Header Selection

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok,

we have a 70 429 in our 71. Have power brakes, power steering and a c6. We have Hooker Super comps ceramic coated. Fit great because the back 2 pipes on each side have a slip fit and come apart. Can't imagine trying to get anything else in that crowded compartment. Fit good with good access to spark plugs.

429 and 460 externally identical. PS will need a drop base air filter to fit under hood

Ok,

we have a 70 429 in our 71. Have power brakes, power steering and a c6. We have Hooker Super comps ceramic coated. Fit great because the back 2 pipes on each side have a slip fit and come apart. Can't imagine trying to get anything else in that crowded compartment. Fit good with good access to spark plugs.

429 and 460 externally identical. PS will need a drop base air filter to fit under hood
Thanks .Heard that about the Hookers think thats what we will use.Building the motor with a Torker II intake for Hood clearance. Thanks Marc is youe motor stock ?

I've got Hooker Supercomps 2 1/8" primaries with 3 1/2" collectors and 3 1/2" exhaust from the collectors via X-pipe and through the gravelshield. They do their job, but I am not big fan of the headers when they go under the lower control arms as this ones does.

I would try Ford Power Train Applications tri-y shorties for 429/460. My friends 514 cid Mustang has them, no complains and huge ground clearence.

http://www.fordpowertrain.com/FPAindex/Mustang1.htm

Remember that the 1 7/8" primaries headers can support plenty of hp. Take a look at this chart if you haven't visited www.460ford.com pages earlyer:

http://www.460ford.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119213

Anyway, good luck with your 460 project. One of the big reasons why I am not owning and driving a '69 Mustang SR/Mach1 is due to it was planned for FE and '71-'73 was made wide enough to accommodate the 429 (even the boss 429). I wanted a Mustang that I don't have to chop the shock towers in the first place to make room for the 429/460 cid engine. Now years later I would gladly get rid of the shock towers but I am still glad that I ended up with the big pony. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Marc, our 429 has forged pistons 9.5 cr comp cams hyd roller cam comp cam guides, studs, roller rockers and stud gird. high ford racing covers to clear, perform air gap 800 cfm holley pump and reg. an braided ss lines. wilwood 4 piston 12" 4 wheel discs. custom narrowed 9" rear fitted with tcp torque arm, 5 leaf narrowed springs 3.91 trac loc 17x10 ar rear and 17x8 front wearing bgf comp ta. special built c6, bm quiksilver, 8x11 flat plate trans cooler, griffen rad derral 4000 cfm dual fans March billet system classic air, Nu Vintage dash gauges. sikkens screaming yellow with black pearl boss 302 inspired style stripes. a resto mod not a restored mach. still in process

Have FPA's on mine. Best fitting header I've ever used. Once I had it on the lift, took me about 30-45 mins to install. Passenger side slips right in. Unbolt the motor mount on the drivers side, raise up a hair and then it'll slide right in. Nice think flanges. Ball and socket collectors so no gaskets to blow out. My car is lowered and the FPA's are no where near the ground, I have plenty of clearance. Price is a little steep, but worth it if you hate fighting headers, lol.

Thunderguns,

Did you have ANY (left side) clearance issues with the steering box, frame, trans, etc.?

If not, how close is the closest tube to any contact/interference?

Have any pics?

No clearance issues on mine, but one tube is real close to the steering box. The steering box is the reason you need to jack up the drivers side a bit. Sorry I don't have any pics, but I can try to take some. Other than that it cleared my frame and C6 just fine.

I've got Hooker Supercomps 2 1/8" primaries with 3 1/2" collectors and 3 1/2" exhaust from the collectors via X-pipe and through the gravelshield. They do their job, but I am not big fan of the headers when they go under the lower control arms as this ones does.

I would try Ford Power Train Applications tri-y shorties for 429/460. My friends 514 cid Mustang has them, no complains and huge ground clearence.

Remember that the 1 7/8" primaries headers can support plenty of hp. Take a look at this chart if you haven't visited www.460ford.com pages earlyer:

Anyway, good luck with your 460 project. One of the big reasons why I am not owning and driving a '69 Mustang SR/Mach1 is due to it was planned for FE and '71-'73 was made wide enough to accommodate the 429 (even the boss 429). I wanted a Mustang that I don't have to chop the shock towers in the first place to make room for the 429/460 cid engine. Now years later I would gladly get rid of the shock towers but I am still glad that I ended up with the big pony. :)
Thanks !!!

Marc, our 429 has forged pistons 9.5 cr comp cams hyd roller cam comp cam guides, studs, roller rockers and stud gird. high ford racing covers to clear, perform air gap 800 cfm holley pump and reg. an braided ss lines. wilwood 4 piston 12" 4 wheel discs. custom narrowed 9" rear fitted with tcp torque arm, 5 leaf narrowed springs 3.91 trac loc 17x10 ar rear and 17x8 front wearing bgf comp ta. special built c6, bm quiksilver, 8x11 flat plate trans cooler, griffen rad derral 4000 cfm dual fans March billet system classic air, Nu Vintage dash gauges. sikkens screaming yellow with black pearl boss 302 inspired style stripes. a resto mod not a restored mach. still in process
Sweet !!!!

Have FPA's on mine. Best fitting header I've ever used. Once I had it on the lift, took me about 30-45 mins to install. Passenger side slips right in. Unbolt the motor mount on the drivers side, raise up a hair and then it'll slide right in. Nice think flanges. Ball and socket collectors so no gaskets to blow out. My car is lowered and the FPA's are no where near the ground, I have plenty of clearance. Price is a little steep, but worth it if you hate fighting headers, lol.
FPA ? Sounds good how much and where can i get them ? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks !!!

Sweet !!!!

FPA ? Sounds good how much and where can i get them ? Thanks
http://www.fordpowertrain.com/FPAindex/headers2.htm

Go with the FPA headers. I have the Hooker super comp. 2 1/8" tubes,3 1/2" collectors ceramic coated headers like some others here and i did not like them at all from the begining. The craftsmenship sucked, pin holes in the welds and I ended up having to fab. up the number 3,4,7,8 tubes because I did not want to drill any holes in the fender apron and the bends that they put in had a few kinks in some of the tubes. I also wanted to gain as much graound clearance as possible.

It took me hours to fab up and get them to fit. Yes they look good now but I cringe if I have to pull them off. Go with the FPA and you will be happy. I know if anything happens to mine that is what I am going to do.

Go with the FPA headers. I have the Hooker super comp. 2 1/8" tubes,3 1/2" collectors ceramic coated headers like some others here and i did not like them at all from the begining. The craftsmenship sucked, pin holes in the welds and I ended up having to fab. up the number 3,4,7,8 tubes because I did not want to drill any holes in the fender apron and the bends that they put in had a few kinks in some of the tubes. I also wanted to gain as much graound clearance as possible.

It took me hours to fab up and get them to fit. Yes they look good now but I cringe if I have to pull them off. Go with the FPA and you will be happy. I know if anything happens to mine that is what I am going to do.
thanks

I put both Hooker Super Comps and Comps on my 71 back in 1987. The Supers required cutting the fender apron and hung too low. I flattened all the bottom tubes in less than a month. Regular Hookers fit a bit tighter.

Leon

Both hooker designs will drag all over town. dyno proven, 1 3/4" primary, 3" collectors work best on 429/460 and after i installed the HEDMAN HUSTLER headers my 429 was peppy. they fit very well with great ground clearance. they wont work with the factory z bar for your clutch. [i am currently switching back to toploader with hyd clutch puller slave.]

Back