Fitting for Ford P/S pump to a Borgeson gear box

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csdean007

Reaction score
My Car
1972 fastback mustang. Bought as a project after going through quit a few people.
I have a 72 fastback and putting a 302 in it. The car was original 351w vin coded and has the Borgeson gear box. The 302 looks to have a later model power steering ford pump. But the high pressure hose I purchased looks to need a fitting to connect the hose to the pump. I have seen fittings to convert to mopar pump or Saginaw.... but nothing for a borgeson to a motorcraft ford pump. Anyone have an idea?

I have a 72 fastback and putting a 302 in it. The car was original 351w vin coded and has the Borgeson gear box. The 302 looks to have a later model power steering ford pump. But the high pressure hose I purchased looks to need a fitting to connect the hose to the pump. I have seen fittings to convert to mopar pump or Saginaw.... but nothing for a borgeson to a motorcraft ford pump. Anyone have an idea?
351W's were not is US made 71-73's. (could it have been a Mexican built car?)
It sounds to my basic knowledge that someone has done a swap of engine and PS box.
As far as I know, only the Saginaw PS box with the Ford Thompson pump were used in those years. I suppose it might be possible substitute parts were put in, but not a 351W.
Can you show the vIn code?
For my money, I'd buy a reman or new Saginaw 800 PS box and if needs be an Ford Thompson pump just to make it easier and even look right.
That's just my thoughts on it.

351W's were not is US made 71-73's. (could it have been a Mexican built car?)
It sounds to my basic knowledge that someone has done a swap of engine and PS box.
As far as I know, only the Saginaw PS box with the Ford Thompson pump were used in those years. I suppose it might be possible substitute parts were put in, but not a 351W.
Can you show the vIn code?
For my money, I'd buy a reman or new Saginaw 800 PS box and if needs be an Ford Thompson pump just to make it easier and even look right.
That's just my thoughts on it.
I have the Marti report for the car and it's American made. Vin code shows build sheet was a 351w out of 16,000ish made. It is a one of one but only because the build and order sheet included bumperettes. I bought this car 8 months ago and it was a previous project for 2 other people. The motor that came with But the condition of the gear when I pulled her out seems to have to be original. the car is a built 302 with GT40 heads. I have a pic of the only serial I can find on the block.

Attachments

• block stamp.jpg
    block stamp.jpg
    619.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2775.jpg
    IMG_2775.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2801.jpg
    IMG_2801.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • Power sterring.jpg
    Power sterring.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Is it a late model 5.0 engine? Like out of a fox body?
Possible.... the confusing thing to me is that the Clock stamp on the block says its a 1968 motot. But the other code seems to say its a late model....if I am decoding it correctly.

Attachments

• block stamp.jpg
    block stamp.jpg
    619.8 KB · Views: 0
The box you show in pic 2801 is a Saginaw 800.
Can you post a pic of the Marti? I've personally never heard of a US made Mustang with a Windsor 351 motor, but I believe Mexican made cars could have. I'm far from the expert on this, so anything is possible.
As my signature says "I learn something new every day"

Since you have the original hoses from the steering box, the simplest option might be to take the pump and the old hose to a hose supplier {in my area of Michigan the Parker stores are a good option) and have a custom hose made with the late model PS pump fitting instead of the Thompson pump fitting.

The reason I asked about the “302” engine is that I did an 87 5.0 swap into my 73, and had to have a custom high pressure hose made to connect the stock PS pump that came on the 87 to the stock PS gear box that came with the 73. The 87 pump uses a special o ring style hose connect; nothing like the pumps from the 1970’s on the stock Mustangs.

If you need more info, PM me and I’ll get it to you.

Since you have the original hoses from the steering box, the simplest option might be to take the pump and the old hose to a hose supplier {in my area of Michigan the Parker stores are a good option) and have a custom hose made with the late model PS pump fitting instead of the Thompson pump fitting.
Unfortunately I don't have the original hoses. Just a short section leading to the steering gear.

I have had luck in the past going to a hydraulic hose shop with the two parts I am trying to mate. In most instances they have remade the hose for me with the correct connection, another time they had an adapter that made the hose fit the gear. Just an idea you could try.

What I originally did was I purchased a hose that worked with the newer model pump, and went to a hose shop to have them make the other end, to connect that to the stock 73 steering box. In the end, the shop made a completely new hose, both ends, exact length, and I returned the hose I bought. The manufactured hose turned out to be cheaper than the hose I bought. And, it will likely last much longer because it was built with components that greatly exceeded the pressure requirements.

I don’t know for a fact but that pump likely has a newer metric o-ring fitting. Post some better pics of the output port on the pump itself.

Do you have a thread pitch gauge for metric? A caliper so you can measure the ID on the pump? Post up what the thread pitch is and the ID of the port on the pump. Harbor freight has inexpensive digital caliper that are okay but not great (in my experience they eat batteries).

The fittings on the steering box itself are 5/8 and 11/16” inverted flare. Summit or Jegs has tons of inverted flare to AN adaptors. They also have tons of other AN adaptor fittings once you figure out the type of port on the pump.

Once you get the adaptors than any hose shop can make you up a -6 hose, or you can buy hose / fittings and make your own from Summit / Jegs / whoever.

Here are a set of the 5/8 and 11/16” adaptors for the steering box.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g3170

Thread pitch gauge (SAE/metric combo). You can likely take this part number and get it at a local auto parts store.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wmr-w8655

71-73 Mustangs were never built with a 351W. If your Marti says it was, then the report has a typo.

As Stanglover noted, that's a factory 71-73 Saginaw steering box, not a Borgeson unit. The first pic of the box where it's greasy and dirty, it shows an ID tag in place, what's the code stamped into that? It should be SPA-xx

The inlet is 11/16 female inverted flare
The outlet is 5/8 female inverted flare

My recommendation is to purchase the 71 pressure and return hoses. Use those to determine your routing and mark the pressure hose where it will meet the modern pump. Bring the pump and the hose to a hydraulic shop and have them crimp a matching fitting onto the 71 hose. Around here, many NAPA stores make hydraulic hoses. The 71 return hose is cut to fit and will most likely slip right over the return nipple on the pump reservoir.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...92,steering,power+steering+pressure+hose,7320

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...2692,steering,power+steering+return+hose,7324

F1SE casting number is a 1991 and later 302 / 5.0 block. IIRC, they were used through the end of production in 2001, and likely thereafter for service supply.

71-73 Mustangs were never built with a 351W. If your Marti says it was, then the report has a typo.

As Stanglover noted, that's a factory 71-73 Saginaw steering box, not a Borgeson unit. The first pic of the box where it's greasy and dirty, it shows an ID tag in place, what's the code stamped into that? It should be SPA-xx

The inlet is 11/16 female inverted flare
The outlet is 5/8 female inverted flare

My recommendation is to purchase the 71 pressure and return hoses. Use those to determine your routing and mark the pressure hose where it will meet the modern pump. Bring the pump and the hose to a hydraulic shop and have them crimp a matching fitting onto the 71 hose. Around here, many NAPA stores make hydraulic hoses. The 71 return hose is cut to fit and will most likely slip right over the return nipple on the pump reservoir.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...92,steering,power+steering+pressure+hose,7320

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...2692,steering,power+steering+return+hose,7324

F1SE casting number is a 1991 and later 302 / 5.0 block. IIRC, they were used through the end of production in 2001, and likely thereafter for service supply.
The Edlemann HP hose is the better one imo. You need radial crimped fittings.
Ask me how I know!!

Latest posts

Back