Carpet recommendation

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrantOv

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Mach1
I wasnt happy with the carpet or crappy old insulation under it. So started taking out everything today. Probably will add sound deadener while its out

Is there a one piece molded carpet set that is good and recommended for a fastback 72 mach? Or at least a set that puts the seam deep under the seat so it isnt so visible?

Attachments

• IMG20240414131554.jpg
    IMG20240414131554.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 2
I wasnt happy with the carpet or crappy old insulation under it. So started taking out everything today. Probably will add sound deadener while its out

Is there a one piece molded carpet set that is good and recommended for a fastback 72 mach? Or at least a set that puts the seam deep under the seat so it isnt so visible?
I was just asking myself the same question today, seems ACC nylon mass backed is the best option but would love to hear what people think

I just installed ACC's mass backed carpet in my 71 Mach 1. its good stuff, it just takes a little work to get fitted due to the thickness. If you go this route, order through Rock Auto, much cheaper than ACC direct.

I put in lizardskin sound and heat over a rust encapsulater. Haven’t done carpet yet as I am out of money for project stuff

I can put my hand on the floor comfortably right where the 3” exhaust is so it works pretty good

Hi 71coop - would you happen to have a picture or could you describe where the two pieces overlap and show the seam between them. I don't have a full center console since I chose to go with aftermarket armrest/cupholder and consolette around my shifter.

Did you apply the lizard skin yourself? I would feel much more comfortable using this product or something similar (plus a second layer of some butyl rubber deadening) if I could apply it with a brush.

I used the standard molded Mach 1 carpet from ACC and the fit was good. I would use the mass backed version if I were doing it over.

Floors look really good in that car, not something we see here in the northeast very much.

Sorry, it needs swept. The mass backed carpet sits nice and snug, no gapping like the old cheaper version.

IMG_0081.jpg

I have put in two of the ACC carpet kits. Both with the mass backed. The second one gave me some trouble at the steering column. The seam lines up with the seat in the far back position. Not really deep under the seat, but you may be able to move it back an inch or two before it doesn't fit.

Do what rcadd1ct recommended with the rust encapsulater. I use Gemplers for minor surface rust in areas that don't show because it is bare minimum prep and pretty cheap. I tested this on a rusty wheel barrel and it is still hanging in there after 2 years of outside weather.

I used a sound deadening I purchased from an upholstery shop years ago made out of really dense fibers, mainly because I was paranoid about moisture getting in between the floor board and a non porous deadener like rubber or tar mats.

These are the tools I use. The heat gun is to melt the edge of cut carpet, not really necessary but it keeps the fraying down. The machinist pick is for locating the holes, or put the screws in and use those for locating. The soldering iron is for putting a hole in your carpet where the screw goes that way the screw doesn't catch a fiber and wad your carpet up. Use a fan to ventilate the smoke and a wire brush to keep the soldering iron clean. Take your time fitting the carpet because it is really hard to undo a hole in it.

Attachments

• IMG_1144.JPG
    IMG_1144.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1146.JPG
    IMG_1146.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
I appreciate the great experiences shared. Very helpful.

Right now here is where I'm leaning -

Floors -
1 - clean up much better - adhesive removal from old original yellow insulation

2 - since I have full access, I think it would be a good opportunity to spray the floor with rust inhibitor

3 - add sound deadener floor kit from ACC - https://www.accmats.com/commerce/1972/Ford/Mustang/Sound Deadener/10236/ - This kit is precut and includes the trunk which is nice.

4 - add mass cut pile carpet using suggestions from 72mokk1 on installation. https://www.cjponyparts.com/acc-car...ack-black-fastback-mach-1-1971-1973/p/MC53-V/ I need to dig into Rock Auto to find the equivalent (I really hate their website). I'll probably go with cut-pile since this is middle of the road ACC quality (one higher and one lower in quality)

Doors -
1 - add some butyl rubber mass damping on the inside door skins (I have some already). It will be a pain but I can put strips in through the access holes if I take my time.

I realize this doesn't align with some people's dyanmat 100% coverage philosophy but I think with doing a both the sound deadener from accmats and the mass carpet on the floor it should be quite affective.

Thanks for the insights -

Floors -

2 - since I have full access, I think it would be a good opportunity to spray the floor with rust inhibitor

3 - add sound deadener floor kit from ACC - https://www.accmats.com/commerce/1972/Ford/Mustang/Sound Deadener/10236/ - This kit is precut and includes the trunk which is nice.

4 - add mass cut pile carpet using suggestions from 72mokk1 on installation. https://www.cjponyparts.com/acc-car...ack-black-fastback-mach-1-1971-1973/p/MC53-V/ I need to dig into Rock Auto to find the equivalent (I really hate their website). I'll probably go with cut-pile since this is middle of the road ACC quality (one higher and one lower in quality)

Doors -
1 - add some butyl rubber mass damping on the inside door skins (I have some already). It will be a pain but I can put strips in through the access holes if I take my time.

I realize this doesn't align with some people's dyanmat 100% coverage philosophy but I think with doing a both the sound deadener from accmats and the mass carpet on the floor it should be quite affective.

I haven’t heard good things about cut pile carpet. I have been using Eastwood rust encapsulator and it brushes on nice, might top coat it in black, I’ve used a fifth of the gallon. Make sure to put new seam sealer OVER your rust stuff if you decide to replace it. I think similar is normally just there to stop the metal from vibrating doesn’t need to be out everywhere. Good luck.

Floors -

Doors -

Lizard Skin works in doors, also. It will be less weight on the door hinges than butyl rubber mass dampening and, if you use aluminum foil to mask the window regulator/tracks, it sprays in nicely.

I had the interior out of the 71 Cougar last fall to fix some leaks - a rusty rear window channel, cracked gasket and the cowl. After those repairs and filling some pinholes in the floors, I topcoated with Rust Bullet Automotive, which is an aluminum colored encapsulator. It's easy to get (Amazon) and works very well.

I added some Siless 80mil sound deadener in key areas and laid the original sound deadener back down on the floors. The rear seat area deadener was badly deteriorated, so I bought 5 yards of 40mm jute from Upholstery Supply and cut new deadeners. Glued them in place with 3M 90 spray adhesive. The results are amazing, the car is so much quieter inside.

I reused the carpet, but I would have bought a mass backed version if I needed to replace it.

Jute padding - https://www.uphsup.com/p-6227-cpp4005-auto-carpet-pad-40-oz-36-x-5-yds-per-roll.aspx

Rust Bullet - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002P3IJ8/ref=twister_B086D7LG5T?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

1713221834469.png

1713221793886.png

1713221877703.png

I used the standard molded Mach 1 carpet from ACC and the fit was good. I would use the mass backed version if I were doing it over.

Floors look really good in that car, not something we see here in the northeast very much.
Hemi killer I used the mass backed also and not real pleased with it. As you know it’s preformed and with the mass backing if it isn’t formed properly like mine it’s hard to get it to sit good. Mine was off on the back section at the rockers and I couldn’t get it as nice as I would have liked but it’s fine for now.

I used this stuff from Amazon and it made a huge difference. Make sure you seal off the trunk from the back seat as that makes even a bigger difference. I put something on both sides of the back seat mounting frame and some on the trunk floor.
Also do under your back panels and cover the wheel housings. IMG_0742.jpegIMG_0741.jpeg

Did you apply the lizard skin yourself? I would feel much more comfortable using this product or something similar (plus a second layer of some butyl rubber deadening) if I could apply it with a brush.
Yes I did my whole build myself in my garage minus the 4spd rebuild.

I used their spray gun. Clean up is easy with just water

Floors -

Doors -

I forgot to add, if you like your console screws find some sacrificial screws the same size for the locators.

ACC is the only game in town. And ACC "Raylon Loop" is by far the most-correct and most-original-appearing material. Raylon Loop, with the mass backing, is the way to go IMHO..

But I'll warn you about the "discount" ACC sellers online, because when it comes to ordering Raylon carpet, it's sketchy. Some say they're selling you "80/20", but true 80/20 has been extinct for over 20 years now. When the last producer of Rayon in the U.S. quit producing, ACC had to go back to the drawing board, and that's when they co-developed "Raylon", which is a nylon thread loop, but far closer to original-looking than their cheaper/older "Nylon" loop.

Or, the website will just tell you that you're getting "Nylon Loop", which I guarantee is the bad stuff. You want RAYLON... So, wherever you buy, make sure that's what you're ordering and that you get what you're paying for.

Rick
NPD

Ok - in some sites I see three quality levels of ACC Mach1 carpet. Original, Cut Pile and Essex (each about $100 more). Most sites give very little in terms of description but CJPony at least calls out the difference. What am I missing?

Last edited:
To add to GrantOV's post - I don't see any problem with the RockAuto stuff. I had the cheap-ass version installed by the previous owner, and changed it out with the mass backed carpet from RA - much nicer, and a lot cheaper than ordering from ACC.

Latest posts

Back