Chrome door edge guards an original option?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tkelley72

Reaction score
My Car
72 mustang convertible
My 72 convertible has chrome door edge guards and has since I bought it. (15 plus years ago) I'm trying to determine if this was an original option ( factory or dealer added) when new? I've played with the idea of removing them but afraid of what might be under there or possibly damaging the paint while removing them. They look OK in my opinion but would probably look better without. My car is basically stock in appearance so if it's possible it came that way I'm OK with leaving them. I'm sure you guys will know the answer to this. Thanks!

Attachments

• _DSF0758.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
My 72 convertible has chrome door edge guards and has since I bought it. (15 plus years ago) I'm trying to determine if this was an original option ( factory or dealer added) when new? I've played with the idea of removing them but afraid of what might be under there or possibly damaging the paint while removing them. They look OK in my opinion but would probably look better without. My car is basically stock in appearance so if it's possible it came that way I'm OK with leaving them. I'm sure you guys will know the answer to this. Thanks!
Those edge guards look good on your Stang. Leav'em on.

The door edge guards could be ordered as part of the Protection group option, or ordered specifically. I like the look of them on the car. They are not all that noticeable. I should mention that they are a tight fit, so once they are on, you may not be able to take them off without some paint damage.
1688056406729.png
1688052941444.png
1973 Mustang Profile Small picJPG.JPG

Last edited:
Good to know. I thought they looked OK too and was worried about messing up the paint if I tried to remove them. My paint is in really good shape so I really didn't want to mess with it. I don't have a Marti Report but I do have the original invoice and window sticker so I'll look at that and see if they are listed. If not, maybe they were dealer installed. Thanks guys!

Yep, they were an option from Ford.
Yes for 71-73 Mustangs//Cougars also. Words of Wisdom:: Protective Body Side Mouldings on Mustangs are bolt on. Holes to weld up if removed. 71-73 Cougars are stick on ((Thank God)) So removal, on cat much easier. On Mustangs & Cougars, they all look much better removed!! Really!!

Back