Aussie cars what we Aussies don't see in the styling

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Size wise the GTS was the equivalent to the 4DR GT ford however they where not direct performance rivals that slot was filled by the torana notice how some of the GTS have snowflake wheels

HZ GTS

r7q3d2.jpg

29wmo8m.jpg

Torana was GMs battlewagon of the day taking it to the GT Falcons while giving away almost a litre of engine displacement

1zaj36.jpg
[/img]

30ndicg.jpg
[/img]

Hey - I meant no disrespect when I made the Maverick/Celica comment. :D

But here's what I'm talking about - The XA GT you mentioned:

$_20.JPG

And here's what it reminded me of:

Maverick 4-door:

5968a53d5f5932471dd8a56ddfba009c.jpg

Early '70s Toyota Celica:

IMG_3020.jpg

Granted, the late '60s Torino nose might've been more inspiration to the designers than a Celica, but I'm not as familiar with Torinos:

1970_ford_torino_cobra_sportsroof_chiolero.jpg

Am I that far off?

Eric no offence taken,I found your comment interesting because I see it now you have pointed it out just like other members have said they see jag benz and Lincoln in my own Kingswood. Some times it takes fresh eyes to see things for what they are.

Best memories I have of childhood in the mid 70's were all the holidays I went on with my family.

And Dad's old (or new then) XA Falcon sedan was the vehicle that facilitated those holidays. Good times thanks to Ford Falcon 500!

K0DgjoN.jpg

7YbIBJK.jpg

BPC3pnq.jpg

Trivia: this is the dish that received the first images of the first moon walk.

skyuDdc.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Guilty as charged! I was thinking the exact same thing, Greg. rofl

Neat pics, though! ::thumb::

Please Sir, can i have some more?

K0DgjoN.jpg

Sorry Brett, but i couldn't resist.:D

That is a great shot of you from yesterday.

Greg.:)

Yeah, the picture made me laugh too! I remember buying that cap from the local Aussie Disposals shop way back then, pretty sure it was an ex-Chinese People Liberation Army cap....

20150201224944-olx563ee23440e7b1039ea443b3b6518fe69d926fd2.JPG

Hey Brett,

Sounds like we have run down a parallel path. My parents drove us all over the place in an xa 302 Fairmont wagon, it was just over 300,000kms when he sold it, still all original and it never let us down, not even once, unbelievable car. That was the start of my love of the x series ford and over the years have owned many. Now I own a 71 Fastback.

Chrysler Australia took a different tack on the Aus muscle car stage by going with a triple webbered straight 6. Chargers where the top dog but there was a 4dr option in the pacer. These 6cyl cars where actually quicker over the 1/4 than the GTHOs. GTHO think 4dr Boss same spec engine in a falcon that slightly lighter than a Boss 351 Mustang

265 Hemi 6

riz1ue.jpg
[/img]

charger

4k77ee.jpg
[/img]

pacer

124veh5.jpg
[/img]

wmkvnq.jpg
[/img]

2qvtu2c.jpg
[/img]

GTHO

2i0y83s.jpg
[/img]

Hey Brett,

Sounds like we have run down a parallel path. My parents drove us all over the place in an xa 302 Fairmont wagon, it was just over 300,000kms when he sold it, still all original and it never let us down, not even once, unbelievable car. That was the start of my love of the x series ford and over the years have owned many. Now I own a 71 Fastback.
A 302 ?? Sheer luxury!

My Dad bought the XA to tow our caravan, but for some reason he must not have entertained a V8. I do remember him buying the car in about 1974 (which we considered to be close enough to a new car at the time), and Dad thought he was buying a car with a 250ci motor. I still recall his disappointment in the hours after he got it home when my older brother looked under the bonnet and said "that's a 200 motor Dad, not a 250..."

Anyways, it still did the job admirably, though sluggishly, and took us multiple times from home in Vic to northern NSW and everywhere in between. I do remember something going wrong with the column shift in the middle of nowhere in South Australia, but Dad armed with a pair of wire cutters helped himself to a section of wire from a farmers star-picket fence, tied the dodgy linkages up somehow and we were on our way again.

The car is long gone, my Dad has since passed, but Mum still has the old caravan stored away in her carport which helps to keep the memories alive!

iB0FlwK.jpg

Here are a few of our luxo barges

Fairlane

24g7xuc.jpg
[/img]

zixf7d.jpg
[/img]

Statesman can see some Caddy in these

5yas5k.jpg
[/img]

m7yiv4.jpg
[/img]

Chrysler by Chrysler the best factory burnout car produced in Aus ever

34hba02.jpg
[/img]

ekqmpj.jpg
[/img]

Chrysler hardtop

2wnb5o1.jpg
[/img]

...and lets not forget the Ford ZH LTD. In my younger days there was a light metal flake blue XB Falcon coupe getting around town with one of these LTD fronts on it (apparently the fronts just bolted straight on, no metalwork required). I remember thinking it was just about the bizarrest coolest thing I'd ever seen.

Ford_LTD_(P6).jpg

Those are all great looking luxo-barges. I'd buy one in a heartbeat!

Some pics of the 72-76 Mecury Montegos.

They came in 2 door/4 door and GT body styles. About as close in looks as you could get here for MFP cars. They were bigger, especially in the front, but they had similar styling from the windshield back. An oddity at the time, they (and the Torinos) were full chassis cars, not unibody and had coil springs in the rear instead of leafs.

The 74 and later cars had the taillights above the bumper and they were three section, so they looked kind of like the Falcons in a three quarter rear view...except for the park bench bumper. The GT looked better in my opinion than the 72-73 Torino fastback and could have made a passable Interceptor (size and frontend styling aside).

The 71-73 Cougar was a spiritual brother to the Landau, but was built on the 71-73 Mustang chassis.

004.jpg

6767788581_b3c3922737.jpg

66222-900-0.jpg

1971_Mercury_Cougar.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
...and lets not forget the Ford ZH LTD. In my younger days there was a light metal flake blue XB Falcon coupe getting around town with one of these LTD fronts on it (apparently the fronts just bolted straight on, no metalwork required). I remember thinking it was just about the bizarrest coolest thing I'd ever seen.

Ford_LTD_(P6).jpg
Those P6 (and P5) LTD's are fantastic cars. Big, roomy and oh so comfortable, just like driving a lounge chair and once they get moving, are a great cruiser on the highway with plenty of stick in them. I actually sold my P6 Silver Monarch LTD last year (along with my XC GXL) as I had too many cars and needed to thin the heard a bit. In a way I wished I had of kept it, but if I had maybe I wouldn't have purchased the XA GS, which is a car I've been wanting for long time.

The 2 door reminds me of the Mercury Montego GT from 72-73. There is a lot of similarity to it in my eyes. And the Montego of course reminds us all of the Torino which came from the Fairlane. So they look like they came from the same family tree and just were a different branch, but are obviously siblings. :)

Funny, I posted after looking at only the first page. I didn't realize that somebody had posted pics of the Montego on this same page. Ooops. The bottom one in red was the exact car I was thinking of. :)

Funny, I posted after looking at only the first page. I didn't realize that somebody had posted pics of the Montego on this same page. Ooops. The bottom one in red was the exact car I was thinking of. :)
Yeh there is a lot of similar styling there.

Back