Best looking grill for my Mustang

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've always though an early Camaro style grille would look nice in our cars..

92ytF.jpg
I think this looks really sick actually. Even if it were just a black transparent diffusor panel with trim around it so it wouldnt even have to open, hid lights could just shine right through it. I like it!

Sorry to all the 71 owners but the change to vertical lights completely changed the look of the Mach I and really looks bad IMO. The amber lights on a red sportsroof (diamonds are forever) stands as the classic look for me. Though it was a 429 and not a Mach I. That being said i have a 72 plain hood/plain grill that seems appropriate for a white vert with med blue interior and a blue Haartz cloth top. So as much as i like the amber lights i cant see changing the car that i own.

Luxstang the blacked out standard is awesome, I wonder if the scooped hood and bumper guards will work. But I will have to get another grill as mine was the last NOS 1 from Ford of Canada, (I knew the local parts guy ) when I bought it. I kick myself for not keeping the box.

luxstang.jpg

, I wonder if the scooped hood and bumper guards will work.
I don't see why it shouldn't.

I removed my bumper guards immediately after I got the car because I don't like the look of them at all. I prefer the clean lines of a simple bumper.

In fact I removed the whole appearance protection group because I hated it. :)

The grill and the tail lights are the two areas Ford styling, should have done much differently.

I don't find the grill pleasing at all. And will bet it's a contributing cause of the 71-73

Stangs being less popular.

Cudos to those experimenting with looks other than stock.

I think we've got the boring taillight problem pretty well solved ;) I've been torn on what to do about my grille as well??? Probably gonna do some sort of one-off fiberglass one for my car when I actually get that far in the project :p

Tubo, you think the 65-70 grills were better? imo the 71 mach I grill with the black honeycomb and amber grill lights is the best they ever came up with! At least it was different. Any other car out there look similiar? Even wihout the nasa hood it looks unique and good. Add the nasa hood and its awsome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tubo, you think the 65-70 grills were better? imo the 71 mach I grill with the black honeycomb and amber grill lights is the best they ever came up with! At least it was different. Any other car out there look similiar? Even wihout the nasa hood it looks unique and good. Add the nasa hood and its awsome.
I like the Honeycomb mesh, amber lights in the grill. However I do like the 65-70 grills better. Why?? As close as I can figure it's because the grill itself is inset on the earlier cars, along with raked headlight buckets. Which gives the impression of depth in the grill, that the 71-73's don't share. Maybe I'll actually build a grill idea I have for Robert's Vert(now my 73) It's tough to TRY a $1150 experiment. Hehheh, fer that money I could grow to like what's there.

Tubo

Food for thought: for years I wanted to try and use a 1970 Shelby grille on mine.

Only I did not wanna risk the shipping and import taxes on a part that maybe would not fit eventually.

Anybody ever seen that conversion?

I tried the Shelby grille look. I even went as far as building the brackets, moving the headlights back, and sectioning the bumper. It just did not look right. Then again, I don't like the 69-70 Shelby grille anyway. It has that "we ran out of ideas" look. In the end, I used a 71 Mach grille, cut out the center, and installed a 65 grille. It turned out so well, I am building a matching grille to go under the bumper between the park lights.

Tubo, i noticed the 73's seem to have a more forward grill compared to my 72. With my chrome bumpers and plain hood with the corral grill it looks a LOT different than the position of the 73's

Back