction score
Looking at buying a 72 Sprint coupe. Researched the VIN and found out this one shows it supposed to have
a blus vinyl top.
Your vehicle was equipped with the following features:
- Blue Vinyl Roof
- Sprint Decor Option A
- E70X14 Belted White Sidewall Tires
- Power Steering
- Power Front Disc Brakes
- Door Edge Guards
- Air Conditioner - SelectAire
- AM Radio
- Console
- Decor Group
- Color Keyed Racing Mirrors
- Tinted Glass
Looked all over the web and cannot find a Sprint with a vinyl top.
What gives?

I think it’s possible, the Sprint package was an appearance option, I assume it did not block all other options from being selected.

Go find this group on Facebook and ask there….146A8608-AD47-40D7-9C4B-B5417D5A691C.jpeg

If Marti says it's real, there's no other credible source to counter him.

What type of order? If it's retail, then it's a customer special order. I've never seen a Sprint with a vinyl top either, but I can't see any reason why Ford wouldn't allow it.

You could ask him to research how many Sprints were ordered with a vinyl top.

That's what gets me. The car doesn't have a vinyl top but the Marti Report says it has/had one.
Unless it was restored and left off. But if it did why not replace it.
If that was the case it would be a one of one. Right.......

Your vehicle was one of:
9,615 With this Paint Code
6,247 With these Paint/Trim Codes
21,461 With these Engine/Transmission Codes
1,379 Ordered from this DSO
5,512 With Sprint Decor Option A
For the 1972 Mustang 2-Door Hardtop

If Marti says it's real, there's no other credible source to counter him.

What type of order? If it's retail, then it's a customer special order. I've never seen a Sprint with a vinyl top either, but I can't see any reason why Ford wouldn't allow it.

You could ask him to research how many Sprints were ordered with a vinyl top.
Sorry, your first sentence is open to much interpretation regarding Marti’s supposed credibility with their reports. But, we won’t go there today, just my humble opinion based on my many dealings with various reports. I would put 100% more faith in the factory invoice over the Marti Report.

Looking at buying a 72 Sprint coupe. Researched the VIN and found out this one shows it supposed to have
a blus vinyl top.
- Blue Vinyl Roof
- Sprint Decor Option A
- Power Steering
- Door Edge Guards
- AM Radio
- Console
- Decor Group
- Tinted Glass
What gives?
Did you get your info from a “basic “ Marti report? The “Elite” Marti report should break down how many came with the vinyl top . Post a picture of this car, can’t say I have ever seen a Sprint with the vinyl top.

There is an alleged ‘72 sprint currently advertised for sale here in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, on Kijiji.ca as attached...(custom paint job ...asking cdn$15,000) (that’s roughly US $11.5k using ~1.30 exchange rate).

if it‘s a real sprint, it certainly does not currently have a vinyl roof.

(Not my car, nor do I have any relationship whatsoever to the seller.)
As always, do you due diligence
good luck in your search

Attachments

• 0216D3BC-541B-4E53-8EAE-6F9321A97CDE.png
    0216D3BC-541B-4E53-8EAE-6F9321A97CDE.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • C0D15797-8DDC-4D0E-AD98-BE40D7BCC6DD.png
    C0D15797-8DDC-4D0E-AD98-BE40D7BCC6DD.png
    677.9 KB · Views: 0
....By the way ------- Happy 50th Birthday this year to all you Sprint owners out there !!!!

Attachments

• 1972 Sprint in DC.JPG
    1972 Sprint in DC.JPG
    19.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 50th B-day.JPG
    50th B-day.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 0
Sorry, your first sentence is open to much interpretation regarding Marti’s supposed credibility with their reports. But, we won’t go there today, just my humble opinion based on my many dealings with various reports. I would put 100% more faith in the factory invoice over the Marti Report.

Ken, I'll agree with you regarding his report vs the factory invoice. My point is we as Ford people don't have an alternative source of original build information, he's got the monopoly on it.

That's what gets me. The car doesn't have a vinyl top but the Marti Report says it has/had one.
Unless it was restored and left off. But if it did why not replace it.
If that was the case it would be a one of one. Right.......

As far as determining if the top was deleted at one point, you could pull the roof rail trim and unhook the headliner. You would be able to see if there are signs of the fastener holes being filled it. Another spot would be looking up above the wheel houses into the sail panel/quarter panel area. Very few will take the time to dress the interior metal, so you may find signs of welding and filler work.

If the body buck tag is present, it'll also have a notation for the color of the vinyl top. It should say Blue on yours.

Some people just don't like vinyl tops.....

1658856261233.png

Last edited:
The Marti report is derived from the "Eminger" report, which is one of the copies of the actual invoice that was sent along with the car when delivered by the Motor Convoy carrier. It contained base/standard equipment and options, with retail and dealer costs. This document was how the dealer was invoiced and allowed them to add the vehicle into the dealer accounting system and inventory. If it wasn't on the invoice, I can assure you; that it didn't leave the assembly plant with it. Since that is an original Ford-produced document, I would put more faith in it than anything else offered by anyone. As nice as the Marti report is, it is not a Ford-generated document but is a compilation of what Marti's staff interprets as being on the vehicle. I have found a few mistakes in the optional equipment listing on some of my reports. I am not knocking the Marti reports, as I have a fortune invested in these reports on several of my past and present vehicles. These are reports that the GM and Mopar fans wished they had for their cars. They do an excellent job filling in the blanks but leave many items between the lines to sort out.

There was a go site for all things Sprint that appears to be no longer functioning. Daniel Russell ran the Sprint Registry and possessed some rare dealer literature that enabled him to answer any Sprint package/option questions you could throw at him. Although most of us have never seen a vinyl roof Sprint Mustang, it is feasible that it was an allowable option. As with the '71 Special Value Mustang (Spring Special), a customer should have been able to order any option as long as it did not cause a de-content or a conflict with the A or B Sprint package.

As Hemikiller posted, the buck tag would be another alternative to check for a vinyl top option. Since it would require the roof panel to be punched with the molding holes to avoid paint damage, this would have been during the "Buck" process. The color on the right side of the tag would let the body shop personnel know it was a vinyl top color. Most '72 models have tags on the left side of the radiator support behind the headlight assembly like the '73s. I have found some on the passenger side as on the '71s. Don't be surprised if you only find a screw and a piece of the tag. They are made of fragile, thin aluminum and are easily damaged.
If you are still unsure or want further verification, I suggest the Eminger report/Ford Invoice. As I previously mentioned, if it's not on the invoice, it did not leave the assembly plant with it! :)

Attachments

• buck tag-1.jpg
    buck tag-1.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 0
a blus vinyl top.
- Blue Vinyl Roof
- Sprint Decor Option A
- Power Steering
- Door Edge Guards
- AM Radio
- Console
- Decor Group
- Tinted Glass
What gives?
I have the 72 your describing. I'm in the process of doing a full restoration on it. I will most likely delete the vinyl top.

I have a picture but the top is already off. You can see where it was on but that's only one I can find

I'll get more pictures of the car off my computer.

Attachments

• 20170930_180828.jpg
    20170930_180828.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
I found a place where they have a photo of a 72 Sprint with a blue vinyl top. If you look at this link there is a box with some photos under the description of what a Mustang Sprint is. In that box with the photos, you scan scroll through the photos and you will find some of photos of a 72 Sprint Coupe with a blue vinyl top:
https://motorcitymusclecars.wordpress.com/2010/06/14/happy-flay-day-1972-mustang-sprint-edition/
I also found this link on the VMF forum of a member asking where he can get a blue vinyl top for his Sprint.
https://www.vintage-mustang.com/threads/72-vinyl-top-for-sprint-mustang.502203/
After looking at this and your Marti report, I would say that you could get a 72 Sprint with a blue vinyl top. Must have been an incredibly rare option as it seems that no one has seen one, but they are definitely out there.

Back