Any FE Experts on here?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Grande 351C 2v
Looking for anyone familiar with the FE engines. Got an opportunity to pick up what I am being told is a 390 originally out of a 67 passenger car (it was recently pulled from a truck and has an RV cam in it) engines runs with some slight valve train noise. Block casting is C6ME-A, has 352 cast in the front, a date code of 7B18. It is complete from top to bottom including factory 4 bbl intake.

Next question is has anyone tried to put one of these in a 73? I am going to start work on my vert soon and do not currently have a plan in place for the drivetrain.

Thanks in advance. I am not very familiar with the FE engines.

Not a whiz on them but have a couple.

I would not go that route not something you can just go find motor mounts that fit, fans, radiator and all the things involved with a switch. Part are expensive. Those are good engines but a good cleveland will be much easier to put in and get the parts for.

I agree on the Cleveland but have been looking for the last 10 months or so locally and nothing has come up. I have ads out and this guy responded to my ad saying he had this 390 and is dirt cheap. My concern is exactly as you stated above though.

That block casting number was used on everything from 352s to 428s. If the engine ID tag is not on the engine the only way you can tell for sure what it is will be to pull a head and measure the bore and stroke.

I agree with David, there will be a lot of changes and engineering required for the swap.

And, you are right, Clevelands are not easy to find. I had to drive 5 hours to get one, at least it's a 4-bolt. Here's a source that will ship a good block to you.

https://barnetthighperformance.com/351c-complete-engines/

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want another option, look for a 460. They had them in trucks, Lincolns, etc. Same series as a 429 that came in our cars, so mounts, etc won't be a problem and if you get a later one, you can have electronic ignition and fuel injection. They're a lot heavier than a Cleveland though, so you'll need different front springs, same as if you went with the 390.

Steve

How many 351C do you want ?

I have a couple also a source in waterloo.
Just looking for 1 good 351c block. Would prefer one that has not been bored. 4 bolt main a plus but not necessary. I'm an hour from you. Let me know. You can PM too.

Back