Hey Y'all, from Georgia

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

danbond2000

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Coupe
Q code
4 speed
DSCF0543.jpgDSCF0539(1).jpgDSCF0540.jpgI got into the 71-73 Mustangs sort of by accident. I had a 67 coupe, 289 auto for a while that “dropped” a valve. Needless to say it ruined the head and cylinder block. One of my friends said, “Let’s drop in a 351 C, it will fit with a bit of hammer action”. Well, as it had an automatic, 4 drums etc. this would be the time to “improve” it I started pricing aftermarket/replacement parts, searching for a Cleveland engine as they were in several models of early 70 Ford products. What I found was complete/ running 72 Mustang coupe,351C Q code, 4 speed, 9 in diff (3.50). I ask a friend who was a hard core Ford fanatic what to look for, IE a (4) on the exhaust manifold, the bolt pattern on the differential , etc. When I called, the owner said he had just listed it but not cleaned it, could I wait till the weekend? But as a car guy you never put of a viewing and maybe miss out. Anyway, I went over after work, saw the car called my friend with the results, came back the next morning with cash,.

According to the owner, his father had ordered the car new and he wanted a Mach 1 but hated the sloping rear window so he got a coupe with Mach 1 type running gear. ( Q code engine, 4 speed, 9 inch rear end, big torsion bars etc. and “straight motor” ( no power steering A/C , etc, but got power disk brakes and rear window heater (first year)and because it had the Cobra Jet engine, it had the "Nasa" hood, the GT lights in the front and the painted rubber bumper and the gauge package inside. It also had the 3-spoke steering wheel with “rim blow” horn. Now I have a dilemma, a “broke" 67 and a later model (72) with the accessories I wanted. Well, the 72 was too original ( original paint, 0 body work, engine had never been out, interior had never been cut/ jacked up/ original wheel covers etc) to do anything but fix it up.So on the 67, I had the 289 rebuilt (found a good head/ re-sleeved the block and put it up for sale and never looked back. Since then I have replaced the rear axle bearings, the timing chain, the vinyl roof ( yes, it’s not a Grande but he ordered the roof trim), dash pad, inner roof liner and front seat covers. All in all, a good driver with a good look ( for a coupe). I could not get pictures to post here but I managed to post in the Gallery 72 "danbond2000".

Thanks for having me.

Welcome to the club, Dan, from northern Nevada. Glad to have you here.

Great story and a great looking Coupe - pictures came through just fine.

You are definitely in the right place! :)

Welcome from the Gulf Coast. Very nice story. I a '67 convertible but couldn't pass up ordering a new '72 convertible. That way I could get almost exactly what I wanted.

Welcome to the site. Thanks for sharing your story and the pictures. Looking forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome from Oklahoma.

Wow - I really like your car. I show just 1041 Q code hardtops built for 1972. I believe this number includes q code Grandes as well.

Do you have the Marti report or the factory invoice for your car? -Be interesting to see.

Very nice rare and original car.

Thanks for sharing pics and info.

Ray

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome from North Carolina and a former Columbus, GA and Augusta, GA resident.

Beautiful 72 Coupe, I have one as well but no where as nice as yours.

Like you mentioned...that's an interesting set up with the NASA hood, grill, painted front bumper, and gauge panel but no full console.

bro ur car is amazing and mine is built very much the same cept mine was born with a 302. your car is a exterior décor car but what is really intriguing is so is mine and we both got white vinyl tops. I also like the medium bright yellow looks really good

Welcome from Oklahoma.

Wow - I really like your car. I show just 1041 Q code hardtops built for 1972. I believe this number includes q code Grandes as well.

Do you have the Marti report or the factory invoice for your car? -Be interesting to see.

Very nice rare and original car.

Thanks for sharing pics and info.

Ray
I've always thought I would but I never " pulled the trigger". It's something to look forward to down the road.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back