Engine trans plan advice

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mach73

Reaction score
My Car
'73 Mach 1
So i want to keep my original motor and trans in good shape and am looking to replace it and set it aside so that i can build another engine to cruise with. This is a daily driver, I'm just trying to get a little more HP than stock while keeping drivability. I came across a deal on crags list and was wondering if this is a good deal:

'85 302 80k-running, e303 cam, gt40 heads, edelbrock intake (don't know which one will find out), 4bbl carb needs rebuilding (dk brand/cfm probably 600), AOD w/ 2 torque converters... all for 1500. Guy says its about 3k in parts but he needs a little help right now.

planning on P/P myself with some help from a friend also what kind of hp (ballpark) will i be able to get with this?

My guess is about 290 flywheel HP with the parts described. After that it is a question of money. Chuck

ty for the quick response brother. that aughta be good enough for me for some time. Do you think its worth the money for all that? all is used minus the cam which id havta put in, but i also gotta rip the stock heads off also so no biggie.

ty for the quick response brother. that aughta be good enough for me for some time. Do you think its worth the money for all that? all is used minus the cam which id havta put in, but i also gotta rip the stock heads off also so no biggie.
Every thing depends on the condition of the engine and trans. Buying a pig in a poke is always risky. You may just be getting "rebuildable cores". So the cam is new and so are the iron GT-40 heads? What convertors do you get, new, used, stall speed etc.? Chuck

ty again for the good info, i don't know much about trans so ty for the thoughts... it would appear i have more research and questions to ask

Value wise, I say no. Sounds pricey.

If the bottom end were fresh... as in really fresh, then... maybe.

If bottom end is from a stock Mustang HO, it will have forged pistons.

If from anything else (Crown Vic, truck, van, etc.) it will have dished cast pistons (reduced compression ratio) and would have came stock with a flat tappet cam. Nothing wrong with them, just not as desirable.

Gotta make sure it's not an '86 HO. It has flattop pistons that do not accept nonstock cams very well (valve clearance issues).

For reference, I have a spare, mint, stock '92-96 F150 5.0, 63K, that i would be hard pressed to get $500 for.

I routinely see HO long blocks advertised locally for $300-500.

Short blocks for $150-300. (Kinda not worth my time to re-piston my F150 engine for NOS use at that price).

Cams - $100 all day long.

Intake - $50-100.

GT40 takeoffs $100-200. (I bought my mint GT40 alloy heads for $500).

E7 heads almost free.

AOD's - $75-150. Conditions is always questionable on these.

Used converters - $100.

And these are asking prices.

A lot has to do with what exactly you are after.

Just my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back