Freight Delivery Protocol

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1
1971 Ranchero
What is the protocol for receiving and signing for a freight delivery? I've always heard to inspect before signing, but never actually done it. If the box looked good, I sign for it. I've called the selling company a couple of times asking them to explain their policy and didn't get, what I consider, a solid answer.

Do you unpack the item and make them wait?

I'm receiving a hood and have read the stories about shipping damage.

Interested in hearing from folks that have actually done this.

I've received plenty of shipments over the years, but most were palletized. With the hood, I'd inspect the box for obvious signs of damage, and then open the box and inspect the hood itself. If the box is damaged, I'd take pics before opening it, and then of any damage to the hood itself with the driver present. You should note any damage on the bill of lading, making sure it's on both yours and the driver's copy.

Good news, the hood was delivered. It was on a pallet, resting on the edge of the box and not a very sturdy attachment or packing. It had 3 dense foam blocks and another at the rear corner on each edge and a box shrinkwrapped on the upper end. The pallet was longer than the hood, so that probably helped keep other items away. When asked about inspecting for damage, the driver volunteered that we'd just unpack it and check it out. We unpacked and set it on a folding stand and looked at both sides....there was one slightly rolled over edge on the front corner that will take very little effort to straighten...it's under the trim, anyway.

So, overall, a good experience and a really friendly/cooperative driver.

I've never had a driver stick around long enough to unbox and inspect anything. They want to force you to sign the paperwork so they can get back on the road.

I cant really say I blame them. Some of my stuff takes an hour to get uncrated. If there's no visible damage, I sign the thing and let the driver get back to work. Then depending on how I'm feeling, i may take pictures or video unboxing the thing to cover my butt.

So far, I've not had an trouble reporting damaged packages and getting stuff replaced this way.

If you read the fine-print on any Bill of Lading, underneath the line where you're signing, you will discover that you are basically signing your life away... i.e. you are stating that you received the goods in acceptable condition, and you are absolving the trucking company of any further responsibility. You're on your own once you sign.

So.... Do all you reasonably can to never sign without inspecting the products themselves. I've seen plenty of horrendous damage inflicted to panels in cases where the outer box still looks perfect. We (NPD) always carefully inspect the panels in our shipping department before we pack and ship. We do it for your best interests (to avoid shipping you anything that was damaged from the factory), and we do it to protect ourselves as well. Because you cannot imagine how many people just look at the box, say "seems fine to me", sign for the shipment without reading what they're signing, and then once the driver is gone they open the box to discover hidden damage.

The truck driver cannot leave unless you sign, and he cannot "force" you to sign before you've inspected.

And yes, I get it, if you're talking about a substantial crate or something that takes considerable time to unpack, it's natural that some drivers (especially if they've got a packed day of deliveries) will have ants in their pants.

You've just gotta realize that once you sign, you've pretty much signed away any possibility of going after the trucking company, and it's just between you and the supplier. And the supplier will not be "pleased" that you signed without inspecting, because your failure to take the time to inspect now becomes their problem. A problem that should have been avoidable.

Below is a photo of the bright day-glo label we apply to every truck-freight order, and then I backed up to show all of the various labels, warnings and threats that we apply to every truck-freight box LOL... If we could, we'd ship an elf with ever shipment to make sure every handler along the way took heed of our instructions and handled the box correctly! ;) image000001.jpgimage000000.jpg

Excellent information, thank you! Let's say your item is damaged and it's beyond what you can deal with. Do you note the damage on Bill of Landing, get the driver to initial, take pictures, and then sign or do you do all the above and refuse to sign, returning the item?

Excellent information, thank you! Let's say your item is damaged and it's beyond what you can deal with. Do you note the damage on Bill of Landing, get the driver to initial, take pictures, and then sign or do you do all the above and refuse to sign, returning the item?

If the shipment contains just one item, and it's damaged beyond what you'd feel is reasonable and prudent to just "deal with", note the damage on the B/L and refuse the shipment.

If the shipment contains multiple items, and some items are fine, but others damaged, some drivers will allow you to note the damage to the specific items damage, refuse those specific items, but then sign to accept the rest of the good stuff. As long as you make good notes (part #'s quick description and damage), you're good, and we can replace the damaged stuff while you're already installing the good stuff. But it's "some drivers". If the driver is not willing to make a partial-refusal, then you simply note the damage, and refuse the entire shipment.

And when we have customers who... for various circumstances... sign for and accept the shipment without noting damage (sometimes the driver guilts them into signing because they're in a rush, sometimes it's the WIFE that signs for the shipment, etc...), give us a call and we'll see what we can do to mitigate your issue on a case-by-case basis. Usually if it's repairable, but requires a bit of labor, we'll toss you a hundred bucks or-so to cover it and move on.

We have always tried to apply "good faith discretion" with all customers who likewise treat us with good faith and honesty. It's the ones who call up, after having failed to inspect on their end, and start screaming and making demands and threats and promising to charge-back their credit card and trash us in reviews.. Those are the ones who are difficult to deal with in good faith and with reasonable discretion. ;)

This is excellent information. I really appreciate you taking the time to provide such details. I feel much better prepared for the next time I receive a freight order.

Bought a hood and while at work they delivered. My brother unpacked it for me and looked at all corners and the top. Did not flip it around in the sunlight and missed a nice dent right on the NASA ridge. To late now so make sure you either look in the bright sunlight at many angles or use a flashlight to look at it at angles. BTW - We looked at the box and there was no damage where the dent was so dont go by that. Good Luck.

If you read the fine-print on any Bill of Lading, underneath the line where you're signing, you will discover that you are basically signing your life away... i.e. you are stating that you received the goods in acceptable condition, and you are absolving the trucking company of any further responsibility. You're on your own once you sign.

So.... Do all you reasonably can to never sign without inspecting the products themselves. I've seen plenty of horrendous damage inflicted to panels in cases where the outer box still looks perfect. We (NPD) always carefully inspect the panels in our shipping department before we pack and ship. We do it for your best interests (to avoid shipping you anything that was damaged from the factory), and we do it to protect ourselves as well. Because you cannot imagine how many people just look at the box, say "seems fine to me", sign for the shipment without reading what they're signing, and then once the driver is gone they open the box to discover hidden damage.

The truck driver cannot leave unless you sign, and he cannot "force" you to sign before you've inspected.

And yes, I get it, if you're talking about a substantial crate or something that takes considerable time to unpack, it's natural that some drivers (especially if they've got a packed day of deliveries) will have ants in their pants.

You've just gotta realize that once you sign, you've pretty much signed away any possibility of going after the trucking company, and it's just between you and the supplier. And the supplier will not be "pleased" that you signed without inspecting, because your failure to take the time to inspect now becomes their problem. A problem that should have been avoidable.

Below is a photo of the bright day-glo label we apply to every truck-freight order, and then I backed up to show all of the various labels, warnings and threats that we apply to every truck-freight box LOL... If we could, we'd ship an elf with ever shipment to make sure every handler along the way took heed of our instructions and handled the box correctly! ;) View attachment 82813View attachment 82814
Thanks Rick for that post

Back