convertible top boot

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 mustang convertible
94 mustang gt convertible
I am looking for recomendations on a top boot for my 73. looking at the catalogues the qualities look so different from each vendor- some with snaps some without, some look like theres padding and others look like thin wrinkly material. what do you think is the best thanks george

I believe the photos you see with snaps are generic pictures because the older Mustangs used the snap boots. The boot I bought from CJ's several years ago looked like the original including the way it attached to the boot molding. It came with pre-cut foam pads, but you have to glue them to the boot. The foam pads were the same size as my original boot. I did have a problem with the boot being a tight fit, the vinyl streched at the both inside corners and may eventually tear. Not sure why, it could be the way my new top was installed and may not got down far enough or thicker padding in the top. Anyway not a big deal, looks fine. I would check with Don at Ohio Mustang, as he sells quality reproduction items, or he will tell you if it is not up to par.

The first picture below is without the foam padding and the other pictures are with the padding.

DSCF9259.jpg

DSCF0828.jpg

P4150130.jpg

P4150129.jpg

I have an original. Next time you are in SoCal, stop by and we will see how it fits.

Until then, call DON at Ohio Mustang. If it doesn't fit or looks like crap, you can bet Don will take care of it because he doesn't want to have a bad reputation on this site...and he will get it right the first time.

I bought my boot from NPD......sorry Don, but that was before I found 7173 mustangs. My boot fits well but I noticed it was tight over the top latches so I used some foam padding (extra packaging )from something I had bought and it worked out well.

Also, my OEM boot is very tight. I usually let it sit in the sun for 20 minutes or so to soften it up.

When I first got my boot, it took some time for it to stretch out. That was 15 years ago. Last year one of my snaps broke so it's time for another one.

BTW, I leave the foam pieces loose and tuck them under the boot just before I pull the side sections into position.

Well Don at Ohio came thru big time.

The boot came in but I couldn't stretch it to fit and the inside corner stiching looked like it was going to rip. I contacted the manufacture and sent photos but no response. I talked to Don, he made a call and a new boot was being made and sent my way. the new boot made it and fits perfectly. YOU JUST DON'T GET BETTER SERVICE THAN THIS.

newboot DSCF0578.JPG

new bootDSCF0573.JPG

1st bootDSCF0471.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Well Don at Ohio came thru big time.

The boot came in but I couldn't stretch it to fit and the inside corner stiching looked like it was going to rip. I contacted the manufacture and sent photos but no response. I talked to Don, he made a call and a new boot was being made and sent my way. the new boot made it and fits perfectly. YOU JUST DON'T GET BETTER SERVICE THAN THIS.

newboot

new boot

1st boot
very nice...I want one just like it! I'm going to call Don and get the same one. I've seen so many that don't fit near that well. Thanks, John

Back