Bad fuel tank sending unit.....AGAIN!!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tkelley72

Reaction score
My Car
72 mustang convertible
In need of some expert input on this please. Once again I have a sending unit issue. I had the OEM unit replaced back in Sept. with a Doorman unit. It worked fine until the last week or so. I suspect that its the damn float again. I first suspected an issue a couple of weeks ago. I knew I had approx. a full tank, but when I took the car out it showed about 3/4 full. I dismissed it and assumed it was just an inaccuracy issue with the sender. I only drove it a bout 10 miles and put it away. The next weekend I got in for a short drive and noticed the gage showed a little over a half. Suspicions began to rise. This weekend I started it up and it showed to be about 1/4 tank. I let the car warm up about 5 minutes, got in for a drive and the tank was/is on empty!
I have done all the suggested tests. I have pulsating voltage at the sender. Gage goes to full when grounded out. The gage needle will move off of past empty about the width of the gage hash mark when I turn the key to the on position. All indications are to me that the float has a leak but wanted to get some opinions in case there is something I am not thinking of. I did see a new float product on line but from what I am told by the parts guy its basically a common float that has been dipped into a foam material. The attachment area is still exposed brass. May be less likely to sink but who knows. I attached a copy of it.
Would appreciate any input you guys could provide. Additionally, I still have the OEM sender (minus the rotted out float) that I could put back in if the Doorman sender could be suspect. Should I go back to that one just in case once I get a new float to eliminate the possibility of a defective sending unit. I checked it out with an OHM meter and it looks to read consistent throughout the range from 8 OHMs-78 OHMs.

Thanks guys

Attachments

• float.pdf
    729.5 KB
That's curious you had a problem with the Dorman unit. I assume it was the 692232. I have had that one in my car since 2017 and no issues so far. The only thing I see is when full, the needle fluctuates slightly, sometime more than full, other time just below. However, I typically refill when it hits 3/4 because I know it should take 19 litres (5 US gallons) and not break the bank.
Floats are definitely the weak point on these. Nothing is made like it used to be.

Back