Hello my name GERMY from Texas, do you love my 1972 Mustang Fastback 351W ?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome from West Texas! Mine looked very similar when I got it (right down to the wheels), although I think yours is a much nicer starting point. Glad you got it running - it also looks like you have a lot of viable parts you can clean-up and re-use. Good for you! Keep us posted on your progress and ask all the questions you need to... these guys are the best source for '71-'73 Mustangs around and the best cheerleaders as well. Good luck!
Thanks. Yes, I was impressed by how much of the original parts the previous owner/owners held on to, and left in the trunk. The first phase of my restore is to slap stuff back together to get it to pass state inspection this last time (2024) and get the plates. Then tear it down and start attacking the rust, etc. No more inspection for Texans starting 2025.

Welcome from NE, PA

As you can see already the folks on this site have way more knowledge that any AI or ChatBot! LOL
Indeed! Great site. I also need to give a shout out to RPM Auto on Youtube who did a 5 year restoration on a 1972 and made hundreds of detailed videos on it. <P>

Hemikiller, do you know which AC Brackets I need if I keep the 351W ? I have one of the old brackets from the 351C (the big flat square one where the compressor sits), I'm wondering if those 351C are interchangeable or if I need to track that down 351W version too when I install the AC stuff.

You'll need a 351W AC bracket due to the different bolt pattern on the head. The large pivot bolt for the power steering pump passes through the lowermost hole, so you'd need to get the correct PS bracket as well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/276020960983?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28

MustangTek is a great resource for info on all sorts of parts.

https://www.mustangtek.com/

Thanks. Yes, I was impressed by how much of the original parts the previous owner/owners held on to, and left in the trunk. The first phase of my restore is to slap stuff back together to get it to pass state inspection this last time (2024) and get the plates. Then tear it down and start attacking the rust, etc. No more inspection for Texans starting 2025.
I'm putting my '80 Jeep CJ-7 back together and will need one last inspection sticker myself.

I have mixed feelings on doing away with the safety inspections, considering there are plenty of cars on the road with approved safety inspections/stickers that have no business being there. I don't have a problem with the inspections, more of a minor inconvenience than anything, but I do believe minimum safety standards should be met before allowing the ones that qualify as deathtraps back on the road. People drive poorly enough as it is - I don't appreciate someone's ragged-out farm truck essentially falling apart on the road in front of me at highway speeds.

You'll need a 351W AC bracket due to the different bolt pattern on the head. The large pivot bolt for the power steering pump passes through the lowermost hole, so you'd need to get the correct PS bracket as well.

Welcome from Opelika, Alabama
Your Mach 1 will be a nice one when you get it finished, keep us all posted on your progress
Will do. Thanks Bill

Welcome from NW Oregon, at least your starting with a running car, good luck.
Thanks James. yes, starting with a running car, and I just decoded the Buck tag which matches my Dash Vin and the TITLE, and also matches up to paint code/ interior code on the car, so I'm excited about that. (the door vin tag is long gone though)

Hemikiller, I installed the Windsor PS bracket in, and everything lines up nice. However, The 6inch long bolt at the top of the pump is going to the upper right Head hole above the freeze plug. Does that look correct ? It also looks like the Lower Radiator hose is going to be fairly close to the PS Vbelt. windsor_bracket.jpg
head_hole.jpgwp_out.jpg

Welcome and a solid car for a good starting point. This site is amazing with some great people that are very knowledgeable about these cars. If you ever venture north to Georgetown let me know. Tim

Last edited:
Hemikiller, I installed the Windsor PS bracket in, and everything lines up nice. However, The 6inch long bolt at the top of the pump is going to the upper right Head hole above the freeze plug. Does that look correct ? It also looks like the Lower Radiator hose is going to be fairly close to the PS Vbelt. View attachment 86851
View attachment 86852View attachment 86853
If you tighten the 2 bolts holding the PS bracket to the water pump, then I believe you should have a large gap between the bracket and the driver's side head. That gap is large enough for the power steering pump and a spacer. On an AC car, the AC bracket acts as a spacer. Without the AC bracket, you may need the correct spacer, or cobble together a stack of washers.

This moves your PS pump forward a bit and helps give room for the lower radiator hose to make it around without hitting the PS belt.

1711323328023.png

This is a picture of my janky setup on my 351W car. All-thread with a nut and a stack of washers as a spacer. And some aftermarket chrome adjustment arm. Its been like this 20 years and hasn't given me any trouble.
1711323641215.png

Last edited:
If you tighten the 2 bolts holding the PS bracket to the water pump, then I believe you should have a large gap between the bracket and the driver's side head. That gap is large enough for the power steering pump and a spacer. On an AC car, the AC bracket acts as a spacer. Without the AC bracket, you may need the correct spacer, or cobble together a stack of washers.

This moves your PS pump forward a bit and helps give room for the lower radiator hose to make it around without hitting the PS belt.

View attachment 87019

This is a picture of my janky setup on my 351W car. All-thread with a nut and a stack of washers as a spacer. And some aftermarket chrome adjustment arm. Its been like this 20 years and hasn't given me any trouble.
View attachment 87020
If your jankly setup, I see your 6inch bolt going to the upper right head hole, like mine, so I think I'm good. I tightened everything down today, and slapped on a lower hose and it cleared fine.

Question though. Your top pic must be from a Cleveland, correct ? I see it in the lower right head hole

If your jankly setup, I see your 6inch bolt going to the upper right head hole, like mine, so I think I'm good. I tightened everything down today, and slapped on a lower hose and it cleared fine.

Question though. Your top pic must be from a Cleveland, correct ? I see it in the lower right head hole
Yeah. Top pic is my cleveland with a stack of washers for the spacer. Bottom pic is the windsor. I painted the washers on that one black so they're harder to see.

Back