Engine bay ORIGINAL LIGHT

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang sportsroof
1970 Mustang Hardtop
1972 Mercedes Benz 350 SLC European Version
1950 Ford Custom coupé
Well.. here i am again sharing this new find! :p Yesterday night i was looking for some other stuff and I found a small part all rusted that seems to be original to some of the mustangs...

As some of you know... I bought my 72 fully dissambled and in several boxes so.. very so often i find something that belongs to him :)

Well... i sandblasted the little part and YES! it is dated as D2 so it belongs to the fastback!...

Now... again with no pics for now... how do i connect it?? how does it turns on and off???... I can figure where on the hood goes but have no idea how do i need to connect it to make it functional...

Of course, the wire was cutted out... The last owner was not so good with originality and now I have the mutilated wire and cant find where to put it back together... Also, have NO CLUE how is it supposed to switch on and off... so...

HELP!! :p

Thats a nice find. In the light housing is a mercuric switch. (think its mercury). When you open your hood and the light comes upright, the circute will be close and the light goes on. You only have to conect a + wire (with a circut braker for securety) to the switch and mount it on the hood. On my car theres a conection near the firewall passanger side.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats a nice find. In the light housing is a mercuric switch. (think its mercury). When you open your hood and the light comes upright, the circute will be close and the light goes on. You only have to conect a + wire (with a circut braker for securety) to the switch and mount it on the hood. On my car theres a conection near the firewall passanger side.
Is the wire blue or acua green or somehing like that?? cause I found a blue wire cutter that has a circuit braker still on.. a 0.5A one if i recall..

Did not see the switch anywhere though

Well.. here i am again sharing this new find! :p Yesterday night i was looking for some other stuff and I found a small part all rusted that seems to be original to some of the mustangs...

As some of you know... I bought my 72 fully dissambled and in several boxes so.. very so often i find something that belongs to him :)

Well... i sandblasted the little part and YES! it is dated as D2 so it belongs to the fastback!...

Now... again with no pics for now... how do i connect it?? how does it turns on and off???... I can figure where on the hood goes but have no idea how do i need to connect it to make it functional...

Of course, the wire was cutted out... The last owner was not so good with originality and now I have the mutilated wire and cant find where to put it back together... Also, have NO CLUE how is it supposed to switch on and off... so...

Hi,

refer to:

http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/mustang_exterior.htm

and search for underhood lamp.

The cable connects to the 12 V plus pole of the starter solenoid (unswitched)

Regards, Manfred

Hi,

refer to:

http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/mustang_exterior.htm

and search for underhood lamp.

The cable connects to the 12 V plus pole of the starter solenoid (unswitched)

Regards, Manfred
Just EXCELENT Manfred... it is exactely as the assambly i found :p

Now i know how to set it up... just need to find the way to make it work as close to originality as I can..,.

Thanks my friend!

It is!! actually i always find some parts #"missing"...

Between the way i bought the car.. totally dissabled and the few things i know.. i always have things that i missed in the first place :p

Well.. im gonna try to set it up and then i´ll show you guys how did it come out ;)

Back