Grabber Blue 72. Car parts birthday ideas needed

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don65Stang

Reaction score
My Car
Several.
[Edit: I made this post into a build thread since the question also makes a good intro to the project -code name: Andrew's Blue Seventy-Two. This will also be good motivation to pick up the pace since the deadline isn't that far off.]

As many of you may recall, my soon to be 14 year old son and I are fixing up the Grabber blue Mach 1 for him to drive when he turns 16 in a couple of years. I have a couple of weeks until the birthday. Here are a few pics of the car:

IMG-20120603-00113.jpg72 Mach 1 -A.JPG72 Mach I-Side 2.JPG72 Mach I - Rear.JPG

Each birthday and Christmas I have been buying him things the car will need as motivational gifts for those occasions. So far he has a windshield, steering wheel, Mach 1 sports upholstery, carpet, and a dancing hula doll for the dash among other things.

40795_m-132x132.jpg

I'm a little stuck on picking out the next gift. We are working on cleaning up the engine bay so chassis black paint is currently needed but I don't want to buy him paint as a present. He want's Mag 500 wheels but it's too soon for those. Even though we're not ready to install the interior I'm thinking about a new dash pad. He could put it across the back of his dresser in his bedroom since it's about the same length and put the hula doll on it too. I could clean up the tach and speedometer cluster I bought for his car. That would also look cool on the corner of his dresser or on top of the small TV in his room. The partially assembled seats are already in his room and are planned to be used as furniture when he's racing his Mach 1 of Forza on the playstation.

He's also getting (14) 50 round boxes of the ultra hard to find .22LR ammo. So what do you think...new dash pad? I'm open to all ideas in that price range. Hmm, dash pad for his birthday and tach cluster for Christmas.

[Edit # 2] P.S. I love my wife! She's basically letting us build a Mach 1 in his bedroom one piece at a time... or perhaps she doesn't realize the master plan yet. :whistling: I need to find some light blue room accents and/or LED light strips to shine upward on one of the walls to add to the grabber blue Mach 1 theme we've got going on up there.

417exaZPJPL._SX300_.jpg

high-power-18w-rgb-led-wall-washer-light.jpg

8061LED21-IS.jpg

And with that the light came on for a few more gift ideas. Arrharhar

The dash pad is a Great Idea!

Talk him into keeping those aluminum wheels!

Get him a rear view mirror air freshener
I hadn't thought about keeping those wheels. They are 14", skinnys on the front and wide in the rear.

The air freshener would be a good stocking stuffer gift. Good idea!

I think a nicely refurbished set of wiring harnesses would be trick. :D:p

Wow...some very good ideas I hadn't thought of!

Beautiful car...

He's a lucky boy indeed...
Thanks. The body is in pretty good shape. It needs a few things and the current color is awful. It is a weird muted blue of some sort with zero shine to it. He wants to paint it the late model version of grabber blue and add black hockey stripes and Tu-tone hood. His interior is the blue Mach 1 sports seats. It will be a nice looking car when done and definitely the coolest car in the high school parking lot.

There is no way I would just give a restored Mach 1 to a teenager. He will have a lot of sweat equity and some of his own money in it. Hopefully that will make him appreciate it as a rare car and as such take good care of it. That's my theory anyway. I let you know in a few years how it works out. It's not like I hide anything from you guys. ;)

Don,

A nice new rear bumper, temporarily mounted above or close to the LED lights would give a nice touch to reflect on what will be the future Mustang.

mustang7173

Don,

A nice new rear bumper, temporarily mounted above or close to the LED lights would give a nice touch to reflect on what will be the future Mustang.

mustang7173
Yeah man! Great idea! Yesterday I ordered a LED wall wash light for his bedroom. We can mount the existing rear bumper until he gets a new one as a future gift. That'll look awesome on his wall with the blue lights shining on it from below.

Back