CJ or not CJ

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've always understood numbers matching to mean:

Last 6 digits of TITLE VIN match last 6 digits of dash tag, engine block, transission, and aprons at shocktower.

Well if you go by "documentation" you will get several answers that differ. Lot's of Misinformation in the sales guides sent out to dealers and several revisions made during model years. Not to mention human error on the assembly lines. Just like there are two or three different correct air cleaners for 73 Q Codes. Chrome lid similar to the 72 CJ without the extra air inlet, same base with painted lid then the Smaller taller 2V one was used late in production as they ran out of the earlier models. All California cars supposedly came with the painted lid and 351-4V stickers.

Well if you go by "documentation" you will get several answers that differ. Lot's of Misinformation in the sales guides sent out to dealers and several revisions made during model years. Not to mention human error on the assembly lines. Just like there are two or three different correct air cleaners for 73 Q Codes. Chrome lid similar to the 72 CJ without the extra air inlet, same base with painted lid then the Smaller taller 2V one was used late in production as they ran out of the earlier models. All California cars supposedly came with the painted lid and 351-4V stickers.
Mine had a painted air cleaner with a worn out 4v sticker on it...I always wondered why some got chrome..But mine did not..Great post!!..Btw..mine was a cali order car.

i think ford was like "if the the lid fits it sits." meaning ford raided the parts bin and threw whatever fit together on the cars. somebody in oct 1971 was like "hey jimmy hoffa i found these chrome lids for the air cleaners" "ok keep using them till you run out, i'm going to the meadowlands on Tuesday, later"

All,

Here is the Ford master parts page for 351W, 351C, 351 Spec. and 351 CJ. 72HCODE is correct in his assessment of grab what you can to keep the line running. We should not be surprised.

t0jk0y.jpg

Source: Ford Master Parts Catalog May, 1975

mustang7173

Back