Charcoal canister alternative

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ripper679

Reaction score
Hello all. My 73 has no charcoal canister. I was thinking of using this guy (my car is not original by any means). Wondering.... looks like one port is for the tank vent line, one is left open, and one to the engine. Can I "T" this in with my PCV valve.

Still building car. Running  FITECH fuel injection, aeromotive 90 gph stealth fuel tank and a 575hp 351W with 5 speed trans.

Ac delco part 17113148

I'd fab up a mount and mount it in the OE location. Just curious if merging it with the PCV is OK.

Is there a better option out there?

I'm liking this option because it is a readily available AC delco part. 

Whatcha guys think?

Screenshot_20211128-081146_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20211128-073603_Chrome.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Teeing it into the PCV line will likely reduce, or eliminate, the function of the PCV system, which is to eliminate water and hydrocarbon fumes from the crankcase, as well as making your fuel mixture too lean. That cannister is designed to be controlled by valves and the EEC.

You would be better off buying a used one and rebuilding it. Use activated charcoal for fish tank filters.

Contact Don at Ohio Mustang Supply or Mike at Motor City Mustangs, they are both site supporters and advertisers and their links are at the bottom of the page in the "Market Place".

If they don't have one you can try here:

Carbon Canister - Used for 1971 Mercury Cougar, 1972 Mercury Cougar, 1971 Ford Mustang, 1972 Ford Mustang at West Coast Classic Cougar :: The Definitive 1967 - 1973 Mercury Cougar Parts Source (cougarpartscatalog.com)

Thanks for that info! Don't really want to use a stock one due to the fact that I'm running a fitech fuel injection setup with an air cleaner with no port in it for the canister, so my stock hookup points are gone. I'll call fitech and ask them what they think, however, hoping someone has experience with this kind of setup. It was on many gm vehicles for almost a decade with an apparently easy two hose setup. I'm noodling around on the internet to find out exactly where to hook it up to. 

Any suggestions welcome. Apparently a "T" in the PCV is a no go. Bummer.... I was hoping that would work.

Is there any reason why you want to use the charcoal canister? You could just leave it off and forget about it. It is an early emissions device for recirculating fumes from the gas tank back into the engine. I don't know when Ford started using them, but they came out in the late 60's, before that gas tanks just vented to the atmosphere. I don't see why you couldn't use the GM EVAP canister or an old Ford canister if you wanted to. All you would need is a hole on the bottom of the air cleaner where you can hook up the outlet of the canister. Most aftermarket air cleaners have a place to hook up a hose to the bottom of them, sometimes they come with a "knock-out" piece of metal that you need to push out and then they have a plastic adapter that you can hook in there and hook up your canister to. Like this Mr. Garbage one:

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/air_cleaners/parts/1400G

You can just replace the whole system with a vent. I just routed some hose from the fitting on top of the fuel tank to the wheel well with one of these at the end mounted upright.  https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tnk-vvr?seid=srese1

The charcoal EVAP system is supposed to reduce the fuel vapor smell, but I personally have not been able to tell any difference vs a vent.

Back