gap in the convertible top and back window

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 mustang convertible
94 mustang gt convertible
with the top up i noticed a gap between the top and the trim. there is weatherstripping on the window but i can fit a finger in the gap. Is there something missing thus the hole.Picture 003.jpgPicture 002.jpg

thanks for the replies, it seems odd that they would let the water drip into the door like this
I don´t think that little water would make a difference, as all the water that runs down the top towards the trim will eventually flow inside the car´s quarter panels. Those verts only kept the water out of the passenger cell (well most of it :dodgy:) but that does not mean the water stays out of the car.

I remember when the drain holes in the trunk had somehow clogged and there was water almost up to the trunk floor inside the pockets on both sides of the quarters. I had to drill new holes from the bottom to drain the water. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
There are little weep holes down below the base of the quarter window assembly that are supposed to drain anything out near the front of the wheel wells. 90% of the time these got clogged with debris and led to moisture / rust between the door and the wheel well.

BTW: Almost all 71 - 73 Mustangs and Cougars I've seen have had some chaffing along the edges of the convertible top in that area. Depending on how good your installer is as far as aligning the top frame will determine how much chaffing will occur.

Back