73 Mach1 Back Again With Pics/Questions

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the Edelbrock intake behind the carb does it say Performer 2V or 4V? See pic below. You will see the 4. on the top corners of the heads. Their should be a 4. or 2.,if not they could be 400 heads.
So when looking closely we noticed it said "Performer 351 2v" on the intake and it's made by edelbrock. My Dad when looking down the carb said it has 4 holes, but now he's doubting what it is because the intake says 351 2v on it. The carb does have the number "8822" and is by edelbrock as well.

I also added some new pictures of the interior.

Last edited by a moderator:
On the Edelbrock intake behind the carb does it say Performer 2V or 4V? See pic below. You will see the 4. on the top corners of the heads. Their should be a 4. or 2.,if not they could be 400 heads.
So when looking closely we noticed it said "Performer 351 2v" on the intake and it's made by edelbrock. My Dad when looking down the carb said it has 4 holes, but now he's doubting what it is because the intake says 351 2v on it. The carb does have the number "8822" and is by edelbrock as well.

Well its cause it has 2v style heads...2V Mostly has to do with the heads....a 4 barrel manifold from a 4v wont work right on 2v heads..Cause of the extra big intakes on 4v heads.....Which some buy a aftermarket 2v 4 barrel manifold "some one did on this case" ..very understadable too be confused when it comes to 2v and 4v when it comes to ford...lol

2V's come with two barrel manifolds original for 2 barrel carbs....But you can get a 4 barrel manifold for a 2v motor from edelbrock or some other aftermarket manifold maker...Cause the 4v manifold will not mate up right.

Well its cause it has 2v style heads...2V Mostly has to do with the heads....a 4 barrel manifold from a 4v wont work right on 2v heads..Cause of the extra big intakes on 4v heads.....Which some buy a aftermarket 2v 4 barrel manifold "some one did on this case" ..very understadable too be confused when it comes to 2v and 4v when it comes to ford...lol
EDIT: Ok I told this to my Dad and he knew what your talking about. So is the intake the orig from 73?? My Dad figured it wasn't because it was made by Edelbrock? Yet it says 351 2v so I figured it had to be orig lol

So, I'm super lost not haha! So, it's a 2v 4 barrel intake? But with a 4v carb?!? I have no idea what this car even has on it currently now lol! But I will tell my Dad this post and hopefully he'll know!
No..its not the original...Ford made all the originals...But it is a good replacement for a 2v stock manifold.

So, I'm super lost not haha! So, it's a 2v 4 barrel intake? But with a 4v carb?!? I have no idea what this car even has on it currently now lol! But I will tell my Dad this post and hopefully he'll know!
No..its not the original...Ford made all the originals...But it is a good replacement for a 2v stock manifold.
Ah ok, thank you thank you!

My Dad called Edelbrock to get the info on what's currently on the mach 1. The gentleman he spoke with said it's: Edelbrock 3181 1405, 600CMF manual choke. They said the 2v said smaller port heads on the intake, and that a 4 barrel manifold fits a 2 barrel head. This went over mine as well as my Dads head, because it's a 4v carb on a 2v intake? So can someone please explain in laments terms what this all exactly means? The gentleman said that this set up also works for a stoke motor. So, were there other motor components that had to be modified to allow this arrangement to work properly?

EDIT: So in dumb'd down terms, what's currently on the mach 1 is basically a 4 and a 2 but we either need to make it a 2/2 or 4/4? If were correct. haha

It sounds like your car was originally came with a 2 barrel carb and at some point it was upgraded with an aftermarket ( edelbrock ) intake and carb. I personally wouldn't go back to the 2 barrel carb. You could always paint the intake ford blue and put a stock air cleaner on it if your going for a original look. If you plan on running dual exhaust I would defiantly keep the 4 barrel carb.

Mike.

The edelbrock performer 2v intake is designed to convert the 351c 2v to a 4 barrel carb. Its a great up grade to the 351c 2v. Basically someone removed the stock 2 barrel manifold and carb. Then replaced it with the edelbrock 4 barrel intake and carb.

Mike.

It sounds like your car was originally came with a 2 barrel carb and at some point it was upgraded with an aftermarket ( edelbrock ) intake and carb. I personally wouldn't go back to the 2 barrel carb. You could always paint the intake ford blue and put a stock air cleaner on it if your going for a original look. If you plan on running dual exhaust I would defiantly keep the 4 barrel carb.

Mike.

The edelbrock performer 2v intake is designed to convert the 351c 2v to a 4 barrel carb. Its a great up grade to the 351c 2v. Basically someone removed the stock 2 barrel manifold and carb. Then replaced it with the edelbrock 4 barrel intake and carb.

Mike.
Is there anything that would need to be changed or reinforced if it's a 4v intake and 4v carb sense it came as a 2v set up?

Is there anything that would need to be changed or reinforced if it's a 4v intake and 4v carb sense it came as a 2v set up?
If it says edelbrock 351 2v on the manifold...Its made for your car..And will be fine...Thats a good upgrade for a 2v motor..No not sure who built this motor or what was put into it? I would pull some spark plugs and see how it was runing..Rich or lean...And go from there..Does it start up and run at all?..Just from looking at your picture..It all looks about what i woud do too a stock 2v motor if i wanted a little more go..All pretty much basic good upgrades....Shouldnt have to do anything.."thats as long as its not blown up..locked up...or has low compression from bad cam...piston rings...or whatever.

If it says edelbrock 351 2v on the manifold...Its made for your car..And will be fine...Thats a good upgrade for a 2v motor..No not sure who built this motor or what was put into it? I would pull some spark plugs and see how it was runing..Rich or lean...And go from there..Does it start up and run at all?..Just from looking at your picture..It all looks about what i woud do too a stock 2v motor if i wanted a little more go..All pretty much basic good upgrades....Shouldnt have to do anything.."thats as long as its not blown up..locked up...or has low compression from bad cam...piston rings...or whatever.
We did have it running and drove it home. I know that the trans leaks which we needs to get fix, other than that the engine runs good just needs some seals and hoses replaced here and there. The only thing that we were just thinking about it a while ago the carb back fired and lit on fire lol, so we thought maybe that's because of the set up? Because we don't understand how the 4 barrel carb can work on a 2v intake? It seems that it would be to much air going in? However, if it's all compatible and works well, would adding the ram air be too much for it?

Well I think they're propably a tad dumb! :p
The only dumb question is the one you don't ask and make a mistake as a result!

Nice project!
Jeff, should I forward you some of Mark's questions :p :p :p

Just kidding

Don

Well I think they're propably a tad dumb! :p
The only dumb question is the one you don't ask and make a mistake as a result!

Nice project!
Jeff, should I forward you some of Mark's questions :p :p :p

Just kidding

Don
I resemble that remark! :mad:

We did have it running and drove it home. I know that the trans leaks which we needs to get fix, other than that the engine runs good just needs some seals and hoses replaced here and there. The only thing that we were just thinking about it a while ago the carb back fired and lit on fire lol, so we thought maybe that's because of the set up? Because we don't understand how the 4 barrel carb can work on a 2v intake? It seems that it would be to much air going in? However, if it's all compatible and works well, would adding the ram air be too much for it?
If it ran fine - I would leave it as it is.

As others said that is a nice upgrade

Ram air will go right on it, no problems and it will not ruin anything

Don

If it ran fine - I would leave it as it is.

As others said that is a nice upgrade

Ram air will go right on it, no problems and it will not ruin anything

Don
Ok, I know it wasn't in perfect running condition of course, however, it ran pretty good for the amount of time it was sitting. We thought that because the carb back fired so bad and lit of fire that the carb and intake weren't compatible. And sounds good with the ram air!

Ok maybe this will help. Ford maid a few different 351C. I wont get into all of them now. Let me explain the 2 basic ones. Ford maid 351c 4v and 351c 2v. The 351c 4v came with a 4 barrel carb and the heads are exclusive to this engine. The 351c 4v heads have huge intake and exhaust ports. They also have large intake and exhaust valves.To identify these heads there is a 4.in the top corners. The 351c 2v came with a 2 barrel carb and smaller valves intake and exhaust ports. So to add a 4 barrel carb to a 351c 2v you can't put the intake from the 351c 4v to the 351c 2v heads. The intake ports wont match up. So the edelbrock performer 2v is a 4 barrel manifold for the small 351c 2v heads.
Mike

Edelbrock also maid a performer 4v manifold for the 4v heads.

Ok maybe this will help. Ford maid a few different 351C. I wont get into all of them now. Let me explain the 2 basic ones. Ford maid 351c 4v and 351c 2v. The 351c 4v came with a 4 barrel carb and the heads are exclusive to this engine. The 351c 4v heads have huge intake and exhaust ports. They also have large intake and exhaust valves.To identify these heads there is a 4.in the top corners. The 351c 2v came with a 2 barrel carb and smaller valves intake and exhaust ports. So to add a 4 barrel carb to a 351c 2v you can't put the intake from the 351c 4v to the 351c 2v heads. The intake ports wont match up. So the edelbrock performer 2v is a 4 barrel manifold for the small 351c 2v heads.
Mike

Edelbrock also maid a performer 4v manifold for the 4v heads.
Ah! Ok, I had to read this about 7 times but I think we got it now!! Thank you very much for posting! My Dad I think is wanting to do a 4/4 which is the cobra or quadra jet, but is waiting to see the Marti report because if it's rare, which I'm not sure it is, but he'd keep it all super original. Two last questions hopefully about the carb and intake. With the way the engine is now, does it need a different exhaust manifold? And that kind of goes together which my next questions is, say this isn't a rare mach 1, and we changed it to an original 73 cobra 4/4, would that need a different exhaust manifold, and or anything different parts to make it work the best?

The exhaust manifold gets matched to the heads, not the intake manifold. Also, Cobra Jet basically refers to the block - the 351C 4V was a Cobra Jet (Q or M code I think), while the 351C 2V was not. You can't really turn the engine into a Cobra Jet, but you could replace the intake manifold, heads, and exhaust, and cam shaft, and make a faux 351 CJ.

Edit to add: there is nothing wrong with the 351C 2V engine, a lot of people think it's a better street engine because of low/mid-range torque. From what I understand, the 351C 4V Cobra Jet runs best at high RPM; i.e., at the track.

The exhaust manifold gets matched to the heads, not the intake manifold. Also, Cobra Jet basically refers to the block - the 351C 4V was a Cobra Jet (Q or M code I think), while the 351C 2V was not. You can't really turn the engine into a Cobra Jet, but you could replace the intake manifold, heads, and exhaust, and cam shaft, and make a faux 351 CJ.

Edit to add: there is nothing wrong with the 351C 2V engine, a lot of people think it's a better street engine because of low/mid-range torque. From what I understand, the 351C 4V Cobra Jet runs best at high RPM; i.e., at the track.
Oh ok thank you! Got some miss information there! Lol but sounds like 2v then! And ya ours is an H ans cobra is Q.

Also sense we would be doing the 2v sense the cobra is complete different then what we thought, in a as close to original restoration as possible, would an original 73 2/2 intake and carb be worth more to the cars overall vaule, or would there not be much difference between that and what is currently on it?

With the large exhaust ports of the 351c 4v heads you have to use the 4v exhaust manifolds.

If the car is a H code mach 1 going back to the 2 barrel intake and carb is not necessarily going to help it's value. If you restore the car to a nice driver status, the edelbrock intake 4 barrel carb and a nice duel exhaust could help it's value. If your not going to restore every nut and bolt clip screw to as new or better I would say your wasting your time going back to the 2 barrel in my opinion. As posted earlier the edelbrock intake and 4 barrel carb is a great upgrade for 351c 2v engine.

Oh ok thank you! Got some miss information there! Lol but sounds like 2v then! And ya ours is an H ans cobra is Q.

Also sense we would be doing the 2v sense the cobra is complete different then what we thought, in a as close to original restoration as possible, would an original 73 2/2 intake and carb be worth more to the cars overall vaule, or would there not be much difference between that and what is currently on it?
Those are pretty much bolt-on upgrades so I don't think it would affect the value much if at all. Really, you have to ask yourself why you're doing this...if it's as an investment, I'd bet you'll end up spending far more than its market value says it's worth. Do what you want and enjoy it for what it is...not for how much money it may or may not be worth.

Edited to remove my bad info. I was confusing details between the 351 and the 429 family.

Those are pretty much bolt-on upgrades so I don't think it would affect the value much if at all. Really, you have to ask yourself why you're doing this...if it's as an investment, I'd bet you'll end up spending far more than its market value says it's worth. Do what you want and enjoy it for what it is...not for how much money it may or may not be worth.

Another edit: I believe that 4V and 2V refer to main caps. You'll hear them referred to as "4 bolt mains" and "2 bolt mains". The 4 bolt main caps were stronger, allowing for higher duration RPM use (racing). PLEASE if I'm wrong someone correct me. 4V and 2V do NOT refer to the number of barrels in the intake and carb NOR do they refer to the number of valves in the heads. Again, someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

There are many people on here that are more knowledgeable, I'm just relaying things that I've picked up on this forum. I have a 429, not a 351. Now that I think about it, maybe the main cap thing applies to the 429 family (TJ vs CJ/SCJ). LOL sorry if I've confused things.
Lol no problem, there's a lot to know. Me personally I want to just get it running and be able to drive it, but were not planning on selling but I think he just doesn't want to invest money in parts to get it running properly or in things that may hurt the vaule and then have to get something instead. We have a lot of local car shows and I'd love to take it to some when its finished, and to me every single bolt doesn't have to be from a 73 but I don't personally want like a restomod. Thanks for your information! :)

Back