Headers

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darren 72

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1
Looking for some feedback on some headers.  Any suggestion on what I should put in my 72 mach 1.  It has a 73 block.  Looking at different options.

Thanks

Engine? Transmission?
Looking for exhaust headers.  Saw some long tube Hookers.  Wondering if any issues.  I think it will fit C6 trans.  Not sure if there are issues with certain manufacturers.  I guess would like to hear some success stories.  I think the ones I pulled out many years ago didn't fit.  The guy shimmied the motor up with washers.   Pretty bad.  Must not have had the clearance.  That's my worry.  And then it looks like the threaded rod from the carb to air cleaner was to high and when he initially closed it it dented the hood.  Not a lot of thought went into the original rebuild of this car.  Definitely the rebuild was Disney World.

Thanks for the reply,

Darren

351C

C6

There are a lot of posts on the forum about fitment of various brands. You can search for headers under the "More" tab at the upper right of this page.

It helps to let everyone know what engine and transmission you have and are wanting to install headers on. Some will mate to the engine but not work with certain transmissions. Different size engines have different fitment issues.

There are a lot of posts on the forum about fitment of various brands. You can search for headers under the "More" tab at the upper right of this page.

It helps to let everyone know what engine and transmission you have and are wanting to install headers on. Some will mate to the engine but not work with certain transmissions. Different size engines have different fitment issues.
Great...thanks Don.

First, you need to know which heads you have. There are 2V (2 barrel) and 4V (4 barrel) heads. The exhaust port is different between the two, so you need to know which you have. They are easily identified by a 2 or 4 cast into the head at corners of the casting on the intake side.

4V heads: 6915HKR

https://summitracing.com///parts/hok-6915hkr

2V heads: 6921HKR

https://summitracing.com///parts/hok-6921hkr

-or-

4V heads - Hedmann 88320

There are others, just pay attention to whether they fit 2V or 4V heads

https://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/headers/engine-size/5-8l-351/engine-family/ford-cleveland/year/1971/make/ford/model/mustang?SortBy=DisplayPrice&SortOrder=Ascending

I prefer the Hookers, as 1) they are the only sub-$500 headers that work with a manual transmission, 2) they fit great and 3) the collector flange is welded to the header. This keeps the collector gasket from leaking, as the exhaust isn't trying to saw through the gasket every time the engine is running. 

That said, they are tight to the pan on a C-6. I ran them for several years in a 70 Torino with a C-6 and never had any heat related issues.

I love my new hookers! Lol, couldn’t refuse. But really I do, just got some new black ceramic coated competition hookers for my 351 4v with a c6 trans. They fit with no problems and I can definitely say that they reduced my under hood temperature too.

Back