Front Disc Brake Pad recommendation

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach1 351 Auto Ram-Air Blue Glow/Argent
1973 'Q' Code 351 Auto Convertible Red
Hi,

Does anybody have any recommendations for Front disc Brake Pads?

There seems to be a choice of 3 kinds of Pad material

1. Organic

2. Semi-Metallic

3. Ceramic

I'm not interested in High temp Race type pads just looking for something decent for regular street use

A few types I have come across are...

Raybestos PGD14 CQ Organic

Bendix D34 Ceramic

Hawk Performance HB646F.526 HPS Ceramic

SSBC Original Equipment Replacement Brake Pads 1046 Semi-Metallic

Thanks

Not really sure but I always went with the semi-metallic but I was told not to buy the lifetime guarantee pads. Reason being is that they last a lifetime because they are hard as rock and eat rotors??? This is what my buddy,17 years as a Ford master tech, told me. So instead of buying the gold pads I buy the silver. Anyone else ever hear this??

I went with the "gold" series, and they squeeked really bad. Swapped in Organic, and not a sound to be heard.

Last edited by a moderator:
I go with the Autozone Lifetime pads on all our vehicles. We usually keep our cars a long time. I've probably warrantied the pads on our 97 Windstar at least 4 times! :)

I've always run the Hawk Reds on the Mustangs... semi-metallic for excellent braking performance under spirited driving conditions. I've run some old Performance Suspension Technologies (PST) semi-metallics in the past and found them to be very good as well.

Back