Coolant Overflow Tank

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mach1460

Reaction score
My Car
72 mach 1
I have check with the common mustang parts suppliers and no one seems to carry an oem/aftermarket overflow tank replacement. Anyone have any leads??

I have seen a few cars that recycle old fire extinguishers to use as an over flow tank and they look pretty good. A nice stainless steel thermos or drinking bottle does a good job also.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, the overflow tube just vents out to the ground near the grille.

Yeah, the overflow tube just vents out to the ground near the grille.
I've added one from an autoparts store and it does the job well. I went through the trouble to "hide" it behind the headlight but I had to take apart the brackets to get it to fit.

if your using an overflow tank remember to buy a radiator cap that is designed to work with an overflow tank.

the regular rad cap is not meant to be used with an overflow tank so it won't suck in coolant from the tank if needed, it will just vent to the tank if the rad starts to overheat.

Yeah its funny. The first time after i topped off my radiator and got it nice and hot it spit all over the driveway. I was losing my mind. Then I realized it didnt have an overflow anyways.

Yeah its funny. The first time after i topped off my radiator and got it nice and hot it spit all over the driveway. I was losing my mind. Then I realized it didnt have an overflow anyways.
The fill level on these systems 71-73 is about an inch below the neck of the radiator.You should not loose any if you maintain that level.

The fill level on these systems 71-73 is about an inch below the neck of the radiator.You should not loose any if you maintain that level.
To add to Eddie's post - the system is self-leveling. Fill it to the cold level on the readiator and leave it alone. It'll find it's own level in a short time. If you keep filling it to the top, it will keep dumping it out on your driveway. Just make sure you have a good radiator cap and you're good to go. Stant makes one that looks very similar to the original Ford and only costs $3.00 or so. Has worked fine on my 71 for several years now.

To add to Eddie's post - the system is self-leveling. Fill it to the cold level on the readiator and leave it alone. It'll find it's own level in a short time. If you keep filling it to the top, it will keep dumping it out on your driveway. Just make sure you have a good radiator cap and you're good to go.
LOL.........i did that song and dance a couple times until i decided to just let the level be what it wants to be.........it always looks like it needs fluid...:dodgy:

i have never overheated...

originally i had an overflow tank installed when i bought my car.

i had a original 72 rad re-cored with a high efficiency core, I then converted back to factory with the correct cap and run off hose to the ground.

the only time i had coolant on the driveway was when i first filled it and waited for the coolant level to self adjust.

its been maintenance free, for at least 2.5 years now. i check the level before the driving season but the level has not moved.

Back