Carb recommendations?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On a side note here...…...Holley Carburetor was an OEM supplier to Ford as far back as the Model T days. The Holley 4160 carb ( that we all know today ) was designed originally for the 1957 Ford T-Bird 312 and was original equipment on it. Holley's Dominator carb was designed originally for the big Ford Boss engines running Nascar. The 4150 Holley carbs were OEM on various Boss 302 and 428 Fords.  Holleys are appropriate on Fords, and are quite simple.  That said, the Summit carb was DESIGNED and marketed by Holley around 1989. Summit bought the rights to  sell them cast as their own, but have been around for years, and are very decent carbs, and they have the one piece body and down-leg boosters as the Ford 4100 carbs were famously designed with ( the 4100 is a good carb in it's own right, I think Ford stopped putting them on their 4bbl engines around '68) . Holley released the model 4010 carb ( the Summit carb ) around 1989.  Even though the Edelbrock carb is a Weber re-do of the original Carter AFB, for some reason, they don't run as well as the old Carter AFBs, especially the "Competition Series" AFBs, which were great.

Personally, I like the Holley 4160 and Summit carbs on the street with an automatic. I'd go to the 4150 if I had a hotter 4 speed. But , in any case, I find that I'll trust rebuilding as long as the carb was purchased new by me in the first place ...…….otherwise, you may never know of internal problems. The very best rule of thumb, if you're not well versed in carburetors, is to just buy a new one.
Spike, Amen to all that you just stated. Ron

Perhaps I just did not know or realize until recently, that Quick Fuel carbs are made by Holley. I always thought they were an off-shoot carb designed by some ex Holley engineers. Maybe my info was wrong from the start. Last week, I was looking at new carbs and went to the Holley website only to find Quick Fuel listed as well. On the Holley website, one can enter the specs for your engine. For a 351 @5500rpm max with mild modifications, it listed carbs between 570 and 600 cfm. This does not take into account the 351C 4V's massive valves and ports. I was also looking at the Summit brand. 

Reading the latest post from Spike and others and if cost is a consideration, the Summit brand would probably be top of the list. I forget which of the Australian members said he had the summit and was very happy with it.
Holley bought QF a few years ago along with MSD and a good portion of the hot rod parts industry. In turn, Holley is owned by Sentinel Capital. That is why everything is priced the same no matter where you buy it. In the old days we called that price fixing. Chuck

I didn’t know that either. I bought a Quick Fuel carb last year and I really like it. It’s very responsive and with the Blue Thunder intake on my newly built motor it’s really running great. Hopefully they don’t turn theses into crap, but don’t hold your breath. I guess theses summit carbs are looking like the way to go.

Perhaps I just did not know or realize until recently, that Quick Fuel carbs are made by Holley. I always thought they were an off-shoot carb designed by some ex Holley engineers. Maybe my info was wrong from the start. Last week, I was looking at new carbs and went to the Holley website only to find Quick Fuel listed as well. On the Holley website, one can enter the specs for your engine. For a 351 @5500rpm max with mild modifications, it listed carbs between 570 and 600 cfm. This does not take into account the 351C 4V's massive valves and ports. I was also looking at the Summit brand. 

Reading the latest post from Spike and others and if cost is a consideration, the Summit brand would probably be top of the list. I forget which of the Australian members said he had the summit and was very happy with it.
Holley bought QF a few years ago along with MSD and a good portion of the hot rod parts industry. In turn, Holley is owned by Sentinel Capital. That is why everything is priced the same no matter where you buy it. In the old days we called that price fixing. Chuck
 Thanks for the clarification Chuck.

Geoff.

Back