Factory Tach and Pertronix II.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1, M code, 4 speed.
I know this has been talked about a million times and there is so much under "search" to go through. I am sure someone posted on how to get a Pertronix II to work with a factory tach. There is an adaptor used on MSD distributors, but is there another way to get it to work. I have it in mind that someone did post on this and if so, can they repost it or PM me. I have a friend in need of replacing the points and want to run a PII. He is not wanting to send the tach out to be changed to negative.
Help appreciated.

No changes in the wiring are required. The PII works with and without the resistor. Leave the wire from the ignition switch (red with light green stripe) connected to the coil positive terminal. Connect the PII red wire to the positive terminal on the coil and the black wire to the negative terminal. The current sensing tachometer works the same as with a point ignition. Something like the MSD adapter is just needed when the wire from the ignition switch (and running through the tachometer) is not connected directly to the coil.

No changes in the wiring are required. The PII works with and without the resistor. Leave the wire from the ignition switch (red with light green stripe) connected to the coil positive terminal. Connect the PII red wire to the positive terminal on the coil and the black wire to the negative terminal. The current sensing tachometer works the same as with a point ignition. Something like the MSD adapter is just needed when the wire from the ignition switch (and running through the tachometer) is not connected directly to the coil.
Thank you Don, I'll pass that on to my friend.
I knew in the back of my mind that there was a way to use a PII with the factory tach.

Wasnt there some issue with connecting the PII directly to the coil? Something about using the lower voltage that exists there. I recall reading conversations where people were saying to use a +12v connection to the PII. Or am I recalling this wrong and if so, please clarify.

Wasnt there some issue with connecting the PII directly to the coil? Something about using the lower voltage that exists there. I recall reading conversations where people were saying to use a +12v connection to the PII. Or am I recalling this wrong and if so, please clarify.
From what I remember, the PII can run on reduced voltage, but 12V is recommended.
A relay could be used to supply the 12V, but I'm not sure if this would work with the factory tach, which is the question.

The Pertronix I or II can run on the resistor wire, but it can interfere with the proper tach reading. Best practice is to power the module by itself. You can use the Red w/Yellow hash wire originally for the anti-dieseling solenoid to power the Pertronix. That'll deliver a full 12V in Start and Run.

The Pertronix I or II can run on the resistor wire, but it can interfere with the proper tach reading. Best practice is to power the module by itself. You can use the Red w/Yellow hash wire originally for the anti-dieseling solenoid to power the Pertronix. That'll deliver a full 12V in Start and Run.
Thank you Hemi, I'll pass that on to my friend.

I watched a video by Jeff from RestoMod on Youtube. His fix worked for mine, by buying a trailer wire extension and wiring it in line with the tach and splicing a wire from that harness to the coil. Worked perfect.

I know this has been talked about a million times and there is so much under "search" to go through. I am sure someone posted on how to get a Pertronix II to work with a factory tach. There is an adaptor used on MSD distributors, but is there another way to get it to work. I have it in mind that someone did post on this and if so, can they repost it or PM me. I have a friend in need of replacing the points and want to run a PII. He is not wanting to send the tach out to be changed to negative.
Help appreciated.
no changes needed for pertronix or petronix 2 or any other single fire electronic ignition , now multi spark ignitions are a different story

I may have mislead you. I did not mention this is on a 71. I looked at the wiring color diagram for this with tach and the only red with yellow hash powers the dual brake warning light #640. I do not see any reference to the anti-dieseling solenoid.
Were you referencing a later year?
As said, I'm trying to help a friend out so I can't look at my car for reference as it's a non tach car.
All help is much appreciated, thanks.

71 doesn't have that wire...
This is on my car, not my friends. I have a white plug that is in use apparently. There is also a green plug not in use and a black one also not in use. I've not checked (yet) to see if these are 12V in RUN, but if one is, could that be used to power the PII? (Assuming my friends car is the same).
Sorry but I'm getting lost now and don't know what to advise.

EDIT: I took a look at my car, white plug. It does have 12V in the run position. When I bought this car, a PO had replaced the carb with a Holley 670. This has an electric choke and to be honest, I never bothered to find out where he powered it from. Well now I do. He used the white plug that has a red and something, could be yellow, wire. It has to be the 640 wire.
So with that figured out, I now know my friend can power the PII off that, unless of course it's in use for the solenoid as I don't know what carb he has, other than it's a 4V.

Attachments

• DSC00357.2.JPG
    DSC00357.2.JPG
    281.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
71 doesn't have that wire...

That's a pic of my '71. It's also present on our 71 XR7 and is currently powering the HEI and choke.

This is on my car, not my friends. I have a white plug that is in use apparently. There is also a green plug not in use and a black one also not in use. I've not checked (yet) to see if these are 12V in RUN, but if one is, could that be used to power the PII? (Assuming my friends car is the same).
Sorry but I'm getting lost now and don't know what to advise.

The green female plug is for the automatic transmission shifter illumination, wire will be brown. Should only be hot when the lights are on.

That's a pic of my '71. It's also present on our 71 XR7 and is currently powering the HEI and choke.

The green female plug is for the automatic transmission shifter illumination, wire will be brown. Should only be hot when the lights are on.
Thanks. Mine is manual, so likely no power. Useful to know anyway. Any idea what the black socket might be for? No power there as well.

Looking more closely at the diagrams and starting to understand them better, I see that the red/green stripe wire goes to one side of a 14A fuse, #16B or16A. The other side of that fuse is the red/yellow hash #640.
My question now is; if one powers a PII with this wire as suggested and the fuse blows, (one is stuck on the side of the road if no spare available or the driver is unaware of this fuse) is there a better option wire that is NOT fused, but still a full 12V in the RUN position?
Am I making this way too complicated?

Back