Cole's build thread.... am I missing something here

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guys just saved me $30 and possibly a deprived bottom end. It was a high volume oil pump I was looking at. THANK YOU!!! Again I'd like to stress how FRIENDLY and helpful this site is. Even with boot camps like me. I so appreciate you guys patience and the willingness to help is overwhelming. So about 9PM CST time tonight you guys raise your glass. I'm popping a beer and give yall a toast!

http://www.harborfreight.com/46-piece-bolt-puller-set-37824.html

Try and pick one of these up tomorrow.

Again. Tons of thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ditto on borrowing tools meant for one time uses from autozone. Went to autozone to buy a steering wheel puller to change my turning signal switch and the guy behind the counter recommended I just borrow one, which I did. Paid the deposit, used it, returned it and got my deposit back, what a deal!

Jim

I think I'll get a temp sensor that's all crusted up from autozone and see about getting one as a loaner. Yall keep this saving me money stuff up I may someday get a cool paint job. Bwhahahahahah Baby steps Bro, baby steps...

Yep, Cole. Baby steps, bro'. I tripped over my damper puller just before I left home and said, "What am I ever going to use that for again?" I bought several tools that I'll doubtfully use again. If it's available, I would rent the tool that you rarely would use.

Hello Cole,

The apology was necessary! I jumped before I leaped and did not provide value to your thread. I have learned a big lesson here! We are here to provide the best solution available to the forum members.

A word of wisdom from a retired gentleman in the mustang world.

"Most of the time we are only, maybe driving 65 MPH down the road, turning a few thousand rpms. Why add all of that extra hardware? We are not drag racing down the road. It is a matter of personal choice! "

Here is what I found with the Melling High volume oil pump,

Melling HV oil Pump:

It has a 1/4" larger gear and housing that produces 25% higher volume of oil than the stock replacement oil pump, helping to solve low oil volume issues.

* It could possibly cause clearance issues due to the slightly larger size.*

Now, if one were going to crank up the rpm's alot, it is recommended to replace the oil pump shaft with a chrome-molly one. The stock one are prone to twisting with a lot sustained high rpm's.

Cole, So, I believe that a good standard volume oil pump like Mellings, would fit the bill with top engine rebuild.

I hope this helps!

Thank You,

mustang7173

I really didn't think anything about this. I appreciate any advise anyone gives!!! Please don't think in any way dude that I was complaining to the Mod's or anything. If I've got the wrong carb tell me. Dudes told me last night I was screwing up getting a high volume oil pump.

If someone is outa line believe me I will speak up but I'm always looking for the positive side. Got to be a real A-hole for me to speak up. Now fair warning...... I will politely but firmly let someone know if the "R" word is used it's not correct. It's a personal thing.

Norm harm, no foul, nothing ill intended by anyone. Let's get back to turning some wrenches.

Mustang7173, I fer one have never seen anything in your posts, that weren't corteous and obvouisly coming from an entheustastic fellow Mustanger. My guess your a jounger fellow did miss the mark though, Hehheh While occasionally I may disagree with some of your content, Never would I dispariage the spirit in which it is offered, and Lord knows all my offerings ain't such, that it carries carries no flaws within.

I hope we can meet-up someday show off our Mustangs, and share a tasty beverage and "This is how I did it's" with you. The folks here may not have found out yet, Butt Tubo does Luv a Blue Mustang!! Your looks like a Good'n!!

As fer the High Pressure oil pump,

Ahem... It's my understanding, Just like over carbing an engine (750 double pumper sounds soo much better than a 600 CFM carb) many folks tend to feel it necssary to excede engine requirements. That, a well built engine even with loose tolerances, isn't improved by a HV pump, and can even suffer "washed out bearings"(a concept I personally do not completely understand, though accept the permis of) An HV pump actually robs engine HP in the extra effort of trying to pump more oil, than will flow through the system. The HV pump is most useful on an older engine, with worn bearings and low oil pressure.

Best

Tubo

Hello Tubo,

Thank you for your response. Yes, I would be happy to share a tasty beverage and say , "This is how I did it's" with you too!

Your explanation on the HV oil pump was a , ok- I never thought about it that way, moment! I will definitely remember that one!

Thank You,

David

mustang7173 :D

Mustang7173, I fer one have never seen anything in your posts, that weren't corteous and obvouisly coming from an entheustastic fellow Mustanger. My guess your a jounger fellow did miss the mark though, Hehheh While occasionally I may disagree with some of your content, Never would I dispariage the spirit in which it is offered, and Lord knows all my offerings ain't such, that it carries carries no flaws within.

I hope we can meet-up someday show off our Mustangs, and share a tasty beverage and "This is how I did it's" with you. The folks here may not have found out yet, Butt Tubo does Luv a Blue Mustang!! Your looks like a Good'n!!

As fer the High Pressure oil pump,

Ahem... It's my understanding, Just like over carbing an engine (750 double pumper sounds soo much better than a 600 CFM carb) many folks tend to feel it necssary to excede engine requirements. That, a well built engine even with loose tolerances, isn't improved by a HV pump, and can even suffer "washed out bearings"(a concept I personally do not completely understand, though accept the permis of) An HV pump actually robs engine HP in the extra effort of trying to pump more oil, than will flow through the system. The HV pump is most useful on an older engine, with worn bearings and low oil pressure.

Best

Tubo

I was always told not to run a HV oil pump on our 351's and on the 302's. Dont know all the reasoning why, but thats what the machine shop that built all my motors told me. Said it pumps too much oil up top and the oil returns cant handle that amount of oil.

I was always told not to run a HV oil pump on our 351's and on the 302's. Dont know all the reasoning why, but thats what the machine shop that built all my motors told me. Said it pumps too much oil up top and the oil returns cant handle that amount of oil.
Exactly...in order to run a HV pump all passages need to be larger including feeds or two things (can) happen

1 too much pressure will lift a bearing causing excessive surface wear thereby leading to premature failure

2 they have been known to empty the pan at high RPM cause the return was inadequate for the volume

so just adding a HV oil pump to stock engine is not the best idea no matter what H R magazine says

Got to turn a few wrenches while the little one slept this morning. I am a master at stealth wrenching.

Got all the bolts from the pan out and oil drained. Waiting on when I can make a little noise to bust it loose. Also took the four bolts of the pulley. Does the pulley stay on when you pull the harmonic balancer? Would have rapped it with a hammer a little but ya know. Shhhhhh be berry berry quite.

Went ahead and bought the kit from harbor freight. I'm gonna have to do a steering wheel eventually. Hard for me to say hey can I borrow a tool I may have it back in a week. The Princess rules around this house. She lets me work on the car when she says I can. LOL

nzrosg.jpg

Other side of the block cleaned up nicely. Ports that were totally closed opened up and that thing that looked like a weld. Heavy duty rust.

ivfv2a.jpg

Dad says he'll get me an engine hoist for my B'day. I''m thinking an engine stand. This was good enough for hoisting those heads and manifolds out but I'm thinking since this is a double beam and sits right above the block I can support with 4x4's temp on the outside of the fenders. Drill trough the beams about half way up and reinforce with some 2x4's.

2q1sbpi.jpg

Seriously considering pulling this block just to be able to check some of the things you guys have mentioned. Also give me a chance to paint it up pretty, makes it easier to work on, be able to get into the engine area and pretty up a lot easier.

Again Kudos to everyone for keeping out of the oil pump mistake. Cheers.

No, rent or barrow an engine hoist. That way you can suspend and move the motor, instead of having to move the car from under it.

That, and the come a long is rated for pulling loads, not suspending and raising loads... don't take that risk.

Dang didn't think about that. I use the come along to get the car back in. Your absolutely right though. Safe is better for me and the car. :)

I have an old buddy that use to work with us that's a gear head. He only lives a couple blocks away. Gonna borrow a hoist and ask dad for the stand for my b'day. Thanks for setting me straight T!!

I've done the come along beam method. It's kind of scary seeing the engine hanging way up in the air as you move the car. Secondly I wouldn't trust that single eye bolt. If you do the come along method drill a 1" hole 1/2 way up the double beam and loop a chain through it for the come along to attach to. The come along will support the weight it's just more difficult to operate and overall process.

I recommend you rent a engine lift.

Buying an engine stand makes working on the block so much easier.

Any trick to getting the main bolt in the center of the harmonic balancer off. Hit it a few times with the impact wrench but didn't see any movement. 1/2 socket is just going to turn the crank and move the pistons. Maybe its easier when the engine is out?

Back