Bojo's 73 Project

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will let you know as soon as i get some interior in it it is still a shell now

hope to have it done for the 50th party at charlett,nc

6/29/13

Today I tackled the rivets on the door windows, once I got a hang of it this went pretty fast. With that window lift plate removed the windows came right out. Thx for all the feedback on how to remove these, grinding off the heads was the easiest way. I have ordered the replacement bolts from Don at OMS which he took off a donor car. So now both doors are gutted and I started to remove the tar that they used to attach the vapor barrier to the door. Also removed the door and rear QTR MACH 1 decal on the driver side. Wish there was an easier way to do that. I only managed to get one side removed. I'll be working on it again tomorrow.

-jbojo

IMG_2197.JPG

IMG_2198.JPG

IMG_2199.JPG

IMG_2200.JPG

IMG_2201.JPG

IMG_2211.JPG

IMG_2213.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
7/4/13

I found a 3M Stripe Off Wheel and boy did that work well. It takes off decals without messing up the paint and I was able to do the rear qtr and passenger door decal within an hour. Also redid the driver side and it removed the adhesive with no problems. Last week I removed the decals with a razor blade and it took well over 2 hrs to do that and you could still see the decal outline. I also started to work on the front fender in prep for priming and sound insulation. Tomorrow I am going to continue to work on the front fenders.

BTW, the 3M wheel is pricey ($44.00) but should be able to remove all the decals with one wheel.

jbojo

IMG_2214.JPG

IMG_2216.JPG

IMG_2218.JPG

IMG_2219.JPG

IMG_2220.JPG

Wow, that did work really well.
Yeah, it was amazing. The wheel will remove the decal and adhesive without damaging the paint. You can see the original sheen/finish on the car when it left the factory after I remove the decals. I would recommend using this if you need to remove decals.

The fender pic in the previous post is when I removed the decal with a razor, heat gun and solvent.

-jbojo

Last edited by a moderator:
7/6/13

Today I spent time cleaning both doors in prep for shooting the Lizard skin on the inner door panels. Also removed the rubber gunk that held the vapor barrier in place. I am going to reshoot paint on the whole door so they should look better than the factory did. Also got the passenger side front fender cleaned and primed on the inner side so I can apply the lizard skin on the inside of the fender. I will shoot the inside of the fender white to match the whole car. Tomorrow I do the other fender and then shoot the sound insulation on all the parts. Once this step is done the body gets prepped for paint. Getting closer to getting it on the road again.

-jbojo

IMG_2224.JPG

IMG_2222.JPG

IMG_2223.JPG

7/8/13

Yesterday I did work on the driver side front fender. It had more rust to deal with so it took much longer to do. Looks like all they did was primer the inner fender and left it at that. Next weekend I finish these and start the body prep work.

-jbojo

IMG_2225.JPG

IMG_2226.JPG

IMG_2228.JPG

IMG_2229.JPG

IMG_2230.JPG

7/13/13

Got the sound insulation on the inner front fenders and the 2 doors today. They came out pretty good. Had a slight accident today and my hood fell and was dented. The dent was on a crease line so now I am having to spend time fixing this. The car is almost ready for primer and then drivetrain install.

-jbojo

IMG_2235.JPG

IMG_2236.JPG

IMG_2237.JPG

IMG_2240.JPG

Looks good man.....I got to work this weekend... ill be free by next weekend for sure...sat or sunday...I'll give you a ring before i head over to town...And check out your stang.

Looking totally awesome! So did you use lizard skin on the underside of the fenders too? I need to do something like that on my cars.

Looking totally awesome! So did you use lizard skin on the underside of the fenders too? I need to do something like that on my cars.
Don,

Yes, I used the Lizard Skin on the doors and fender area. Debating now to either spray the inner front fenders white (9A) or a satin black. Will never see it so I am leaning towards black. It appeared to be originally primered only except for the head light areas.

-jbojo

Nice job. How much lizard skin have you used so far?
2 buckets (2 gal each) of the sound insulation and one of the thermal. I put it on pretty thick. 1 gal could do the floor and roof but I shot all the voids, trunk, panels etc. Probably went a little overboard. I am done now.

-jbojo

7/20/13

Today I spray painted the inner front fenders satin black and they look really nice. Should not have anymore rust developing there again

Next I tackled the dent in the hood which was pretty nasty. The dent which was about an inch long and 1/2 inch deep was right on the contour of the air scoops. Because the hood is double skinned in that area I couldn't get behind and pound it out. Also didn't want to drill holes and try to pull the dent out. The solution I came up with was to pull out the Mig welder and just fill in the dent with new metal, I didn't want to have a lot of Bondo on the hood. I didn't take any pics of the welded section because I was so pissed at myself for letting the hood fall in the first place and didn't think about it. Ater grinding down the welds I got it close enough so that a thin layer of Bondo got the contours back again. The pics that I did take show the final finishing work. I spent the whole day on this because I decided to go with gloss black vice the matte black and it would be really noticeable if it wasn't fixed right. Tomorrow, working on the underside of the hood. Needs a lot of work because the paint is flaking and there's some rust to deal with. I am making the Ram Air functional on this build.

-jbojo

IMG_2243.JPG

IMG_2242.JPG

IMG_2244.JPG

Back