Fuel Sending Unit Replacement DIY

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm pretty sure the last time I was under the car checking around the gas tank I saw that 3/8" gas line was used connecting to the sending unit. Yet when looking at new SS sending units, they mention a pipe size of 5/16".

The sock filter on the end of the sending unit for 71 - 73 are also 3/8".

What size is used in our cars? Are there two different sending units that can be used or did the description have wrong info?

Thanks

the stainless steel version has the tube routed correctly the steel version has the tube mounted the wrong way.

That is not true

Here is

stainless correct

steel correct

stainless not correct - well not correct for a 71-3 mustang
Why is the stainless correct one time and not the other? Does it depend on supplier its bought from? Which one does Ohio Mustang carry?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a point I'd like to add. I replaced my fuel line with a longer piece of line to work with the senders line placement on my car. My harness plug was gone before I got it so I fabricated up some ends out of some female push on electrical connectors. works fine, but not concours correct by any means

My electrical wiring after the plug is cut off.

I want to reinstall it.

Where to connect the wiring coming out of this sender unit?

Please

DSCF0982.JPG

The two pin male/female plug mates to a similar plug on the tail-light harness. Find where the grommet would go and you'll find the mating plug close by, unless it is cut off.

I can refurbish and repair your entire tail-light harness, including that section.

http://midlifeharness.com

If you want to do it yourself, simply use a two pin trailer plug. You can find them on www.delcity.net

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks!

If someone could post a picture of this wiring trail/path...

The two pin male/female plug mates to a similar plug on the tail-light harness. Find where the grommet would go and you'll find the mating plug close by, unless it is cut off.

I can refurbish and repair your entire tail-light harness, including that section.

http://midlifeharness.com

If you want to do it yourself, simply use a two pin trailer plug. You can find them on www.delcity.net
Hi, friend (midlife)

Can you do the entire wire harness of my car?

everything? I mean everything... every single wire

And send to me with instructions?

Its a 73 mach 1 luxury with a/c and eletric wnd;

351c 2v + fmx trans

how much will it cost?

Thanks

send me PM

I want to reinstall it.

Please
This picture you posted is a 71-2 sending unit wiring harness

The 73 version did not have a plug to remove it from the main tail light harness

I want to reinstall it.

Please
This picture you posted is a 71-2 sending unit wiring harness

The 73 version did not have a plug to remove it from the main tail light harness
Good catch, Don!

So, it goes directly to the dash from the tank?

TANK ____ DASH/TACH?

From fuel sending unit it goes all the way up the tail-light harness, plugs into underdash harness, goes to dash cluster connector, to dash fuel gauge, out the other end to the constant voltage regulator on the back side of the dash cluster, out the dash cluster again and to the accessory power line off of the ignition switch. The second line at the fuel sending unit is the ground line, which ties into the chassis in the trunk area.

Back