Hello from the Bay Area

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the warm welcomes. I will get more pictures up soon. I need to replace the pinion seal and heater core on the mustang this weekend. The Comet requires a lot of metal work unfortunately.

There are a lot of folks in this group with some really nice 71-73 Mustangs. Lynda found both of these Mustangs of ours. The 1973 Mach 1 originally had a 302 2v with a C4 auto tranny and a 2.79:1 rear axle. The prior owner replaced the 302 with a 351W (not C) that was moderately built for street/strip performance (360 HP at the crankshaft), and replaced the rear axle with a 3.5:1 TractionLok gear set. We replaced the C4 with an AOD. We also installed a Classic Air A/C system, an aluminum 3 row radiator with dual electric fans, a Dakota VHX analog gauge based instrument panel, ACP full length center console, mounted a Garmin GPS and wireless backup camera, an LED set of taillight panels with sequential turn signal flashing, and a DashCam. The Mach 1 is now a decently performing vehicle that is a joy to cruise in with the AOD. In 2020 we had it deeply restored and painted in PPG Sunset Orange, a translucent, small particle metallic shot over a base white. The black surfaces were shot in PPG Hot Rod Black Matte. It is a striking beautiful Mustang that is all trimmed out with its from spoiler, rear wing, rear window louver slats, and a set of Dzus hood lockdowns. It runs as good as it looks.

Out 2nd 73 Mustang is a but more docile. It is a 302 2v, c4 equipped True Survivor Convertible that had been barn stored for over 40 years. It has a just a little over 20,000 original miles on it, and is in near perfect unrestored condition. The only work done to it is the convertible top was replaced, and the original ires were replaced due to the sidewalls beginning to crack on account of their age. We did the same upgrades to it as with the Mach 1 other than the engine, transmission, and rear axle remaining pure stock (2.79:1 rear axle). It is also a lot of fun to drive, even though it is not nearly as fast as the Mach 1. We especially enjoy taking it out on the road on sunny days with the top down. Even though the A/C being added was not really needed we did it anyway. No regrets.

We also have a 1969 Shelby GT500 that is in near perfect condition as well. To round out the 69 Shelby we also have a 2020 Shelby GT500 I wanted as part of an "older & newer" bookend set of GT500s. Finally, Lynda also found and purchased a 1997 Honda Del Sol SI with a little over 30,000 original miles on it - again in near perfect condition.

We do have our fun in Car Season (April - November) up here in Snow Country (just outside Rochester, NY). Lynda and I both have fun tinkering with and working on the pony cars. It is very rre for me to be doing any kind of work on them without here in the garage with me helping with the work, fetching tools or handing me parts, and her taking all kinds of videos we post on YouTube showing folks how we do certain kinds of repair and work on them. It is a blast being married to a Mustang/Shelby Gal. How lucky am I? But wait, there's more! Now being retired I am able to enjoy having these great vehicles to share with Lynda pretty much full time. We do suffer during Winter Hibernation, though, when the pony/sports/muscle cars as put away. They only get driven on dry roads and in dry weather.

Attachments

• IMG_5456.JPG
    IMG_5456.JPG
    269.5 KB · Views: 1
  • >>>FRONTLEFTSIDEVIEW -1969-Shelby-GT500-copy.jpg
    >>>FRONTLEFTSIDEVIEW -1969-Shelby-GT500-copy.jpg
    425.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3877.JPG
    IMG_3877.JPG
    257.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3853.PNG
    IMG_3853.PNG
    608.8 KB · Views: 0
Thought you might like to know, either the front bumper was changed, or it is a 73. In 71 the front bumpers were chrome. Only 73 had rubber coated bumpers. like mine. Looks somewhat like mine except mine is faded and original paint. I also have the 351 4v C with 3.25 torc lock. Have Marti Motors do a search on your car and give you a readout. You might find out the car is worth more than you think.

Thought you might like to know, either the front bumper was changed, or it is a 73. In 71 the front bumpers were chrome. Only 73 had rubber coated bumpers. like mine. Looks somewhat like mine except mine is faded and original paint. I also have the 351 4v C with 3.25 torc lock. Have Marti Motors do a search on your car and give you a readout. You might find out the car is worth more than you think.
The Decor Group option added the honeycomb grill and color-keyed urethane bumper in 72.

Hello,

I do have the original build sheet for the car and remember my dad picking it up from the dealer. The bumper was on the car at that time. I will dig up some pictures from my moms house and post to show.

Back