Headers without the clearance issue

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CMasters210

Reaction score
My Car
•1971 Mustang Coupe
•351C 4V CJ heads
•Holley strip dominator
• Comp Cam Magnum 32-541-8
•T-56 Magnum conversion
• 9" Dertroit locker 3.70 rear end
•Mallory Unilite ignition
• 1.73 ratio Crane race gold rockers
What are some recommendations for headers on street vehicle with long tube performance but are nicely tucked in for ground clearance?

71 coupe, 351C mated to a T-56

71 coupe, 351C mated to a T-56
Hooker Competition Long Tubes seem pretty tight to me. I've heard others complain about them being too low, but mine don't seem to hang down all that far (I think they're not more than an inch lower than the Global West sub-frame connectors, anyway).

522794_453452127999044_1520165078_n.jpg

545048_456794410998149_1520999431_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Those look great, I had hooker comps in mind for a while. Looks nice and tidy! I only get around 2.9 inches of clearance from the lowest point of my exhaust. :|

Those look great, I had hooker comps in mind for a while. Looks nice and tidy! I only get around 2.9 inches of clearance from the lowest point of my exhaust. :|
Thanks, Man!

My suspension hasn't settled yet (everything is all new), I don't have all the sheet metal and stuff back on, and I haven't had it off the lift in over a year. It also currently has 14" rims with 195/70-R14s... which might change upward just a little with the 15" rims and 60-series BFGs I have planned.

I've heard the Hedmans fit in a little tighter, and that the Hookers hang too low. I guess we'll find out - but they don't seem too low to me. There are also no clearance issues with even an AOD swapped in for the stock FMX - just don't use the 'square-ish' Ron Morris cross-member - it won't quite fit right, and the collectors will hit. In the other picture, I had just cut down the original FMX cross-member (to clear the pan) and it fit just fine.

533372_452720158072241_367635158_n.jpg

Hope that helps!

I had hookers on mine. They were smashed up pretty good but I will probable get the same set as the work ok with the AOD i'm planning. My car was lowered at least and inch BTW.

Ahh, I am planning to lower an inch all around after I get this exhaust sorted out. How much clearance were you lookin at with your set up?

Ahh, I am planning to lower an inch all around after I get this exhaust sorted out. How much clearance were you lookin at with your set up?
I won't know for a while. My car it in pieces right now. Maybe someone with hookers and lowered will chime in.

I had Headman headers on my 351c 2v 71 Grande with no fitment concerns at all and never had leaks. The Black jack/cyclone headers I had were another story. They fit real close to the starter and trans pan.

I would be more concerned about the clearance around the T56. I think that is where you will find issues (if there are any) as the headers weren't designed for that application.

My tuner likes Hooker super comps because they are easy to install and fit easily. A huge bonus. I have looked at real Doug Thorley headers and they are top quality but are very expensive. But why cant we get shorty headers? I mean Ferrari puts shorty headers on their new cars! They spend millions on their exhaust R&D....they must know what they are doing!

Sure do wish Sanderson would verify a 460 fitment on our cars. They were less than helpful when I asked :(

The fitment is nice, and all but the cross member supplied from american powertrain didn't tuck up too well. I need to find some headers that tuck up so I can connect intermidiate pipes that cross OVER the crossmember.

How much down would you guess?

If I have to take the loss with shorties then so be it, just more reason to stroke the motor to compensate...well MORE than compensate haha

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back