Gas smell

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tnfastbk

Staff member
7173 Mustang Supporter Member
Reaction score
After two years finally took the car for a test run. I had made may changes to the car but the one I want to focus on right now is the new fuel system. First of all nothing is stock on my car, I installed an Aeromotive stealth tank with the in tank pump with evil energy -6 fittings along with their nylon braided fuel hose. The car did great, except when I pulled into the garage and shut the door the garage had a smell of gasoline. Checked every fitting with no noticeable leaks. As far as I know there is not a vent on the tank, I use a vented cap. I looked locally for a new cap but no one had one in stock. Also one other thing is I am getting a lot of fluctuation in my gas gauge when driving. The tank says its baffled so I found that surprising. Any thought??

This may or may not be relevant but, on stock configuration (carb) I had installed the big "rubber" seal for the filler neck upside down causing a fuel leak when tank was more than half full. Sorry if that is a non-helpful "hail Mary". Chuck

If you’re not using something similar to the stock vent hose to charcoal canister approach, the tank is going to vent through the cap into the closed garage space. If you are venting it in the traditional way, some part of the system is failing.

But, as I remember in days of old, even working vent system still left a bit of fuel odor.

This may or may not be relevant but, on stock configuration (carb) I had installed the big "rubber" seal for the filler neck upside down causing a fuel leak when tank was more than half full. Sorry if that is a non-helpful "hail Mary". Chuck
I think I put it back on the same way it came off but who knows. I may not have.
Does anyone have a picture of what is the correct orientation?

Gas cap shouldn’t be vented.

Top of tank vent should go to the hard line to the front. Hard line ends behind engine in the center and goes to the charcoal canister to filter the fumes/smell.

Gas cap shouldn’t be vented.

Top of tank vent should go to the hard line to the front. Hard line ends behind engine in the center and goes to the charcoal canister to filter the fumes/smell.
"After two years finally took the car for a test run. I had made may changes to the car but the one I want to focus on right now is the new fuel system. First of all nothing is stock on my car, I installed an Aeromotive stealth tank with the in tank pump with evil energy -6 fittings along with their nylon braided fuel hose."

You are correct for a stock set up.

"After two years finally took the car for a test run. I had made may changes to the car but the one I want to focus on right now is the new fuel system. First of all nothing is stock on my car, I installed an Aeromotive stealth tank with the in tank pump with evil energy -6 fittings along with their nylon braided fuel hose."

You are correct for a stock set up.
I have aeromotive stealth tank and -6AN lines up front to a termX stealth 4150 on top of a B&M supercharger.

I don’t think mine qualifies as stock either. :)

Attachments

• IMG_1603.jpeg
    IMG_1603.jpeg
    572.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2081.jpeg
    IMG_2081.jpeg
    394.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 70657623956__43F380E9-1F37-4F6A-8EDE-639F14FF4765.jpeg
    70657623956__43F380E9-1F37-4F6A-8EDE-639F14FF4765.jpeg
    320.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5507.jpeg
    IMG_5507.jpeg
    452.7 KB · Views: 1
I have aeromotive stealth tank and -6AN lines up front to a termX stealth 4150 on top of a B&M supercharger.

I don’t think mine qualifies as stock either. :)
So does that tank have the top vent as well? Maybe I missed it. I had it capped off on my stock tank and used the vented cap with no issues. The tank has been in for almost two years.
I emailed Aeromotive to see what they say.

So does that tank have the top vent as well? Maybe I missed it. I had it capped off on my stock tank and used the vented cap with no issues. The tank has been in for almost two years.
I emailed Aeromotive to see what they say.
Yes the top hat think in the center if the rank up top is the vent. It goes to a hard line that ends on the firewall behind the engine.

That goes to the charcoal canister in the passenger fender well. Stock one line would do to the air cleaner to reburn. I have a little pod filter on mine.

Vent is circled in the pic

Attachments

• IMG_2099.jpeg
    IMG_2099.jpeg
    921.4 KB · Views: 0
Here is some documentation that should help. In the section on Emission Control devices the Fuel Vapor Control section is a pages into the document. I also have some YouTube video information on the fuel evaporative system as well:

https://youtu.be/n9woMnHByts

https://youtu.be/SsbtiPWY9sU

Attachments

• 1973Mustang_VolumeVI_EmissionControlSystems_Chapter6_20230429.pdf
    5.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4489.JPG
    IMG_4489.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4490.JPG
    IMG_4490.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4491.JPG