Can this distributor be identified and does it have any value?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1 351c FMX trans and 9 inch rear end
Can someone help me determine what this distributor is from and if it is worth trying to sell it? As I am going through the boxes of parts in my garage, I am trying to get rid of as much as possible that I will not need to complete the assembly of my 71 Mach. This distributor was in the engine when I purchased it for the build. The guy I purchased the engine from was a friend of a friend and we have gotten to know each other pretty well since I bought the engine. He has given me a little more back story on the engine, He told me, although he knew the engine block was a 72, the engine was out of a 71 M code car that he parted out and scrapped because the body had a lot of rust and a quite a bit of body damage as well so he felt it was not salvageable. Anyway, I have now determined, with a lot of help from members here, that the block is actually a D2AE-CA date coded 2F2. When it went to the machine shop we discovered it had four bolt main caps, this was a nice surprise. Nice but not necessary, as I only built a quite tame build, when we Dyno'd it and I think it only pulled 437 HP and 451 torque if I remember correctly, which is plenty for what I am doing with it, The cylinder heads are D1AE closed Chamber 4V heads, so they may have been original to the donor car. IMO, it appears this 71 M code Mustang he parted out had 71 M code heads but a 72 M code block, does that sound accurate?
Anyway, the engine came with this distributor and I was told the engine ran in the donor car with this distributor so it seems it was functional. I am trying to determine what it came out of so I can represent it accurately to see if someone needs one, I don't need it but maybe someone does? I took pics of the few stampings on it that I could find. I read on the internet that supposedly all 351C distributors had the C8VA-12131-B 1968 Lincoln 460 casting? If that is true then that number probably doesn't help much at all. I would appreciate any clues that anyone might be able to decipher.

Distributor 1.jpgDistributor 2.jpgDistributor 3.jpgDistributor 4.jpgMach 1 159.jpg

Impossible to tell what it "was", since all of the ID stamps were machined off. Motorcraft places it as a '72-later housing. The date code is present, but the first character is illegible. ?L6 format is year-month-day.

The 335 and 385 series engines shared the same distributor assemblies, often only varying in their calibration.

Impossible to tell what it "was", since all of the ID stamps were machined off. Motorcraft places it as a '72-later housing. The date code is present, but the first character is illegible. ?L6 format is year-month-day.

The 335 and 385 series engines shared the same distributor assemblies, often only varying in their calibration.
Thanks, I was just wondering if I missed something on it, because I couldn't find anything that indicated what or when it was from. It seems like that engine I bought was a mix of 71 and 72 parts jumbled together. They all seem to play nicely together though, she sure runs well, haha.

Last edited:
I listed it on eBay for $50 or best plus shipping and someone offered me $40 plus shipping, I thought that was fair, so I accepted the offer and away it goes. Less stuff I am not using lying around the garage is a good thing, LOL. :D

Latest posts

Back