Gas Cap Emblem

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoLimitssjca

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Coupe
1972 Mustang Mach 1
Quick question for the group.

My Gas Cap Emblem is gone.

1: What are the stock emblems?

2: Can I get just the emblem? I've seen them for fendors but never for the gas cap, only complete caps.

2: Can I get just the emblem? I've seen them for fendors but never for the gas cap, only complete caps.
There is no emblem on 71-3 gas caps

Flip open cap is plain

twist on has molded in emblem

There is no emblem on 71-3 gas caps

Flip open cap is plain

twist on has molded in emblem
Isn´t it depending on the car?? My sportsroof has the same gas cap as the 1970... i think it is standard, no lock or anything and i´m pretty sure it is the original design (i´ve changed the gas cap but i still have the supposed original one with the emblem broken...)

IMG_0062.JPG

Anyway.. if this is the gas cap we are talking about, the emblem is part of the gas cap, not removable...

Hope it helps!!

Yes that is an emblem but it is encased in plastic and you really can't replace it.

While 69-70 gas vas look like 71-3 caps on the face side

they are different on the back side

Yes that is an emblem but it is encased in plastic and you really can't replace it.

While 69-70 gas vas look like 71-3 caps on the face side

they are different on the back side
hey don, i can't wait to get my gas cap with the security cable from you in a few days!!! :D:D:D:D

i'm replacing that god awful locking gas cap i currently have on there!!! :cool::cool::cool:

Last edited:
Back in the 70's these gas caps were a hot target to be stolen off your car. I recall mine being stolen at least three times so a lot of the locking caps were used by owners. I've seen some of the reproduction one's being offered with a cable to make it harder to loose.

DSCF8196.jpg

Back in the 70's these gas caps were a hot target to be stolen off your car. I recall mine being stolen at least three times so a lot of the locking caps were used by owners. I've seen some of the reproduction one's being offered with a cable to make it harder to loose.

DSCF8196.jpg
True...the gas cap that´s in my car nowadays is a repro and it has the cable... The original doesn´t have it...

I can tell you it is not comfortable to use with the cable, it is attached to one in the bolts that fixes the pipe there and it is not that easy to open and worst to close..

the biggest difference between the 70 and 71-73 caps, is the 70 is vented and the 71-73 is not because of the fuel vapor emissions system.

if your fuel vapor system is gummed up you can get away with using a 70s cap to save some money in the short term.

these came in the trunk of the car they are all cracked, i think The previous owner was one of the thieves.
DSC02241.jpg

My cap doesn't match the pictures. I'll post a pic as soon as I get a battery for my camera.

these came in the trunk of the car they are all cracked, i think The previous owner was one of the thieves.
DSC02241.jpg
jeje!!

Call CSI and tell we finally have leading clues to the gas cap criminal from the 70´s! :p

My cap doesn't match the pictures. I'll post a pic as soon as I get a battery for my camera.
Mmm... i´ve never seen another type of cap with emblem that is not what my car or the white vert has... Maybe yours is not stock...

But of course, post a pic of what you have in order to discuss it propperly

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back