Axle is frozen...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1. Originally 2V but going 4V soon!
Frozen as in 38 degrees F. Going to hit the bearing retaining ring with a torch and see if it will back off with a few hits of the hammer. After the shop took a week and a half to do the drivers side thought I would try myself on the passenger side. Any hints or tips on this procedure?

Just heat it cherry red and hit it with a good chisel! To install the new retainer just set your oven @ 350 degrees and cook it for a while and it should slide right on!!! Done this several times!!!

Ring popped right off. Didn't even need to get cherry red. The chisle between the bearing and retaining ring was the trick. The bearing appears to be another story. Going to PB blaster it a few times and find a better way to strike it.

That's been about the luck I've had every time with them. A couple of chisels and they pop right off. The bearing I'm batting about 500... Sometimes they pop off. Sometimes I can't move them till I mess them up

The bearings press on and off. I've found it best to find a press to do the job. Also, better not to wait until they look like this :)

21bqe5g.jpg

2hmfp75.jpg

Back