Bojo's 73 Project

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eddyw, here's the pics I said I would post.

8/11/13

Got to work on the car again today, finding time sometimes is difficult to do. Today the engine came off the stand and the transmission was mated to the engine. I did make a bracket to keep the motor from rolling when the tension was removed from the hoist. Due to disorganization it took me time to locate everything but I finally did. I am going to install this probably next weekend and after it's in the car I'll remove the tailshaft and start the Gear Vendor mods.

-jbojo

IMG_2281.JPG

IMG_2282.JPG

IMG_2283.JPG

IMG_2284.JPG

IMG_2285.JPG

IMG_2287.JPG

Oh Man! That thing is really gonna scoot! Don't forget to make a video when you first start it up!

8/17/13

The Engine and tranny are in :) Total time was about an hour and a half to get it in and sitting on the mounts. Getting the drivers side header in was a different story. Wound up having to remove the steering box and linkage to slide the header in and then reinstall the steering box. Had help with the motor however I had to do the header by myself and did not realize how heavy the steering box was but I finally managed to get it back in. Plenty of clearance around the steering box so no mods needed. Tomorrow I am going to start the gear vendor install so that I can measure the drive shaft length and get that on order.

-jbojo

IMG_2290.JPG

IMG_2291.JPG

IMG_2292.JPG

IMG_2294.JPG

IMG_2296.JPG

IMG_2297.JPG

That engine looks very wicked! Looking good! Did you get your brake valve yet?

That engine looks very wicked! Looking good! Did you get your brake valve yet?
Doug the Dog.

Not Yet, decided not to wait for it. I should be able to install it when it comes in. I also ordered a tach (Won't need the MSD adaptor) and voltmeter from RCCI so that I can get rid of the voltage regulator. My 1 wire alternator will be putting out 140 amps so I'll be able to power all the goodies when they are connected up.

BTW did you get your valve yet?

Thx Steven, How's the heat down south there? Should be about the monsoon season right about now, right?

Thx

-jbojo

8/18/13

Gear Vendor Install

Today I got a late start but managed to get the mechanical portion done. It is really a well engineered product and I did not have any clearance problems so far. I was looking to see where the lowest point of the car will be and it turns up to be the transmission pan. Right now its on jack stands so when I get it on the ground I will measure the final ground clearance.

The install went like this:

• Remove the stock tranny tail housing
  • Install the new aluminum tail housing, I had some help here.
  • There is a coupler that you must use that connects the output shaft of the tranny to the GV unit. Clearance for the coupler is between .005 and .035, I set it to .015.
  • Connect the GV unit to the new tail housing with 8 bolts.
  • That's it for the mechanical part, electrical connection when I start wiring up everything.

Next week will be installing the passenger side header and putting the steering linkages back together. During the week I an going to have the O2 sensor bung TIG welded to the collector of the passenger side header for the EFI system.

-jbojo

IMG_2299.JPG

IMG_2300.JPG

IMG_2301.JPG

IMG_2302.JPG

IMG_2305.JPG

IMG_2306.JPG

IMG_2307.JPG

IMG_2310.JPG

IMG_2311.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad that everything went smoothly! Looks great! I haven't received my brake valve yet, but I did receive my master cylinder. I'll be glad to have the brakes done!

Looks good and you even have some 4 legged helpers

8/20/13

Thx for the comments guys!!!!

Got a little done today. Installed the passenger side header and determined where the O2 bung should go on the collector. Drilled 7/8" hole and got the bung welded up. Next get some high temp paint and touch up the collector and install this coming weekend.

-jbojo

IMG_2313.JPG

IMG_2314.JPG

8/20/13

Thx for the comments guys!!!!

Got a little done today. Installed the passenger side header and determined where the O2 bung should go on the collector. Drilled 7/8" hole and got the bung welded up. Next get some high temp paint and touch up the collector and install this coming weekend.

-jbojo
It will work there just fine but it may read slightly leaner than real life. The temp at that point is still a little on the high side for the sensor.

If your tune is on by your wide band but it still seems to be slightly rich in real life then you will know why. I have chased this before and when I moved the O2 back a bit my A/F reading better matched what I was seeing in the real world.

Very nicely done sir - I respect your skills.

Paul

It will work there just fine but it may read slightly leaner than real life. The temp at that point is still a little on the high side for the sensor.

If your tune is on by your wide band but it still seems to be slightly rich in real life then you will know why. I have chased this before and when I moved the O2 back a bit my A/F reading better matched what I was seeing in the real world.

Very nicely done sir - I respect your skills.

Paul

Thx Paul, I appreciate your comments. I was debating on placing it further back and talked myself on placing as close to the flange as possible. If I do run into issues I will take your advice and move it back a little.

-jbojo

jbojo,

Looking great! There is no extra support for the twist locks and it's really self explanatory how they bolt up/go together. Kit Sullivan on here has some good info he posted about the hole size that's needed to prevent flexing. IMHO the twist locks takes the look of the car to the next level.

Keep in mind that twist locks and tu-tone hoods went hand in hand from the factory...couldn't get one without the other.

I'm really diggin' how good it looks and how well your progressing with it. Good job!

I'll be in the Tacoma/Seattle area the week of October 7th. If you are nearby and available I'd enjoy meeting up and seeing your car if possible.

I'll be in the Tacoma/Seattle area the week of October 7th. If you are nearby and available I'd enjoy meeting up and seeing your car if possible.
Thx Don,

Unfortunately the car won't be ready by then. I will try to meet up with you guys during that time period. I responded to your PM.

-jbojo

Latest posts

Back