73 Mach 1 Pictures and questions

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

73Mach1Mustang

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1
Hello All,

I wanted to post some more pictures and get some advice on what I should be looking to do with a couple of projects I am thinking of doing.

First up is my steering wheel, unfortunately the wood on the wheel is broken in one place, the wood is warping. The wheel has to be replaced, but the Mastang cap is nice and I would like to keep it or at least replace it with something similiar. I think the steering wheel is a Grant, has any one dealt with them on ordering just a replacement wheel or does anyone have any other advice.

Second, I want to move the battery to the trunk and replace the battery. I am unsure of which battery box to use, but I want something that meets NHRA requirements. I hear alot of good things about Optima batteries, though I have always been a Die Hard guy. I think the current battery battery is undersized.

Third is my fuel filter, it is glass which scares me. It looks great, but I have heard stories of them breaking and the engine compartments going up in flames. I am thinking of changing it out to a an anodized billet fuel filter, I of course want to right size it. Any advice?

Well I am going to post some other pictures of the car in general. Again I appreciate your advice in regard to what I should be looking to do on the car.

Sincerely,

Dave

Steering wheel with cap off.JPG

Dashboard Gauges.JPG

Battery.JPG

Battery Ground.JPG

Drivers side 2.JPG

Drivers side interior door.JPG

Engine 2.JPG

Engine Drivers side.JPG

Engine pulleys 2.JPG

Engine Pulleys.JPG

Front.JPG

Glass fuel filter.JPG

Glove compartment.JPG

Interior.JPG

MSD Ignition-Coil Wires-Distributor- Valve covers.JPG

Passenger side 2.JPG

Passenger side interior.jpg

Passenger side rear lights.JPG

Passenger side rear window.JPG

Radiator.JPG

Rear seats 2.jpg

Rear Trunk open.JPG

Rear.JPG

Trunk 1.JPG

Trunk 2.JPG

Trunk 6.JPG

Trunk 7.JPG

Nice looking car! Is that Blue Glow?

I like the glass fuel filter but I also live dangerously. LOL

Why move the batt to the trunk? There isn't much benefit unless you're doing it for the cool factor. Optima batts are good.

It is a Grant wheel. Why not replace the whole thing with another wheel? They are fairly inexpensive. Stay with the wood or go with a different one. I recently bought a Grant 4 spoke with black grip that looks great in our cars.

Thanks Tommy,

I really like that fuel filter and the mount, definitely looks sharp. Any ideas on its performance? I have a 351 Cleveland with a Holley 680 Carb I definitely want a fuel filter which can keep up with demand. Also thanks for the compliment

Thanks,

Dave

Hey Don,

Thanks for the compliment, I think it is Medium Blue Argent.

Moving the Battery to the trunk partly for the cool factor and also because I have read that it improves the weight distribution of the vehicle and thus improves handling. Also I just found out the battery is not currently strapped in, and the battery needs to be replaced any way.

On the steering wheel, I am guessing I will buy a new one. I wish their was a Mustang one that was hardwood and had a thick poly-urethane coat. Could you take a picture of yours I would like to see what it looks like!

Thanks Again,

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice car man...I never been a fan of the battery in the trunk my self...But too each there own...I like to sometimes put things in my truck..lol.....Plus that is not something i would do unless it was pure race car only....if i have to worry about 50 extra pounds up front..Ill just stick a heavy spare in the back..hehe

Yes you will have to get rid of that glass fuel filter...they wont even let you on a drag strip with it on....They are illegal in any type of car racing.

And if your realy worried about weight up front...You should jerk out that AC condenser too..Looks like alot of the fins are pushed over anyways and blocking the air flow a bit

Nice car man...I never been a fan of the battery in the trunk my self...But too each there own...I like to sometimes put things in my truck..lol.....Plus that is not something i would do unless it was pure race car only....if i have to worry about 50 extra pounds up front..Ill just stick a heavy spare in the back..hehe

Yes you will have to get rid of that glass fuel filter...they wont even let you on a drag strip with it on....They are illegal in any type of car racing.

And if your realy worried about weight up front...You should jerk out that AC condenser too..Looks like alot of the fins are pushed over anyways and blocking the air flow a bit
Hello Hyena,

Thanks for the advice, I will probably be removing the AC Condensor next weekend. Since the AC is not working and with the change in freon, it only makes to pull it out and save the weight and better for cooling. Not so much looking to race the car, but want her to be ready to rock and roll if need be.

Thanks,

Dave

Hey Don,

Moving the Battery to the trunk partly for the cool factor and also because I have read that it improves the weight distribution of the vehicle and thus improves handling. Also I just found out the battery is not currently strapped in, and the battery needs to be replaced any way.

On the steering wheel, I am guessing I will buy a new one. I wish their was a Mustang one that was hardwood and had a thick poly-urethane coat. Could you take a picture of yours I would like to see what it looks like!

Thanks Again,

Dave
I don't have a pic of it in the car...interior is all out at the moment. Here is a link to it at Grant.

http://www.grantproducts.com/products/view/15/

I did not know that about the glass filters. I have one on my car so I guess I will swap it out.

Nice looking Mach 1 you got there.
Ya...Me either...I use to think it was cool and waaaay better than the plastic white ones you cant see the gas flowing threw...Till i started going to the drag races alot...And seen all the rules and found out they would'nt even let my car on the strip with it on...lol....It kinda makes sence thou....It gets hot and cold and vibrating around down there....if it does break...It will be a instant firey nightmare...I recommend anyone who has one..Please remove it...For the sake of your car and your safety.

Hello Hyena,

Thanks for the advice, I will probably be removing the AC Condensor next weekend. Since the AC is not working and with the change in freon, it only makes to pull it out and save the weight and better for cooling. Not so much looking to race the car, but want her to be ready to rock and roll if need be.

Thanks,

Dave
Ya..Mine the same way..I got no pump..So no need for the condensor right now...Untill it becomes super valuable with it...Im not going to bother..lol...but i would defenatly keep it for later on...Just in case you wanna turn it all original again.

Don,

Thanks for posting the link to your wheel. I think I am going to go with a custom Mustang wheel. Yours looks more driveable though.

Totalled,

Thanks for the advice, the Die Hard platinum batteries look pretty bad a$$ from what I saw on the Die Hard website. There is a videos up their where a guy shoots the battery and then starts his truck with it. I have heard good things about Optima batteries as well, though I am probably leaning toward the Die Hard.

Hyena,

Truthfully, I am surprised glass fuel filters are even legal.

Sincerely,

Dave

I found another battery related  post on another forum. The guy worked for Johnson Controls, on of the US automotive battery manufacturers. I found his insight very useful.

I think I am giving up on the Walmart batteries and going with Sear Die-Hard; probably Platinum series. 

Here's the cut/paste:

I worked for Johnson in the 80's... True, they are one of the 3 big battery makers. However, they manufacture batteries to different specs for certain high volume buyers, like Sears/WalMart/etc.

That being said, I always use Die Hard. Sears is easy if you have to return/exchange for any reason.

I would recommend a few things:

1- Get the largest capacity battery that can fit in your vehicle. This is meaasured by 3 factors: CCA, reserve capacity, and discharge rating. Many companies do not provide discharge rating. The bigger numbers are better.

2- Maintenance Free batteries are usually a little bit more expensive, but worth the cost. Unless you overcharge them, they never need water added which is one of the biggest reason batteries fail. (Even if you add water later, damage has already been done to a battery that has had plates exposed.

3- If you make a lot of short trips, or the car sits for days at a time without being started, I suggest looking at the added cost to go to an AGM battery (DieHard Platinum, I think). These do not have liquid electrolyte... the have an electrolyte embedded into a fiberglass matting. They lose about 1-2% charge per MONTH compared to regular batteries which lose 1-3% per DAY. When a battery falls below 80% charge, it starts to lose lifespan. These batteries are also much better at handling vibration and have a lifespan of 8-10 years if treated properly!

4- If you run your battery low often (ie: listen to cd's at a campsite, use an inverter from your car, etc.) look into the AGM Marine battery (Sears PM-1 or PM-2 I think). Same as the AGM auto battery, but with thicker plates so it can handle being run down then recharged with limited effect. Note that the warranty is lower on these batteries, but that is because they think you will be using it for a trolling motor... it is a slightly better constructed battery than the auto version (I think the die-hard marine batteries are made by exide, not Johnson).

If anyone thinks this is worthy of a new thread - fell free to copy the stuff and post away. I kinda feel like this was too much (detailed) battery info for this one... thx

Ray

Love Blue Glow 73 my Uncle had one when I wsa a kid and now Dad has one.

Thanks Tommy,

I really like that fuel filter and the mount, definitely looks sharp. Any ideas on its performance? I have a 351 Cleveland with a Holley 680 Carb I definitely want a fuel filter which can keep up with demand. Also thanks for the compliment

Thanks,

Dave

Hey Don,

Thanks Again,

Dave
If you buy a new one, just polyurathane yourself. I did a coat a day for thirty days (24hr dry time) and was glad I did. I got the idea when I built my pool table and that was what it took to get the rail diamonds covered.

Back