Find low side AC port cap

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJHStang

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Ford Mustang Mach 1
[url=https://ibb.co/b33Pn4f][img]https://i.ibb.co/6ZZm5Kd/20190723-095138-1.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=https://freeonlinedice.com/]black and red dice[/url]
My low side Ac port cap was missing on my Vintage Air system and that a small piece of treads was still inside and believe that was causing my AC loss of pressure. Got it removed and added 12oz of R134a. I now have cold air.
My problem is finding a new Low Side cap. I have tried 2 (1 from Auto Zone and 1 from O’riely’s and they don’t fit. I have talked to Vintage Air help and they want $12 to ship a $3 cap from San Antonio, TX to Fort Worth.
Any ideas, I am going to try Napa auto parts next.
I have attached a picture of my compressor and port locations.

Attachments

• IMG_1677.jpeg
    IMG_1677.jpeg
    946.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1686.jpeg
    IMG_1686.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
I'd go to the local pull-a-part yard and snag one if $12 is too much for you. Pull-a-part probably wont even charge you for it.

In the grand scheme of things, $12 to repair your AC is really cheap. I'd probably pony up for that and not spend the hour or two trying to find the cap somewhere else.

I'd go to the local pull-a-part yard and snag one if $12 is too much for you. Pull-a-part probably wont even charge you for it.

In the grand scheme of things, $12 to repair your AC is really cheap. I'd probably pony up for that and not spend the hour or two trying to find the cap somewhere else.
I understand what you are saying but $12 to mail a $2 to $3 part weighing maybe an oz isn’t right. You have a point, time looking does take time and never work out.

Here's every service cap in the NAPA Temp Products catalog. You can do a pickup at store order, and return the incorrect parts.

View attachment 91151
Here's every service cap in the NAPA Temp Products catalog. You can do a pickup at store order, and return the incorrect parts.

View attachment 91151
Strange they didn’t mention ordering different ones, trying and none worked bring them back.
Thanks I will look into it.
I just happened to find a black cap in my tool chest for something don’t know what for. Not for an AC service port but thought maybe it will work even though it doesn’t have treads. Tried it and it fits on snug with a little effort. Think it will work temporarily. Need to pull out my power steering dip stick a little to put it on or take it off. Pictures attached.

Attachments

• IMG_1692.jpeg
    IMG_1692.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1691.jpeg
    IMG_1691.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1694.jpeg
    IMG_1694.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Strange they didn’t mention ordering different ones, trying and none worked bring them back.
Thanks I will look into it.
I just happened to find a black cap in my tool chest for something don’t know what for. Not for an AC service port but thought maybe it will work even though it doesn’t have treads. Tried it and it fits on snug with a little effort. Think it will work temporarily. Need to pull out my power steering dip stick a little to put it on or take it off. Pictures attached.
Pictures

JJHSTANG, Although it appears not right that the shipping is $12, that's the going price. I work at The Blower Shop, and get lots of calls for small items to be shipped all across the continental U.S. Normally we ship UPS Ground which is the cheapest way, but, lots of times, the item is small enough that I'll sent the part USPS in a small Flat Rate Box, which costs US $8.51 to mail, so $12 isn't really out of line. It just seems that way but, mail order enough, taking account the distance and handling required, and that's not bad.

JJHSTANG, Although it appears not right that the shipping is $12, that's the going price. I work at The Blower Shop, and get lots of calls for small items to be shipped all across the continental U.S. Normally we ship UPS Ground which is the cheapest way, but, lots of times, the item is small enough that I'll sent the part USPS in a small Flat Rate Box, which costs US $8.51 to mail, so $12 isn't really out of line. It just seems that way but, mail order enough, taking account the distance and handling required, and that's not bad.
Ok understand.

Isn't Amazon the "Go-To" ever since all that Covid stuff, and people started to depend on getting things "online"? I admit, I do the same, I get various things through Amazon. and it's cheaper. Many manufacturers and suppliers are simply not Amazon, and it is common to use UPS, or Fed-Ex, etc. My entry was only to let the OP that the shipping price they were quoted wasn't as out of line as it may have seemed to him.

Isn't Amazon the "Go-To" ever since all that Covid stuff, and people started to depend on getting things "online"? I admit, I do the same, I get various things through Amazon. and it's cheaper. Many manufacturers and suppliers are simply not Amazon, and it is common to use UPS, or Fed-Ex, etc. My entry was only to let the OP that the shipping price they were quoted wasn't as out of line as it may have seemed to him.
I have checked out Amazon and see set of 5 to 6 of High and Low for under $7 .
Trouble is it looks like each high are the same size and each low are the same size.
I could order and if the low don’t fit easy to return.

Latest posts

Back