Cowl Support Brackets

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darren 72

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1
Help!!

Can someone share in detail how the support brackets, that are located over the rear apron and cover each end of the cowl, are attached and how to remove. I need a detail procedure. Are they spot welded? If so where are the welds? Does anyone have a pic showing how to remove these brackets? This is my first attempt at repairing one of these (cowl hat rot former ac car) and I'm inching along when I have time. The family thing slows work down to a snails pace sometimes...lol

Thanks in Advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Help!!

Can someone share in detail how the support brackets, that are located over the rear apron and cover each end of the cowl, are attached and how to remove. I need a detail procedure. Are they spot welded? If so where are the welds? Does anyone have a pic showing how to remove these brackets? This is my first attempt at repairing one of these (cowl hat rot former ac car) and I'm inching along when I have time. The family thing slows work down to a snails pace sometimes...lol

Thanks in Advance.
Darren,

They are spot welded on...you need whats called a spot weld driller

http://www.amazon.com/Blair-Equipment-Company-Spotweld-Cutter/dp/B000GTOOC0

Locate the spot welds by running a piece of 80 grit sandpaper over the area where you think they are most of the time you can feel it with your fingers (indent) Use a punch or nail to mark the center...Then use the spot weld cutter in your drill on SLOW to drill through THE TOP LAYER of metal only. You can then use a flat chisel to seperate the 2 pieces..Heres a pic of the piece notice where the holes are, those are the spot welds.

Scott

100_1804.JPG

Has anyone found a new source for these apron extensions yet? I see they are available for 69-70 but I don't think they will work on 71-73??

I was on the lookout for cowl "hat" patch panels also. Does anyone know how close the earlier 67-70 panels would be?

On a different note, has anyone done a Vintage Air conversion? I had heard that the new A/C setups don't require outside vent air. If that's the case, then maybe I can just weld in metal and not worry about the hole? I suppose I need to ask Vintage don't I?

Help!!

Thanks in Advance.
Darren,

They are spot welded on...you need whats called a spot weld driller

http://www.amazon.com/Blair-Equipment-Company-Spotweld-Cutter/dp/B000GTOOC0

Locate the spot welds by running a piece of 80 grit sandpaper over the area where you think they are most of the time you can feel it with your fingers (indent) Use a punch or nail to mark the center...Then use the spot weld cutter in your drill on SLOW to drill through THE TOP LAYER of metal only. You can then use a flat chisel to seperate the 2 pieces..Heres a pic of the piece notice where the holes are, those are the spot welds.

Scott
That is great! I assume there are a few on the other side also. That is a big help. I just checked and the welds appear to be identical. Thanks for the help. This is exactly what I needed to see. Sometimes I feel I ask too many silly questions but I don't want to make a mess of the car by doing something wrong or assume how something is done. I keep telling myself I'm going to get through this and make the repair. Sometimes it can be overwhelming.

While I got you on the hook...any advice about removing the windshield? I have no idea where to start.

Thanks again Scott!

I was on the lookout for cowl "hat" patch panels also. Does anyone know how close the earlier 67-70 panels would be?

On a different note, has anyone done a Vintage Air conversion? I had heard that the new A/C setups don't require outside vent air. If that's the case, then maybe I can just weld in metal and not worry about the hole? I suppose I need to ask Vintage don't I?
I have one of the panels for the 67-70 model. The hat is the same but I bought a Complete cowl from Ohio Mustang and never used the panel. Would make someone a good deal on it.

new cowl.JPG

That is great! I assume there are a few on the other side also. That is a big help. I just checked and the welds appear to be identical. Thanks for the help. This is exactly what I needed to see. Sometimes I feel I ask too many silly questions but I don't want to make a mess of the car by doing something wrong or assume how something is done. I keep telling myself I'm going to get through this and make the repair. Sometimes it can be overwhelming.

While I got you on the hook...any advice about removing the windshield? I have no idea where to start.

Thanks again Scott!

Your welcome Darren,

to remove the windsheild you need to remove the chrome trim first..It's held on with clips that are attached to the windsheild channel you need this tool

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/LRS-TX39/79-93-Mustang-Window-Reveal-Molding-Removal-Tool

Heres the basic process

http://www.buickperformance.com/glassremove.htm

The only thing different I do is to use a piece of thin braided wire or you can use a piece of music wire...instead of the cutting tool ( I do have one but my old school method seems to work better) You poke the wire through the joint where the windsheild meets the frame..then tie both ends to a handle (pieces of broomstick screwdrivers etc) you need 2 people one person inside the car & the other outside the car...you then procede to saw the seal around the glass with the wire. make sure to remove the lower windsheild rest or stops mounted to the cowl & also remove the plastic trim cap at the bottom of the windsheild (if your car still has it)

Scott

I have one of the panels for the 67-70 model. The hat is the same but I bought a Complete cowl from Ohio Mustang and never used the panel. Would make someone a good deal on it.
Hmmm, I don't mean to hijack Darren 72's thread, but you're saying the hat assemblies are the same (or close) to the 71-73? And, OMS has a complete cowl assembly? If I decide to just replace the right side, I'll let you know.

My damage is definitely worse on the passenger/AC side. I want to take the complete upper cowl off to do rust preventer and fix holes.

I'll try and get some pictures of mine, and do some research. Maybe Qcode can weigh in. It seems from his videos, he made a cut in the upper panel and pulled it out of the way to get to the hat area?

Hope you fellas don't mind all the questions from someone who's not actively working the car! All things in due time!

Hmmm, I don't mean to hijack Darren 72's thread, but you're saying the hat assemblies are the same (or close) to the 71-73? And, OMS has a complete cowl assembly? If I decide to just replace the right side, I'll let you know.

My damage is definitely worse on the passenger/AC side. I want to take the complete upper cowl off to do rust preventer and fix holes.

I'll try and get some pictures of mine, and do some research. Maybe Qcode can weigh in. It seems from his videos, he made a cut in the upper panel and pulled it out of the way to get to the hat area?

Hope you fellas don't mind all the questions from someone who's not actively working the car! All things in due time!
NO they are not the same. what is the same is the circular part. Which to me would be the hardest part to make. The rest is just forming sheet metal. Sorry for the confusion.

The one I bought from Don was used but in good shape and I just got the passengers side. My drivers side was good.

Thanks again Scott!

Your welcome Darren,

to remove the windsheild you need to remove the chrome trim first..It's held on with clips that are attached to the windsheild channel you need this tool

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/LRS-TX39/79-93-Mustang-Window-Reveal-Molding-Removal-Tool

Heres the basic process

http://www.buickperformance.com/glassremove.htm

The only thing different I do is to use a piece of thin braided wire or you can use a piece of music wire...instead of the cutting tool ( I do have one but my old school method seems to work better) You poke the wire through the joint where the windsheild meets the frame..then tie both ends to a handle (pieces of broomstick screwdrivers etc) you need 2 people one person inside the car & the other outside the car...you then procede to saw the seal around the glass with the wire. make sure to remove the lower windsheild rest or stops mounted to the cowl & also remove the plastic trim cap at the bottom of the windsheild (if your car still has it)

Scott
Then if your luck is like mine about 3/4 the way around, KICK,CUSS, and CRACK, then order a new one:mad::p

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back