C6 Tramsmission

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robnbama

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Ford Mustang Mach one
I have a '73 Mustang with a 460 and a c6 bolted to it with the long tailshaft. I've already fixed the transmission crossmember problem. Well I found a nice c6 transmission out of a 72 Mustang 351 today for $250 and was planning on swapping out the shift levers. Would the c6 I bought today bolt up to the 460? ...if not is there an adapter plate available to make it work? I thought about swapping out the tailshaft and rear housing but it will require the transmission to be completely disassembled. If I go with the longer transmission I will have to pay somebody to shorten the driveshaft.

The two transmissions have different bell housing bolt patterns.

I don think a small block transmission (289, 302, 351 C and W) is 'adaptable' to a big block (429 or 460) engine.

I think shortening the driveshaft might be the least painful option...

Last edited by a moderator:
Because transmissions are readily available for both mounting patterns there is no incentive for anyone to spend the development costs for an adapter. Most adapters are $600 and up, so it is cheaper to buy a used transmission.

Back