Exhaust sqeaking noise

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad_P

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang fastback
I have a noise that sounds like its coming from the rear of my car. The noise only happens under initial acceleration, it is a high pitched rattle noise. It kinda sounds like nails on a chalk board so im assuming it is metal on metal. Could it possibly be there the u bolt on the hanger touches the pipe?

Bad universal joint on the driveshaft.

Check both of them; replace if either has any play, tight spots or dry/rusted needles.

Don't drive it if either one is bad. The squeak is your only warning before disaster strikes...

Last edited by a moderator:
Changed the U joints, still got a squeak. Changed the hangers, still got a squeak. Up next is the rear exhaust mounts, the rubber is pretty bad and i hope this will fix it.

Muffler bearings going bad? :huh:

I am SO sorry for that. :shy:

I have had a noise coming from an incorrectly installed tail pipe. Once it was rubbing the axle, another time

I have had the pipes rub on the springs. For testing I could bounce up/down the rear of the car. putting a few people in the car and checking the underside clearances could be helpful.

Can you jack up the rear end, put the axle on some jack stands and inspect while the car is in Drive and accelerating? That would help rule-out driveline bearings going bad.

I had a '78 K5 Blazer roach the spiders in the 12-bolt rear axle going up the on-ramp with a loud "Bang!" When I decelerated at the next off-ramp, I heard a similar noise you speak of, that went away by putting the car in Neutral, then back into Drive when I needed to take off again. I also had a rear wheel bearing going bad on my '95 Honda, which would make a high pitched noise running up to speed, then back down as well.

Putting the rear end up like that for a visual inspection is your best bet. Good luck and hope this helps.

Yes, need to determine if the noise is suspension/other mechanical, OR coming out of the tailpipe itself.

A bad exhaust valve (when burned at the valve seat) will chirp like a cricket out of the pipes, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back