Changing Turning Signal Switch

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach1, 351 Cleveland, Ram Air (not factory), C6 Automatic, AM/8 Track, Bright Red.
I'm replacing my turning signal switch, the one I currently have on it requires me to hold the lever up while turning right, it won't stay up on it's own. I was able to locate a NOS switch part# D2AZ-13341-C on ebay still in the box for $69.00, actually cheaper than the reproduction switches. Don't know if that means the reproductions ones are better or if I just got a good deal.

How big a job is it? last thing I want to do is start the job, not be able to complete it then not be able to drive it to a shop. Any advice appreciated, thanks!

Jim

!!!Switch.jpg!!!Box.jpg

Jim,

disconnect battery

remove steering wheel NOTE postion of the wheel and column - mark with daub of paint

remove steering column covers

3- 4 screws hold switch in I think 3 + 1 on the single wire /clip

unplug and remove switch

install in reverse order

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a thought, because I had this same problem when I got my car last year. I had to replace the switch because it was not working at all, but when I bought a new one it was just slightly off and like you said I had to hold the turn signal lever up to signal. So i just filed the opening 1/16th and now it works great. You can test this by unscrewing the lever and using a nail or something else to move the switch inside the steering column.

But the turn signal switch is very easy to do. Just take your time taking it out and take notes or photos of each step so you can get it back in the same way it came out.

Good luck.

As the others have said, it's very easy. I bought a replacement switch and had one of the high school shop kids replace it, and he said it was a "cinch". Unfortunately, he didn't follow Don's advice and when he replaced the steering wheel, it was off about 27 degrees, so that's something I'll have to fix. Hey, free labor. Can't complain.

But it is an easy job. Yep, get a steering wheel puller.

Don't forget to disable the airbag before removing the steering wheel!:D

Latest posts

Back