Definition of ...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! That's a lot of very useful info and opinions, thanks everybody! I wasn't aware there were so many classes, I'll have to study those. At this point I'm not sure what to do. Money is a big part of the equation so I have to figure out how to get the most out of my bucks. I guess I can start with some basic VIN checks as I really don't want to buy another engine.

Thanks again for all your info and opinions, much appreciated!

Vincent.

Those different classes got me scratching my head. Surely there should be consistency in the way 71-73 are judged. Some classes the 71-73 are judged by these years in a stand alone and other classes 71-73 are lumped in a 1964 1/2-1973 group. Wheres the logic
Pegleg,

I think the difference (logic) is between the concourse classes where the cars are judged on "authenticity" vs modified. Modified is where the years are lumped together, maybe because of fewer numbers of cars in those classes.

I have a '71 Mach 1, and people will ask me if it's modified. I have to catch myself, in that, I've heard me tell them it's as original.......when actually I really mean to say it's "stock".  Original? No.  Well, for starters, I've had it re-painted twice, albeit it's the original color that it came wearing from the factory, but re-painted. I've owned it for so many years, by now, I've replaced most all of the suspension, re-built the rear end, re-built the engine, the trans, put three interior kits in it, and so on, and so on. There's no aftermarket guages, engine components, stereo, or custom wheels. In the course of usual maintenance, I've used restorer replacement parts that anyone could buy to fix their car. But, as far as it being like it was when new, yes it is.  Still, it would likely not place in a show, but who cares?

Up to this point, there has been a good discussion on members understanding / view points on the MCA Concours class.  However keep in mind that there is actually an addition class to consider, i.e. Thoroughbred class.  This is a very tough class.  MCA definition as such:

"The Thoroughbred Class is designated for the restored or unrestored cars that are restored or original with the correct era parts, for example, fan belts, battery, exhaust systems, etc. Absolutely no reproduction parts, approved or unapproved, are allowed. This class is designed for the true purist who wants nothing but those hard-to-find original parts."

As far as 71 - 73 cars being placed in with other years.  Yes and no.  The cars entered in the 71 - 73 concours class are never combined with other years as the items listed on the judging 71 - 73 sheet is very specific for these years.  The modified class has a completely different set of judging sheets, more generic if you will, if I will inject my 2 cents, this class is more on fit, finish and workmanship, therefore it is possible to place multi years together.  

The 71 - 73 cars are few in number at most MCA shows.  I personally have had at times only one car in the concours class to judge.  

Mac

MCA 71 -73 Gold Card Judge

I have a concours driven car. I finished it over 8 years ago and it has less than a thousands miles on it since completion. If you want to drive the car I'd suggest skipping the concours route. I've built several cars over the years and this one is my first and last concours effort. I spent way too much time researching fasteners, finishes, date stamps, and other small details to be fun. The car did receive gold and I was happy about that. When I do drive it, I enjoy it as it has a lot of get up and go (judges can't see what is inside the engine). Decide how you want to use the car, your skill level, your budget, and let that guide your restoration plans would be my advice. Chuck

Back