Build/Restore Thread: 1973 Ford Mustang Fastback

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
451????? Does the fifth digit in the Vin look like this BS :)

Side Note: I found out that my Fastback actually has a 451 engine with Edelbrock dress up kit. I thought the engine was a 351 but that's good news.

I'm thinking it's a 351 4V. Is there a 4 stamped on the top of the heads at the front?

Last edited by a moderator:
Side Note: I found out that my Fastback actually has a 451 engine with Edelbrock dress up kit. I thought the engine was a 351 but that's good news.

I'm thinking it's a 351 4V. Is there a 4 stamped on the top of the heads at the front?
I'll have to stop by the shop and check it out. However, my mechanic told me it's a 451 engine without a hesitation so I take his word for it. I'll have to examine the engine again.

I have heard of 451 before but I don't think I have heard one in a mustang. I'll have to double check with my mechanic.

UPDATE: My mechanic said the new parts never showed up last week, so they are expecting it this coming week. :mad:

I have heard of 451 before but I don't think I have heard one in a mustang. I'll have to double check with my mechanic.

UPDATE: My mechanic said the new parts never showed up last week, so they are expecting it this coming week. :mad:
1- I too have never heard of a 451

2- If your mechanic says it is a 451 - it might be wise to get a new mechanic

If its got a 451 its one of a kind, like a 71 Shelby so rare nobody's heard of it

Each of us helping educate each other in what we're good at is what this sight is all about.
Hey I'm here to have fun and making fun of Mark is fun , wait making fun of Mark and Roy is funner :p

I'll have to double check with him - I may have heard him wrong. But I clearly remember him telling me it's a 451. Next time I see the car, I will take good pictures of the engine bay from different angles and let you guys decide. Sorry I just have no knowledge of engine and transmission as of now. Looking forward to learn more about them.

I'll have to double check with him - I may have heard him wrong. But I clearly remember him telling me it's a 451. Next time I see the car, I will take good pictures of the engine bay from different angles and let you guys decide. Sorry I just have no knowledge of engine and transmission as of now. Looking forward to learn more about them.
Pay no attention to the men behind the curtain! :p We'll get it staitened out.

Pay no attention to the men behind the curtain! :p We'll get it staitened out.
Haha 10-4!

Each of us helping educate each other in what we're good at is what this sight is all about.
Hey I'm here to have fun and making fun of Mark is fun , wait making fun of Mark and Roy is funner :p
OK group hug:D now go cut down a tree or something
73.fastback - sorry to hi -jack your post - but I have to keep these 2 in line here...

At this time his wife is cutting down the trees - his hand hurts and it sound like he NEEDS a hug - good thing you two are HOOKING up next week for TNFEST

OK back to the regularly scheduled mustang Q & A

Hey guys, sorry I've been very busy with college - but now I'm back in the game. The mechanics at the shop finally got the new parts and started working on my Fastback earlier in the week. So here are the pictures.

Engine Experts: My mechanic says the engine that I currently have is a 451 (I believe with Edelbrock dress up kit but he didn't say anything about it). Most of you have unheard of a 451 engine in a Fastback before so check out the first two pictures and let me know what you see! (Sorry I only have the basic knowledge of the engine and transmission).

Other than the engine, the rest of the pictures show the front core support that holds the radiator - see how its rusted trough? ¡No bien! We are putting a brand new piece in.

If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to post!

photo_1_zpsf9d18a66.jpg

photo_2_zpsac0187a5.jpg

photo_3_zps31ab9257.jpg

photo_4_zps6946457b.jpg

photo_5_zps094199d2.jpg

photo_6_zpsff1f37a1.jpg

OK group hug:D now go cut down a tree or something
73.fastback - sorry to hi -jack your post - but I have to keep these 2 in line here...

At this time his wife is cutting down the trees - his hand hurts and it sound like he NEEDS a hug - good thing you two are HOOKING up next week for TNFEST

OK back to the regularly scheduled mustang Q & A
Haha it's all good!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not an engine expert but.

There is NO SUCH THING as a 451

That sort of looks like a trunk 400 / 351 M

The plastic PS pump is throwing me off.

Update: My mechanic doesn't know the exact size, but he knows it's a big block 4 something. Possibly 427?

Another pic of the engine:

photo_7_zpse2d8ed90.jpg

As Jeremy said there should be casting numbers

Usually around the starter area.

Get some numbers and we can help you find out

Back