door speaker replacement

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks all! Great info. It appears the mounting hole spacing is the primary factor and those Alpine 5x7 look to have fit without modification. I've been searching all over for any kind of standard for mounting holes and not only not finding one, but it seems various audio and car manufacturers both just measured and named them their own way :(

Even with a known hole spacing, none of the speakers online seem to provide the spacing to verify a match either!! I guess on a nice day I'll just pop the door panel, make a template of the holes and carry it into a Best Buy to see what may fit.

Thanks all!  Great info.  It appears the mounting hole spacing is the primary factor and those Alpine 5x7 look to have fit without modification.  I've been searching all over for any kind of standard for mounting holes and not only not finding one, but it seems various audio and car manufacturers both just measured and named them their own way :(

Even with a known hole spacing, none of the speakers online seem to provide the spacing to verify a match either!!  I guess on a nice day I'll just pop the door panel, make a template of the holes and carry it into a Best Buy to see what may fit.
In one of the early posts I scanned the Factory template for the opening and the mounting holes. That should give you something to go on. You can also send old speakers out and have new cones put in. With what little time I had my car on road I blew up two sets of new Ford speakers and never had anything but the factory AM / 8 Track player. The cones would come loose. If you have an amp or something and turn it up will blow the speakers for sure.

If anyone finds speakers that fit in the door that fit please post it. I am still looking to replace my door speakers. A few years ago I had planed on buying them from CJs put passed when I heard they where junk.

John J

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all! Great info. It appears the mounting hole spacing is the primary factor and those Alpine 5x7 look to have fit without modification. I've been searching all over for any kind of standard for mounting holes and not only not finding one, but it seems various audio and car manufacturers both just measured and named them their own way :(

Even with a known hole spacing, none of the speakers online seem to provide the spacing to verify a match either!! I guess on a nice day I'll just pop the door panel, make a template of the holes and carry it into a Best Buy to see what may fit.
The Alpines have pretty much the same cutout dimensions as the Kickers, except that the Kickers have a bigger cone (hence better bass). The way i installed the Kickers i mounted them flush against the speaker depression which needed a bigger hole than factory. Looking at the pictures of the installed Alpines (from 73pony) you can see they are installed flush against the door sheetmetal (not on the speaker depression). That said, they will protrude out about 3/16", which in theory will interfere with the door panel. Also, there would be a gap between the flange of the speaker and the depression, which you will need to seal to not lose bass sound. Sorry, not easy to explain so i hope it makes sense.I am not saying that one option is better than the other, but i am just trying to explain the compromises with each installation method.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
I got some JBL 4x6 speakers and fabricated a sheet metal surround to fit the factory drill pattern. 

Today I fabricated a Y harness to go from stereo head to door plugs at the A pillar.

Thanks all!  Great info.  It appears the mounting hole spacing is the primary factor and those Alpine 5x7 look to have fit without modification.  I've been searching all over for any kind of standard for mounting holes and not only not finding one, but it seems various audio and car manufacturers both just measured and named them their own way :(

Even with a known hole spacing, none of the speakers online seem to provide the spacing to verify a match either!!  I guess on a nice day I'll just pop the door panel, make a template of the holes and carry it into a Best Buy to see what may fit.
The Alpines have pretty much the same cutout dimensions as the Kickers, except that the Kickers have a bigger cone (hence better bass). The way i installed the Kickers i mounted them flush against the speaker depression which needed a bigger hole than factory. Looking at the pictures of the installed Alpines (from 73pony) you can see they are installed flush against the door sheetmetal (not on the speaker depression). That said, they will protrude out about 3/16", which in theory will interfere with the door panel. Also, there would be a gap between the flange of the speaker and the depression, which you will need to seal to not lose bass sound. Sorry, not easy to explain so i hope it makes sense.

I am not saying that one option is better than the other, but i am just trying to explain the compromises with each installation method.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Here is a pic of the Kickers 46CSC684 installed. The speaker is flush with the depression on the door. I had to cut a little more above the derpression to fit the speaker.

Back