got my 9" installed today!!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71coupe

Reaction score
My Car
1971 mustang
ok...here is the good, the bad, and the ugly

preface

got my 9"installed - all by myself! tough job I must say.

started breaking in the rear end...then...

the brakes started leaking.

o'reillys gave me wrong part

ok...so here it is. I got my newly rebuilt 9" installed

3.70, true trac, 28 spline

bought all new brake hardware and had the guy installed the brake HW for few extra...figure save me some time, right.

bought new: drums, brake shoes, spring kit, and cylinders. Mind you...I now have a 9" rear out of '72 mach 1 - so I now have to say "my car is '71 with 302, however, the rear is out of '72 mach 1 - 9". So the parts guy really need to understand what I mean here. Couple young whipper snappers have no clue what I'm saying...arrggg frustrater in kicks in - so now I ask for an "old timer" who knows old school cars. Ok, so I get an old timer who gets all my parts...great, right.???

I get the rear end installed, install all the brake lines, leaf springs, and shocks...going good. Then I start bleeding the brakes...so far so good...mind you I'm doing this myself. So, went ahead and decided to start the car....argggg the battery is dead! Ok...no worries...clean up the garage a little while I get a quick charge on. Charged up and now I start the car! Car is started...and I'm going to go ahead and put in Drive and run it for a while (up on jackstands) to break in the gears. 15 minutes later....time to turn it off and let it cool. Ok...things get interesting here: about to turn off the car, but my brakes are mushy...hmmmm..what's going on??...everything is new, I checked and double check...now how am I going to turn off the car?? ok...so I did the extreme...I jammed the gear in Park...screaaaaaach...grinding is all I hear!! ouch...very ouch!!!!!!

start checking tranny linkage, driveshaft, then I see leaking fluid from rear wheel...What?!?!?!

brake fluid leaking from where line connects to brake cylinder. Time to tear it down! I txt the rebuilder - to see what happened. As I'm inspecting the cylinder I noticed its not the same as the 8" rearend brake cylinder. Its missing a "nipple"...I come to find out there are different type so "flare"...double flare or flat flare.

see pics

oreilly parts guy gave me "front" brake cylinders. When I needed "rear". Well, they said "sorry" and gave me the right part.

All in all...a learning experience, did set me back, but should be good in a couple of weeks.

http://youtu.be/NAJpByipK-c

20150321_185444.jpg

20150321_220143.jpg

20150322_132409.jpg

20150322_151702.jpg

20150322_151725.jpg

20150322_152712.jpg

I never seen a wheel cylinder without the brass flare fitting inside.

I get all my generic parts from Rockauto the parts are a deal and correct IF

YOU choose the correct ones.

Congrats on your 9inch!
Thanks! Love the shifter!! Guessing you have C4....Can't get one of those shifters on my FMX :(

Good progress

I never seen a wheel cylinder without the brass flare fitting inside.

I get all my generic parts from Rockauto the parts are a deal and correct IF

YOU choose the correct ones.

Congrats on your 9inch!
Thanks! Love the shifter!! Guessing you have C4....Can't get one of those shifters on my FMX :(

Good progress
I have FMX with B&M Megashifter got it with the car.

Looks like shifter was for C6 with slightly modified cable

bracket and home made tranny ear. Can B done.

Latest posts

Back