Engine partial VIN

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 H Code Convertible
Hi all. As part of the registration process in australia, one has to identify the engine number and document it on the registration paperwork.

I have a couple pics of the partial VIN on mine and I'm wondering if any of you can guess what it reads as my engineer and the safety inspection place have a difference of opinion.

I know what the last few numbers are as they do match my VIN but it would be good if you guys could come up with what you think it reads, I have my opinion;) As a hint, the car's door tag shows MFG date of January 1973.

Greg

73 Mustang Engine Number.jpg

73 Mustang Engine Number2.jpg

Greg, to amplify what Don said above, the complete VIN would be 3F03H170625 with the following explanation:

3 = 1973

F = Dearborn Assembly Plant

03 = Convertible

H = 351 2V

170625 = Serial Number

Hope this helps.

BT

Thanks guys:)

PS, it's a 4 not a 6

VIN is 3F03H170425

When you look at that number straight on when it's on the lift instead of in the mirror like that it's much more clear that it's a 4. The leading two characters are of course the ones that no one is agreeing on as they know nothing about Mustangs here, and they are just about worn off:)

Greg

Greg, to amplify what Don said above, the complete VIN would be 3F03H170625 with the following explanation:

3 = 1973

03 = Convertible

H = 351 2V

170625 = Serial Number

Hope this helps.

BT
BT, how'd you know it was a 03 H?

Thanks for that link Don. I have also heard people say that the first two characters are the year and month of the engine build, with the month represented by a letter.

Greg
Greg

3 = year

F= dearborn plant

other 6 are the last 6 of your VIN

3 = 1973

03 = Convertible

H = 351 2V

170625 = Serial Number

Hope this helps.

BT
Greg previously stated it was a Convertible and that it had a 351 2V.

BT

3 = 1973

03 = Convertible

H = 351 2V

170625 = Serial Number

Hope this helps.

BT
Greg previously stated it was a Convertible and that it had a 351 2V.

BT
Ahh, I thought you had a super secret decoder ring that I didn't know about. I must have missed that post. I've been traveling waaaaaay too much with work lately.

Back