Help with wiring into ignition switch

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 mustang convertible(some day)
I'm hooking up my 4R70W controller and it requires I hook up power to "ignition switch power wire"

see pic2

pic3 is from schematics for ignition switch. If I had to guess I think it would be the "start" R-LP (red-light blue)

Pic1 is a pic of my current wiring. You can see someone spiced the R-LB wire for alarm before. There was lots of stuff taken off the red and MAYBE yellow wire.

I also need to bypass my tech to get it to work with my Pertronix as shown in attached thread

http://www.7173mustangs.com/attachment.php?aid=11538

Note that this calls for a "red and yellow wire" for ignition wire which I don't see in the schematics.

My question is does anyone know where I should tie into?

The red and light blue or red and yellow (?? not sure as this is faded as seen in pic1)

Thanks for any input!

Jim

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic3.jpg

The yellow wire is the main power feed from the battery terminal on the solenoid (or separate terminal if you have gauges).

You'll need to power the transmission controller from the same terminal that the red/light green striped (#16) wire connects to. The wire you mention is hot only when the key is in the start (crank) position.

To bypass the resistor wire you'll connect to the same connector you connect the controller to (red/light green) and run a new wire to the Pertronix module.

The schematic color code is incorrect for our cars.

The yellow wire is the main power feed from the battery terminal on the solenoid (or separate terminal if you have gauges).

You'll need to power the transmission controller from the same terminal that the red/light green striped (#16) wire connects to. The wire you mention is hot only when the key is in the start (crank) position.

To bypass the resistor wire you'll connect to the same connector you connect the controller to (red/light green) and run a new wire to the Pertronix module.

The schematic color code is incorrect for our cars.
Don,

In my pic1 I have a red and light green and a red and yellow coming from the same socket. One of the wire(red and yellow?? where yellow i cant make out for sure) already has taps off of it, two blue and one red. Is that the one I use?

Thanks Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, if that is the connector that attaches to the ignition switch and they both connect to the same terminal either the red/light green or the yellow/red wire should work.

I looked in three other wiring diagrams and couldn't find the yellow/red wire.

Jim easiest way is to tap off fuse box..Get a test light check fuse terminals while turning on key..it will light when on go off when turned off..The other lead is constant to retain memory, can go to fuse panel constant(check same way but no need to turn key) or direct to battery..ground MUST go direct to battery as per instructions..

I highly recommend that you add a relayed auxiliary circuit to power additional items. You can certainly tie into existing wiring but I'd be cautious about overloading a circuit or dealing with old wires.

I added a Painless Wiring Auxiliary relay circuit to my Torino with great success. It allows you to add multiple IGN-ON circuits and even a few BATT circuits depending on the model. I think I used the Painless 70114 3 Circuit Universal 70 Amp Fuse Block.

Back